Which is more scary for you? Flashing your motherboard bios or GPU bios? POLL

LemonSpice

GPU because...

GIGABYTE FOR THE WINNNNNNNNNNN

DUAL BIOS CHIPS!!!!

And thank goodness for that, somehow my PC nearly got bricked when the power went out! luckily I bought a 970A-D3P with dual BIOS chips, and the other kicked on! I still worry, because I don't know whether the BIOS chips reset, so I don't want to risk it...

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

And thank goodness for that, somehow my PC nearly got bricked when the power went out! luckily I bought a 970A-D3P with dual BIOS chips, and the other kicked on! I still worry, because I don't know whether the BIOS chips reset, so I don't want to risk it...

so i'v got a question, so what happened? did it boot up and say "the first chips is screwed, were using the second!" or what?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

GPU... because I've never had a graphic card that required a bios update.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Unless they both have dual bios, then the motherboard's worse, if that breaks I can't use the PC

considering the mobo is a fraction of the price, id say the gpu BUT in my case it doesnt matter cuz #gt610ftw

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

GPU... because I've never had a graphic card that required a bios update.

Yet. If you have a fully support UEFI motherboard, you actually want to upgrade the GPU BIOS for UEFI support, so that your system boot instantly, and not wait for several seconds for the image to show on screen, and then the system actually boots.

Assuming fast SSD, and Windows 8. You system should boot from shutdown, in 6sec or less, from the power button "click sound" to Windows fully loaded.

The only thing to note, is that if you ever do the upgrade, this will make the GPU no longer compatible with legacy BIOS system. It will only work on UEZFI. That is why manufactures don't do it for you. So, UEFI has a compatibility mode to support legacy GPUs (basically non UEFI ready ones), so when you do the firmware upgrade, you want to go in the UEFI setup screen, and disable compatibility, else the system won't boot. So it can be scary in thinking the GPU is dead, but it's not :)

ive never flashed gpu bios O.o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yet. If you have a fully support UEFI motherboard, you actually want to upgrade the GPU BIOS for UEFI support, so that your system boot instantly, and not wait for several seconds for the image to show on screen, and then the system actually boots.

By the time I get around to finally upgrading, I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Whatever costs more cash, to be honest I have not flashed my own BIOS on my new board as every time I go to I run away and cry.  :o

so i'v got a question, so what happened? did it boot up and say "the first chips is screwed, were using the second!" or what?

it said that the first BIOS was corrupted, and start up the second, but after that rock solid

it said that the first BIOS was corrupted, and start up the second, but after that rock solid

how does one "start up the second"?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Neither particularly scares me, but if I had to chose one it would be GPU because graphics cards are upwards of $250+ and mobos (for the average consumer, anyways) are less than $200.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I never flash anything unless it's absolutely necessary, I've never flashed a GPU and only flashed a motherboard a few times. That being said, I'd be more nervous about flashing a motherboard. It may be cheaper than a GPU, but if the flashing fails it'd be much more of a hassle to replace a mobo than a GPU.

motherboard for me. so far never had problems with the gpu and on the motherboard failed twice >.<. gpu are easy to get but for the motherboard it's not at least the socket I'm using.

Live your life like a dream.

If both was a option I would choose it. Flashing a bios is my last resort when troubleshooting and I will never do it for performance gains(because most the time its not worth the risk). For the poll though, I have flashed the bios on some motherboards and have only flashed the bios on a GPU once, so GPU flashing gets my vote.

how does one "start up the second"?

on the boot screen it primed and started the second BIOS

I normally buy cheap Mobo's because I don't really need all the features the fancy ones have. I just need USB, PS2, and DDR3 support. GPU's tend to cost way more for me, and it is very rare to have offical firmware support for a GPU flash.

Although there are a few duel BIOS AMD cards, those would probably be safer than most motherboards because you can just flip a switch if something goes wrong.

I actually managed to break my motherboard's bios at one point during a flash. Thankfully the chip was removable! However it took quite a while to fix it so ever since then I've been very paranoid whenever I have to flash my motherboard's bios. I've never even attempted to flash my GPU's bios so clearly I would be much more afraid to flash my GPU's bios.

I actually managed to break my motherboard's bios at one point during a flash. Thankfully the chip was removable! However it took quite a while to fix it so ever since then I've been very paranoid whenever I have to flash my motherboard's bios. I've never even attempted to flash my GPU's bios so clearly I would be much more afraid to flash my GPU's bios.

i had to flash mine 5 times

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I've flashed two custom 1.325v bios's on my old 780's a few times, and an even more unlocked LN2 bios on my 290x lightning, even had to re-flash the stock bios after that because the old stock bios was corrupt from the factory.

It's actually really easy!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

GPUs have BIOS updates?!

Also, Gigabyte has a nice tool to do it while in Windows, so it's no sweat.

GPUs have BIOS updates?!

Also, Gigabyte has a nice tool to do it while in Windows, so it's no sweat.

Mainly for cracking to different voltages which is what was doing

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Gpu. it just seems like a much riskier prospect to me.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

I have done both, but I would rather replace my motherboard than gpu.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

I'm one of the few people out there with a more expensive motherboard than GPU (all but the most expensive GPUs are cheaper than my X79-E WS), so I would have to say I'm more afraid to flash that. On top of it, if I flash my GPU and it fails, I have my old GPU I can put in and still use my computer, if I brick my motherboard, I would be without a desktop until I can get it replaced.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB