Man sentenced for lasering plane with 118 passengers aboard

Samfisher

A simple Google search would have kept your mouth shut from false information. I said shipwrecked, or for SOS signal

Source

(For once I dropped the '/joke' and I got misunderstood...)

helicopter-laser.jpg

Source : http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/10/man-who-lasered-boeing-737-gets-a-mere-4-months-community-detention/

The punishment seems very lenient considering how severe others have been punished for similar stuff, and considering how dangerous it actually is.  Are there anti-laser glasses/windshields they can use or is there no such thing?

This is how lasers look to pilots when used on them from the ground :

effects.laser_-640x479.jpg

I'd call the 5 microwatt per square centimeter quite distracting. let's do some math.

average green laser has a beam angle of about 2 mRad, and I'll consider that the beam starts at a diameter of 0 for simplicity, as it will have little effect on the final numbers. assuming a the laser outputs 5mw of green, it would be dispersed across .1 square meters to produce such a distraction

that is a beam radius of 0.17 meters, which would be achieved at around 170 meters. 

based on this math, I think the greatest concern has to be for helicpoter pilots, which as far as I know lack autopilot, along with landing or taking off airplanes.

I think my math is right here, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

so youre telling me this dude pointed one of those tiny laser pointers up in the sky and sniped a plane with it? man this dude probs couldnt do that again in his lifetime, if he tried...

He pointed a high powered lazer at an airplane. 

http://www.wickedlasers.com/

He pointed a high powered lazer at an airplane. 

http://www.wickedlasers.com/

i see now... dear god this dude must have been bored af on that fine day, unless he did it on purpose. i wouldnt know, im too lazy to read the damn article FMLFMLFML.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Do you understand how that works? When you fly at night you won't be able to see.

not quite

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

not quite

A one-way mirror, one-way glass, or two-way glass is a mirror that is partially reflective and partially transparent. When one side of the mirror is brightly lit and the other is dark, it allows viewing from the darkened side but not vice versa.

If the inside is brighter than the outside, you can't see outside.

If the inside is brighter than the outside, you can't see outside.

got it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

helicopter-laser.jpg

Source : http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/10/man-who-lasered-boeing-737-gets-a-mere-4-months-community-detention/

The punishment seems very lenient considering how severe others have been punished for similar stuff, and considering how dangerous it actually is.  Are there anti-laser glasses/windshields they can use or is there no such thing?

Hi there, can I suggest that in the future, you add a bit more detail to your news post? You should at the very least post what the sentence was, and explain a bit better what it is that he did.

Explanation of what went on please?

What's lasering? What's the punishment?

Shining a laser into the cockpit of a plane or helicopter. RIDICULOUSLY DANGEROUS!

How do you manage to aim your laser at  a tiny moving target which is least likely to be in your line of sight from your point of view?

The plane was landing. If you live near an airport, you'd know that they can get pretty big when taking off or landing. Big enough that you'd probably be able to hit it with the laser at least for a second or two.

Pointing strong lasers at aircraft

It can be distracting, and can cause accidents

People are arrested and even jailed for these kind of things

Yep, its extremely dangerous. It could easily cause a mid-air collision during take-off or landing, or could straight up just cause the aircraft to crash.

so youre telling me this dude pointed one of those tiny laser pointers up in the sky and sniped a plane with it? man this dude probs couldnt do that again in his lifetime, if he tried...

The plane was landing, so it's much easier. He hit the cockpit for 30 seconds, which is doable.

Lose billions for people who can't afford it > get bonuses.

Point a laser at a plane + don't have money for expensive lawyers > go to jail.

LOGIC

Actually it's extremely logical. Shining a laser into the cockpit could easily cause the plane to crash, killing everyone on board. They use very harsh sentencing because of how massive the potential damage can be. What do you think would happen if a Boeing 747 crashed into a city? 9/11-style casualties are entirely possible from such a crash. If the plane actually crashed, he'd likely get charged with manslaughter (For like 300 people) at the very least.

I'd call the 5 microwatt per square centimeter quite distracting. let's do some math.

average green laser has a beam angle of about 2 mRad, and I'll consider that the beam starts at a diameter of 0 for simplicity, as it will have little effect on the final numbers. assuming a the laser outputs 5mw of green, it would be dispersed across .1 square meters to produce such a distraction

that is a beam radius of 0.17 meters, which would be achieved at around 170 meters. 

based on this math, I think the greatest concern has to be for helicpoter pilots, which as far as I know lack autopilot, along with landing or taking off airplanes.

I think my math is right here, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Indeed, the risk to a plane actually flying up at normal altitudes is quite small (though not entirely removed). It also depends on what kind of laser it is, whether it is attached to anything (For example, a laser sight attached to a rifle with a scope would be much more dangerous, as it would be easier to aim the laser), and just generally how easy the laser itself is to aim. A laser pointer would be quite difficult to aim.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

only stupid people do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btZ2y6cmRQ

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Actually it's extremely logical. Shining a laser into the cockpit could easily cause the plane to crash, killing everyone on board. They use very harsh sentencing because of how massive the potential damage can be. What do you think would happen if a Boeing 747 crashed into a city? 9/11-style casualties are entirely possible from such a crash. If the plane actually crashed, he'd likely get charged with manslaughter (For like 300 people) at the very least.

Oh re-e -e -e -eally? Just from the economics of the issue - one is potential - other is actual. So actual damage is less worthy of prosecution than potential? 

Anyway - we all know the world is not fair - still, I feel that pointing this out is important.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

only stupid people do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btZ2y6cmRQ

Especially for a Police Helicopter, that has the high-end optics to literally zoom in on your house. That guy in that video is a dumbass lol.

Oh re-e -e -e -eally? Just from the economics of the issue - one is potential - other is actual. So actual damage is less worthy of prosecution than potential? 

Anyway - we all know the world is not fair - still, I feel that pointing this out is important.

Well, yes. The world isn't black and white. If I steal a pen from Staples, that is an actual damage and an actual crime, but it should rightly so have a far less severe punishment then shining a laser into a cockpit.

Now with that in mind, I'm not saying that your example of Corporate irresponsibility should go unpunished. I do believe that the wallstreet type execs who lost millions and billions of other people's money should go to jail too.

But the severity of shining a laser into a cockpit should NOT be downplayed. They're BOTH worthy of prosecution. It's not some "competition" where only one of  the crimes must be punished.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How do you manage to aim your laser at  a tiny moving target which is least likely to be in your line of sight from your point of view?

i really wonder how they found the guy with the laser than the pilot lost the control of the wheel in air? and crashed into a cloud full of naked pictures? and all the naked pictures were made by hollywood star? that's why he got sentenced? the only way it would make sense...

Well there's this thing called landing...it requires quite a bit of focus.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I feel this problem could be fixed by using mirrored oneway glass

uhmm, that has that downside of making your windows only allow a small percentage of light through, impinging on their ability to be... well... windows

uhmm, that has that downside of making your windows only allow a small percentage of light through, impinging on their ability to be... well... windows

Now EVERY flight is a night flight :D

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

That is actually dependent on the laser. For example, here in Australia we have had massive media beat ups over the tiny little pissy lasers you get at the $2 shop and how "it could make a plane crash". Those things are so weak you can't even shine it to the end of my street let alone up to a plane.

My brother on the other hand has a laser so powerful, he got his friend to go drive out to point vernon, while he sat on the pier (a distance of about 6km - 9km), called him, had him park up on the point and managed to aim it through the windscreen and illuminate his entire car. That thing would be dangerous as hell if aimed at a landing pilot.

Edit: or a moving vehicle of just about any kind now that I think about it.

That is actually dependent on the laser. For example, here in Australia we have had massive media beat ups over the tiny little pissy lasers you get at the $2 shop and how "it could make a plane crash". Those things are so weak you can't even shine it to the end of my street let alone up to a plane.

My brother on the other hand has a laser so powerful, he got his friend to go drive out to point vernon, while he sat on the pier (a distance of about 6km - 9km), called him, had him park up on the point and managed to aim it through the windscreen and illuminate his entire car. That thing would be dangerous as hell if aimed at a landing pilot.

Edit: or a moving vehicle of just about any kind now that I think about it.

Keep in mind that even a lower powered laser will have the light amplified and diffused all throughout the cockpit of an aircraft. Though I'm sure after a few hundred meters, it will become far too weak to do even that. There is still a (small) risk even with the weak-sauce Dollar Store ones though.

I have a green dot laser for one of my guns and it is hella bright, but I'd still like to know how in fuck he'd managed to aim it into the cockpit of a moving plane, seriously. Not to mention how they knew where he was, and how they knew he specifically had the laser. Unless the plane was close to the ground or something.

Keep in mind that even a lower powered laser will have the light amplified and diffused all throughout the cockpit of an aircraft. Though I'm sure after a few hundred meters, it will become far too weak to do even that. There is still a (small) risk even with the weak-sauce Dollar Store ones though.

Green lasers tend to be a lot more powerful than red lasers, I don't know why, but they are brighter during the day, and they don't have as much spread over a distance

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have a green dot laser for one of my guns and it is hella bright, but I'd still like to know how in fuck he'd managed to aim it into the cockpit of a moving plane, seriously. Not to mention how they knew where he was, and how they knew he specifically had the laser. Unless the plane was close to the ground or something.

Green lasers tend to be a lot more powerful than red lasers, I don't know why, but they are brighter during the day, and they don't have as much spread over a distance

Must be due to the type of chemicals/technology used by the laser itself?

As for this specific incident, the plane was landing, so it was close to the ground. As for how they found him? Well he was probably being a dumb jackass and probably kept playing with the laser all the way until the police came to the location he was at. How they found him specifically? He still had the laser on his person, and admitted to using it (though denied aiming at the plane). They might have had a Police Helicopter home in on him using IR and/or Thermal optics.

The article says he had it aimed at the cockpit for 30 seconds... seems amazing he was able to do that while it was moving.

Also, the demo picture is a YAG laser, who the hell has a YAG laser laying around they can point at a plane? lol

I'd have to make some assumptions about this of course, but I think it will get the point across. First things first: during wartime shining a laser with the intention to blind someone is considered a serious enough offense to be listed as a war crime under the Protocol IV of the Convention of Certain Conventional Weapons as ratified by 103 countries in 1998. I think that's a good place to start as to how serious something like this could be taken.

Depending on the power of the green laser pointer used of course, at that wavelength and at higher powers even a glancing reflection has the ability to cause permanent blindness. Considering how easy it is to get your hands on lasers outputting >1 watt of power thanks to websites like Wicked Lasers, there would be no reason to count out that the laser used could have been one of these just as easily as it could have been something weaker. There would be no way of knowing for sure.

Disregarding the idea that attempting to cause a pilot to go blind puts hundereds of people at risk, depending on the civilian aircraft there is a chance of triggering built in laser warning recievers for active countermeasures, often fitted on Isreali passenger aircraft for obvious reasons. Triggering such a false alarm could cause major panic and would force the pilot to make a decision that could also endanger passengers.

Ignorance of the consequences is never an excuse for personal judgement like this. I think the punishment was maybe too harsh, but the possible consequences are also very far reaching. I don't know what possesses people to do things like this, but it's really hard for me to take pity on someone who does it.

Also, I am biased as a former light aircraft pilot. I figure it's only fair to put that out there.

Must be due to the type of chemicals/technology used by the laser itself?

As for this specific incident, the plane was landing, so it was close to the ground. As for how they found him? Well he was probably being a dumb jackass and probably kept playing with the laser all the way until the police came to the location he was at. How they found him specifically? He still had the laser on his person, and admitted to using it (though denied aiming at the plane). They might have had a Police Helicopter home in on him using IR and/or Thermal optics.

What a moron. I do remember hearing something about the green wavelength some how better for a laser than the wavelength for red light.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I do remember hearing something about the green wavelength some how better for a laser than the wavelength for red light.

It has to do with the sensitivity of colors to the human eyes. It takes a lot of theory to fully explain, but let me simplify this as best as I can.

Our eyes can see three main colors: red, green, and blue. This results in three cones of light, which is where the RGB additive color gamut comes from. The arrangement is not arbitrary; it relates to the position of the cones in the color spectrum. As "green" lies in between "red" and "blue", it covers the widest range of the spectrum. That makes us see more shades of green than we see shades of red or blue. It is also why, on a camera sensor, there are 2 pigments of green light per pixel, where red and blue only get one each (this is called a Bayer Filter).

More information: [1] [2] [3]

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.