The 10 Highest Grossing Online PC Games in 2014

Last year, no online PC games surpassed $1 billion in microtransaction revenues. This year, it looks like a handful might reach that milestone.

League of Legends has racked up $946 million in in-game spending revenues since the beginning of the year. Industry-intelligence firm SuperData Research published a breakdown of the 10 highest-grossing online PC games in terms of player spending from January through September. Unsurprisingly, developer Riot Games’ megapopular multiplayer online arena battler is the top game of the year so far. And it’s on pace, along with a few others, to bring in more than $1 billion.

League of Legends is so lucrative that it actually makes more money than World of Tanks, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, and Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft combined.

21e2786.jpg

The big movers on this list include Dota 2, which is up from No. 20 last year to No. 9, and World of Warcraft. The Blizzard massively multiplayer online game made only around $213 million from in-game spending throughout all of last year, and it has more than tripled that total just through the first nine months of this year.

Also, its new title Hearthstone managed to come in at No. 10,” said van Druenen. “That is ahead of titles like Elder Scrolls Online ($111M) and Star Wars: The Old Republic ($106M).

In-game spending is growing as more players around the world grow accustomed to free-to-play mechanics. North America has spent $1.4 billion on free-to-play games this year, but Asia has already surpassed $3 billion.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/the-10-highest-grossing-online-pc-games-in-2014-hearthstone-dota-2-cant-compete-with-league-of-legends/

Never heard of Crossfire or Dungeon Fighter Online, but they take second and third place. 

maplestory is still alive? xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

fucking crossfire, love how messed up that game is.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

cs online?, is that a variation for asian markets or are they counting all the cs on steam?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

cs online?, is that a variation for asian markets or are they counting all the cs on steam?

Asian markets

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

hey World of Tanks is on the list  :)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

wow Lineage still doing strong all these years later.. amazing

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Maplestory... the game that requires money to have fun.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Am I right in thinking the only reason WOW is on that list is its probably one of the only MMO's thats still sub based? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Crossfire is a popular SEA shooter. Crazy that it's that far up..

As for Dungeon Fighter Online, I have a sudden urge to download it and try it. Lineage 1 is still up there, which is insane considering its age and how bad I think the game is. Everything else speaks for itself or is too dumb to talk about.

Am I right in thinking the only reason WOW is on that list is its probably one of the only MMO's thats still sub based? :P

This list only takes into account revenues from in-game spending on PC (so no subscription revenue for World of Warcraft or mobile spending for Hearthstone)

fucking crossfire, love how messed up that game is.

It's so messed up that children still play it because you can play it on just about any pc.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

This list only takes into account revenues from in-game spending on PC (so no subscription revenue for World of Warcraft or mobile spending for Hearthstone)

since when did WOW have in game things to buy? ... last time i played was MOP haha

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

since when did WOW have in game things to buy? ... last time i played was MOP haha

Apparently it's been around since December of 2013. I can probably understand having to pay extra for server transfers or name changes, but personally, I think cosmetic microtransactions, subscription fees, and box costs all together is being wayyyy too greedy. I always felt that the purpose of having a subscription fee was so that no content, even cosmetic stuff, was locked behind a paywall.

But hey, those microtransactions racked up $728 million, so I guess lots of people don't feel the same way. :wacko:

I guess this means riot can finally get decent devs to fix all the fucking problems the game has

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Funny thing is, I don't play any of those games.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Fucking Crossfire. Complete knock-off of Counter-Strike.

Somewhat enjoyed that game back in the day...then ZERO fucks were given over $$. Hackers everywhere. Don't even bother to patch them over like they used to.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

MAJOR greed goin on up there. someone look up charities these guys donate too. why the hell are people still hungry in parts of the world.

Lol I don't know why but it's sad that ESO and SWTOR aren't on that list. Not sure if it's more sad for us the users (for not getting the quality we should have) or for the devs who just went in the wrong directions.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

how to make a succesful mmo (money making operation)

step one. keep it simple dev costs can add up

step too, make it slightly pay to win, not too obvious though

step three once asian market saturation has increased make more pay to win

step four watch game die in the west

step 5 look at money role in