Samsung develops 60GHz Wi-Fi 802.11ad technology with five times data transmission speed

Nineshadow

Samsung Electronics announced the development of its 60GHz Wi-Fi technologya five-fold increase from 866Mbps, or 108MB per second, the maximum speed possible with existing consumer electronics devices.

Samsung Electronics’ 60GHz Wi-Fi Technology

Accelerates Data Transmission by Five Times

Commercially viable 60GHz millimeter-wave band Wi-Fi technology

to benefit wide variety of connected devices

Samsung Electronics announced the development of its 60GHz Wi-Fi technology that enables data transmission speeds of up to 4.6Gbps, or 575MB per second, a five-fold increase from 866Mbps, or 108MB per second, the maximum speed possible with existing consumer electronics devices. As a result, a 1GB movie will take less than three seconds to transfer between devices, while uncompressed high-definition videos can easily be streamed from mobile devices to TVs in real-time without any delay.

“Samsung has successfully overcome the barriers to the commercialization of 60GHz millimeter-wave band Wi-Fi technology, and looks forward to commercializing this breakthrough technology,” said Kim Chang Yong, Head of DMC R&D Center of Samsung Electronics. “New and innovative changes await Samsung’s next-generation devices, while new possibilities have been opened up for the future development of Wi-Fi technology.”

Unlike the existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi technologies, Samsung’s 802.11ad standard 60GHz Wi-Fi technology maintains maximum speed by eliminating co-channel interference, regardless of the number of devices using the same network. By doing so, Samsung’s new technology removes the gap between theoretical and actual speeds, and exhibits actual speed that is more than 10 times faster than that of 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi technologies.

Until now, there have been significant challenges in commercially adopting 60GHz Wi-Fi technology , as millimeter waves that travel by line-of-sight has weak penetration properties and is susceptible to path loss, resulting in poor signal and data performance. By leveraging millimeter-wave circuit design and high performance modem technologies and by developing wide-coverage beam-forming antenna, Samsung was able to successfully achieve the highest quality, commercially viable 60GHz Wi-Fi technology.

In addition, Samsung also enhanced the overall signal quality by developing the world’s first micro beam-forming control technology that optimizes the communications module in less than 1/3,000 seconds, in case of any changes in the communications environment. The company also developed the world’s first method that allows multiple devices to connect simultaneously to a network.

As is the case with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrum, the 60GHz is an unlicensed band spectrum across the world, and commercialization is expected as early as next year. Samsung plans to apply this new technology to a wide range of products, including audio visual and medical devices, as well as telecommunications equipment. The technology will also be integral to developments relevant to the Samsung Smart Home and other initiatives related to the Internet of Things.

*All functionality features, specifications, and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.

SOURCE

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No more interference!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yeah, that'd have no penetration ability, probably one room only. It's be cool in like a large room, but you'd need a new wireless router for each room of your house likely

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

60Ghz, Dayum, But the Distance is probably completely Poop

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

I noticed a lack of range specified. That probably couldn't go through a wet paper bag.

This seems more like a novelty to me. Maybe we could use it for wireless displays but other than that I can't really see the point of it. Maybe for ad-hoc file transfers but that's about it. The range will just be too bad.

Frequency that high is pretty impressive but the range is just so bad. 

Wow, you just stole this article out of my hand... 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

As is the case with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrum, the 60GHz is an unlicensed band spectrum across the world, and commercialization is expected as early as next year. Samsung plans to apply this new technology to a wide range of products, including audio visual and medical devices, as well as telecommunications equipment. The technology will also be integral to developments relevant to the Samsung Smart Home and other initiatives related to the Internet of Things.

Well that isn't true at all

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

But...but...bigger numbers...more jiggahurts izz bettter!

I hope each device comes with a free Geiger counter

I can't tell if you were joking, but it's a non ionizing bandwidth, at 60Ghz it will be just under the light spectrum and just above radar, so Unless you crank the power to 100 of watts and suffer at worse a burn, it won't be dangerous to the human body. It's frequencies from UV and up that we have to be careful of.

The distance issue might be a good thing, it could help stop people wifi snooping from he street while allowing you to have super fast networks inside.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm thinking deathray right about now with that large antenna.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

At first I thought this could be really useful for cell phone to cell phone communication via NFC, but then I realized that most phone flash memory only has a read/write speed of 50-90 MBps, thus making even wireless-AC plenty fast. But if we ever get faster flash memory, this could be useful for NFC on phones and any other such technology.

AC is faster then most people internet and most people store large files on hdd that only write around 100mb/s so whats the point of having wifi that quick. unless you are in a office with lots of people that much bandwidth is pointless.

I could persoanlly care less simply because the speeds that American ISPs deliver can be transmitted through two soup cans and a string. 

Local file transfer and large wifi networks, I guess. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I could persoanlly care less simply because the speeds that American ISPs deliver can be transmitted through two soup cans and a string. 

Same here. I never actually have used our home network to transfer files, so more bandwidth doesn't mean anything to me. It probably means a lot to a big business though.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Well, different strokes for different folks? I stream 1080p content from a NAS at my house, from everything to my living room and various other tvs throughout the house. This technology will definitely help in the transition to 4k content.

Nice! Now it is a bit more conceivable to have a future without cables even on small to medium business environments.

Yes, definitely. I don't consider myself my a small business, even though I have an office in my home, but I do weekly backups of all my computers, and actually archive many of my work and university documents on my NAS.

Quicker access times and more throughput is always welcome.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

At first I thought this could be really useful for cell phone to cell phone communication via NFC, but then I realized that most phone flash memory only has a read/write speed of 50-90 MBps, thus making even wireless-AC plenty fast. But if we ever get faster flash memory, this could be useful for NFC on phones and any other such technology.

Not so much for the total possible throughput but because when you have multiple users on the one network and you get even a little interference the number of packets dropped that have to be resent can slow down a network considerably.  This sort of network has the potential to do what AC/N can do at the best of times but while suffering interference.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

wow, i think we gona see "Samsung Car" before "Apple Car" soon i guess.

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

AC is faster then most people internet and most people store large files on hdd that only write around 100mb/s so whats the point of having wifi that quick. unless you are in a office with lots of people that much bandwidth is pointless.

No, AC is not anywhere near fast enough.

Let's say you got the best AC router currently on the market, the Asus AC87U. That has a peak throughput of 1733Mbps on the 5GHz band. Oh, but then you have to take into consideration multipathing, interference, packet loss, protocol overhead and a wide variety of things that plagues wireless.

When speaking very rough numbers you usually say you get about half of the theoretical max speed with wireless. So now we are down to about 866Mbps of half duplex (can only send or receive, not both at the same time). On top of that, only one client can send at any time. If you got two computers they have to share that 866Mbps. So if you are going to send something wirelessly from one client to another you got 2 clients sharing that 866Mbps. So the file transfer speed would end up at ~400Mbps. 400Mbps is only ~50MBps. Even my phone is faster than that.

That's with the best consumer router on the market. Even if you use far more generous numbers you still won't get near 100MBps. The thing about HDDs only writing at 100MBps is not really true either. My Samsung F3 gets 124MBps write and 131MBps read. My SSD can do 200MBps writes and tops out at ~500MBps reads (note: This is with sequential read and writes). ~24MBps more doesn't sound like a phone lot, but it's almost 200Mbps more. With all the previous mentioned things taken into consideration you would probably end up needing ~300Mbps more theoretical max throughput to get those extra 24MBps.