[G SIX] LukaP's Mac Pro G5 Log [Phase: Back online]

LukaP

hooray for mac pro mods! Traying to make on myself, only now i'm stuck with fitting my PSU in the original casing.

Build log? :) I am modding mine too, but I need some aluminum for the motherboard tray

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

hooray for mac pro mods! Traying to make on myself, only now i'm stuck with fitting my PSU in the original casing.

good luck :D just take the psu out and check the heights on the psu you want to use

Build log? :) I am modding mine too, but I need some aluminum for the motherboard tray

ill just order from mountainmodz, they have mobo trays. you can also take apart an old case or something :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I also have a powermac G5 on the way, I'm getting ready to join the club.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I also have a powermac G5 on the way, I'm getting ready to join the club.

don't be afraid to notify us of a build log or something.

-starts stocking up bad jokes and some food-

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

don't be afraid to notify us of a build log or something.

-starts stocking up bad jokes and some food-

I'll definintely make a build log, i'll just have to figure out what my plan is :P

I can't decide how i want to do the PSU at all :(

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I'll definintely make a build log, i'll just have to figure out what my plan is :P

I can't decide how i want to do the PSU at all :(

well if you go mATX, you can put it like in a normal case. with ATX you cant really, so im putting it in the front. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

well if you go mATX, you can put it like in a normal case. with ATX you cant really, so im putting it in the front. 

Well, I'm  doing E-ATX to make it even more complicated :P

And it's actually possible to mount the PSU in the back with an ATX board, these people did it;

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/g5-atx-kit-with-psu-holder/

I just want to make something similar but with the PSU on the bottom if i can

Well, I'm  doing E-ATX to make it even more complicated :P

And it's actually possible to mount the PSU in the back with an ATX board, these people did it;

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/g5-atx-kit-with-psu-holder/

I just want to make something similar but with the PSU on the bottom if i can

My system will probable be a e-atx too.

I'm trying to fit a Corsair RM750 inside the original casing of the psu.

It fits, i only need to make it possible that the modular cables can be plugged in in the top of the psu case.

Yet, i'm wondering of the airflow will be good inside that flat case, 'cause normally the air comes from above, and i want to use the original fans, where the air comes from the side.

Go veg.

I guess it's time to desert this topic once those E-ATX logs pop up :P , it makes me curious

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I'll be using the mountain mods atx/matx mobo tray and the lian li psu frame. Exactly how this guy did it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/227069-former-peasant-first-build-x99-hackintosh/

I'm just waiting on the mobo frame now. I have the 80mm noctua exhaust fans, the lian li adapter, the empty G5 case, and all of the rest of the parts.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I'll be using the mountain mods atx/matx mobo tray and the lian li psu frame. Exactly how this guy did it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/227069-former-peasant-first-build-x99-hackintosh/

I'm just waiting on the mobo frame now. I have the 80mm noctua exhaust fans, the lian li adapter, the empty G5 case, and all of the rest of the parts.

That's pretty much what i'm planning on doing, except i think I'm going to try and get my own custom backplate fabricated. I'll use the Mountain Mods PCIE bracket, and just mount the motherboard directly to the back of the case. I'll have to move standoffs, but that's not a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

No updates?

currently dont have the money to get the Motherboard tray, so no point in cutting everything yet. ill be able to order the stuff on the 18th though, so i will continue then :) Thanks for caring anyway :D

We always will care!

nMwShB6.gif

Well, I'm subbed. I still prefer my G3 to the G5 though... :P

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

@LukaP I finally finished mine. I got the tray/backplate from Mountain Mods, the PSU mount from Lian Li, the Case from Craigslist, and the front cable connector from a guy who mods them over in Spain. Total case build cost was in the neighborhood of $200 - $250, including all of the Dremel bits that were used up.

Anywho, if you want me to, I'll post photos of it. It's not spectacular, but it works.

Well, I'm subbed. I still prefer my G3 to the G5 though... :P

ugh, thats one ugly piece of plastic xD But to each his own. Thanks for the sub :)

@LukaP I finally finished mine. I got the tray/backplate from Mountain Mods, the PSU mount from Lian Li, the Case from Craigslist, and the front cable connector from a guy who mods them over in Spain. Total case build cost was in the neighborhood of $200 - $250, including all of the Dremel bits that were used up.

Anywho, if you want me to, I'll post photos of it. It's not spectacular, but it works.

Sure, make a buildlog :D just mention me in it, or link it here and ill check it out. With this one, im trying to waste as little money as possible, while still having it look as if i invested however much i needed, hence why im working slow. For every step, i make sure that it will work how i want it, and that i can get the parts that i need

I totally forgot about this thread, which is a good thing you reminded me... because my G5 arrived about an hour or two ago.

Had to restrain myself from starting tearing it apart

I totally forgot about this thread, which is a good thing you reminded me... because my G5 arrived about an hour or two ago.

Had to restrain myself from starting tearing it apart

Which model did you get? 

Which model did you get? 

If specs is what you're looking for, i have no idea.

It didn't have specs listed, and i haven't had a chance to power it on as i don't have the special power cable. Also i don't think it has an OS which sucks, but for 40 dollars i can't complain.

It didn't have specs listed, and i haven't had a chance to power it on as i don't have the special power cable. Also i don't think it has an OS which sucks, but for 40 dollars i can't complain.

True. I picked up mine  for $50 on Craiglist and was happy to see that it was one of the plagued Water-cooled models.

There are specs listed on the bottom of it ;)

There are specs listed on the bottom of it ;)

What??? Looking now

Model A1047 #1969c 

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp_2.html