Study finds inverse relationship between violent video games and societal violence

Steinway

I'd agree. Personally, if I'm pissed about something, I log into a game & blow someone away there!

But then, I'm smart enough to keep my problems to myself and I had a well rounded up-bringing.

When Columbine happened, I matched the psych profile of those kids EXACTLY - with 1 difference, my parents raised me better.

Not sure about the source, but the theory matches every gamer that I know, both IRL & online. (Most of us have stable families now too!!)

This kind of study should only be taken by a grain of salt. Relax, people.

This kind of study should only be taken with a grain of salt. Relax, people.

Or sugar, if you don't like salt. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Too bad it will get ignored just like all other studies.

People who are out to demonize games don't care about science or the truth. They have already made their mind up without doing any proper research.

On a side note, I think this proves that just because you see or do something in a game does not mean you will do it in real life. This study to me proves not only that violent games don't affect people, but also that things like violent movies shouldn't affect people, sexism in movies/games shouldn't affect people, media made for lolicons shouldn't affect peoples' actions and so on.

I wish people would leave media alone...

I play a lot of violent games. I am a very empathetic person, and I hate real violence. 

But in movies and games, I know the difference between fiction and reality. Those who lack empathy don't have that distinction, as they are disconnected with human interaction. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Or cocaine, if you don't like sugar :D

In the second study on video game violence, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) ratings were used to estimate the violent content of the most popular video games for the years 1996-2011. These estimates of societal video game violence consumption were correlated against federal data on youth violence rates during the same years. Violent video game consumption was strongly correlated with declines in youth violence. However, it was concluded that such a correlation is most likely due to chance and does not indicate video games caused the decline in youth violence.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-11/ica-nlf102814.php

SAkHm7j.png

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/full

So all this study does is comparing two statistics...

If games are the reason for the decline is not known.

Before you go getting your hopes up, if you read the actual paper,  they are saying that while the statistics are there, the interpretation of violent behaviour is ambiguous depending on the study, the APA hold a different view on this thus introducing a Psychologist/psychiatrist versus media studies debate, and the terms of reference for what constitutes a violent act are so broad that "lilo and stitch" would rate the same as "a nightmare on elm street":

Violence was defined for the purpose of ratings
as “Any act (e.g., hitting, kicking, shoving, slapping, shooting, stabbing) causing
intentional harm, injury or death, including war scenes, torture, rape, strangulation,
or assault.”

I would just ignore this report and continue to be rational and think critically about what is going on.

P.S the report reads like propaganda for the movie industry, which will not go in it's favor if anyone with half a brain wants to dispute it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I prefer cinnamon sugar.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yeah... As @LAwLz pointed out, people will disregard this type of research info. They're not looking for science, they're looking for confirmation bias, much in the same way that when I'm looking at reviews for a game I'm excited for, I realised quite quickly that I was disregarding negative reviews and only looking at positive reviews.

It's just how people of the media and fixed mindsets are, and there's not much we can do to change that, sadly.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Yeah... As @LAwLz pointed out, people will disregard this type of research info. They're not looking for science, they're looking for confirmation bias, much in the same way that when I'm looking at reviews for a game I'm excited for, I realised quite quickly that I was disregarding negative reviews and only looking at positive reviews.

It's just how people of the media and fixed mindsets are, and there's not much we can do to change that, sadly.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

makes sense to me. All that rage some people build up inside themselves will be taken out on the virtual people instead of real people.

Still quite frightening that it must be taken out by killing a person at all, despite being virtual. Who knows, the person whose anger they want to release just may decide a real person as the victim.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So, my joke of a repost turned out to be true? I didn't know that you had already posted a similar thread. :lol: :D

Idk, after playing cs go for a while I really want a butterfly knife to play around with...

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

This kind of study should only be taken with a grain of salt. Relax, people.

I prefer cinnamon sugar.

Or chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate + maybe some chips too to balance it out. :P

What have I started? :o:D:P

Or chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate + maybe some chips to to balance it out. :P

I could go for some organic dark chocolate...

But that's not what you had in mind, was it :P

And a lot of gamers will ignore other research becasue it is contrary to what they want to believe.  I don't think anyone in this thread has actually read the published paper yet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I could go for some organic dark chocolate...

But that's not what you had in mind, was it :P?

I like dark chocolate. Not too sweet, but just right. :D

Or chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate + maybe some chips too to balance it out. :P

Why don't we even throw in something to drink also. Vanilla Coke?

Why don't we even throw in something drink also. Vanilla Coke?

Well, you can have vanilla coke, I prefer to not have my teeth eaten by it :P. I'll just have a lemonade. :D

Whilst we're at it lets add in some cake too and then some ice cream, what flavour ice cream is up to the individual. :P