Current C gets hacked!

Google tried it but didn't get much attention from the media. Apple tried it and got massive attention, and continues to do so.

Google Wallet isn't big because nobody is reporting on it. Apple Pay is big because people are reporting on it.

That's very true, and rather sad. As is having both limited to certain countries.

Here in Ireland I can't even install Google Wallet yet. I really want to give it a try, especially since my bank card can do small amounts of contactless payments already.

On topic though, I think it's good that CurrentC's vulnerabilities has been shown. I hope NFC takes off more, especially in the rest of the world. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Apple pay is clearly the best solution. Because every American has a device that is made by apple, has touch id, and has nfc. That wont alienate anyone.

really?  Apple pay is the best because lots of Americans own apple?  Please, we have NFC in Aus. best pay systems are from the banks because they come with all the fraud guarantees and you don't have to setup another account with a third party.

And banks don't alienate based on what brand phone you have, they are working to include all phones. There are no artificial limitations.

One day US companies will catch up with the rest of the world and realise that anti competitive behavior actually costs sales.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

but mainly because it's a big fuck you to MCX and their anti-competitive bullshit.

I thought it was open sourced, and my (limited)understanding is that this group of retailers are trying to create not just a secure system but one that is as close to free as possible(Very much so unlike Apple pay).  I find the comments on apple pay not costing consumers as humorous and short sighted as the false concept of home buyers not being the ones paying for real estate agents, or more analogous CC point programs inflating costs on retailers who in turn raise prices for every one.

If anyone else was in the middle of financial transactions and skimming a part of every one of them as apple wants to, they'd either be a credit card company or labeled hacker doing a variant of a man in the middle attack.

IMO cash is still king.

I thought it was open sourced, and my (limited)understanding is that this group of retailers are trying to create not just a secure system but one that is as close to free as possible(Very much so unlike Apple pay).  I find the comments on apple pay not costing consumers as humorous and short sighted as the false concept of home buyers not being the ones paying for real estate agents, or more analogous CC point programs inflating costs on retailers who in turn raise prices for every one.

If anyone else was in the middle of financial transactions and skimming a part of every one of them as apple wants to, they'd either be a credit card company or labeled hacker doing a variant of a man in the middle attack.

IMO cash is still king.

I called them anti-competitive because they are currently turning off their NFC terminals so that you can't use Apple Pay, Google Wallet, SoftCard or any other NFC payment in order to push people to use CurrentC instead. Blocking competitors products in order to promote your own is anti-competitive.

Also, I think cash is crap. Having to fumble about with change, takes up space in your wallet, having to count how many bills and coins you should give the cashier, no way of keeping track of when and where you spent money and so on (I sometimes forget things like going to the cinema and starts wondering where I lost like 30 dollars).

I have almost exclusively used my debit card since I got it at the age of 15. I hate having to deal with cash. Being able to use NFC to pay would be even better if you ask me (no need to carry my wallet a lot of times).

really?  Apple pay is the best because lots of Americans own apple?  Please, we have NFC in Aus. best pay systems are from the banks because they come with all the fraud guarantees and you don't have to setup another account with a third party.

And banks don't alienate based on what brand phone you have, they are working to include all phones. There are no artificial limitations.

One day US companies will catch up with the rest of the world and realise that anti competitive behavior actually costs sales.

wow you missed my sarcasm :0

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

what If you lost your iPhone and it was your only credit card so you couldn't buy another iPhone?

Funny that Wal*Mart basically claimed that Apple Pay wasn't secure enough for them... :rollseyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/currentc-hacked-2014-10

CurrentC is sending emails to people who signed up for the beta version of the app warning them "that unauthorized third parties obtained the e-mail addresses of some of you." It doesn't sound as if it's the worst breach in the world, but it's definitely not good for CurrentC, which is just getting started.

However, it's embarrassing because Wal-Mart previously told us it wasn't supporting Apple Pay because, "Ultimately, what matters is that consumers have a payment option that is widely accepted, secure, and developed with their best interests in mind."

Wal-Mart has funny reasoning. Reasoning of which supports Apple Pay and Google Wallet as opposed to CurrentC.

And by the way, it's not just Wal-Mart. It's a lot of companies.

7-Eleven, Inc.; Alon Brands; Best Buy Co., Inc.; CVS/pharmacy; Darden Restaurants; HMSHost; Hy-Vee, Inc.; Lowe's; Michaels Stores, Inc.; Publix Super Markets, Inc.; Sears Holdings; Shell Oil Products US; Sunoco; Target Corporation and Wal-Mart

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

ohh so bad, some people got some other peoples emails... big deal..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

qTQTOao.gif

They borderline did this to themselves.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

wow you missed my sarcasm :0

It really wasn't hard to miss, your post had absolutely zero indication that it was sarcastic.

Sarcasm doesn't work on a text based medium unless you specify it or use some sort of emoticon to illustrate that it is a sarcastic remark.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It really wasn't hard to miss, your post had absolutely zero indication that it was sarcastic.

Sarcasm doesn't work on a text based medium unless you specify it or use some sort of emoticon to illustrate that it is a sarcastic remark.

if you're gonna be sarcastic make it in italics so we know your hinting another meaning or direction with the said words

if you're gonna be sarcastic make it in italics so we know your hinting another meaning or direction with the said words

"That wouldn't alienate anyone"... i think the last sentence is pretty clearly sarcasm based on context alone.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

what If you lost your iPhone and it was your only credit card so you couldn't buy another iPhone?

Ahh call your bank and get a credit card, to use an android phone (NFC terminals are the same) or another iPhone.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Funny that Wal*Mart basically claimed that Apple Pay wasn't secure enough for them... :rollseyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/currentc-hacked-2014-10

They are just clearly making up excuses, like Ubisoft they keep on digging  :D

Pascal laptops guide

IMO cash is still king.

Absolutely.  Just last year (dec 23rd, 2013) we had the whole electronic payment system break down for 2.5 hours over here. 

Everyone was shopping for Christmas presents, so of course it was chaos all over and people couldn't even get money from the ATM anymore.  Hilarious.

The government here is trying to get us to do more and more digital transactions (to combat fraud, they say :lol: ) rather than using cash.  In fact they already made it illegal to make cash payments larger than 3000 EUR. 

Imagine living in a cash-less country and the network going down ...

While we're on the subject of Cash being king, I'll let Cash express my feelings about the whole "using your phone to pay stuff" principle.

johnny-cash-finger.jpg

Absolutely.  Just last year (dec 23rd, 2013) we had the whole electronic payment system break down for 2.5 hours over here. 

Everyone was shopping for Christmas presents, so of course it was chaos all over and people couldn't even get money from the ATM anymore.  Hilarious.

The government here is trying to get us to do more and more digital transactions (to combat fraud, they say :lol: ) rather than using cash.  In fact they already made it illegal to make cash payments larger than 3000 EUR. 

Imagine living in a cash-less country and the network going down ...

While we're on the subject of Cash being king, I'll let Cash express my feelings about the whole "using your phone to pay stuff" principle.

I only want it so I don't have to deal with delivery guys who don't have change.

Pascal laptops guide

"That wouldn't alienate anyone"... i think the last sentence is pretty clearly sarcasm based on context alone.

only to you, and only because you know what your intention is, no one else does. Your comment is actually very typical of many peoples opinions on this forum.  There is literally no way to know that what you said was sarcastic esp. considering there are many who would actually believe what you said to be true.