SLI Performance Scaling

Woah 4 way sli actually scales at 4k... is new. :)

Thanks Nick for the vid :D 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Whoever is in charge of creating the Thumbnail for Linus's recent videos , you deserve a raise  (or atleast the last piece of cookie from the jar Linus hides under his desk)   :lol:

Details separate people.

I cock blocked the "first people" again

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

As a LOT of cheaper motherboards for common consumers have x16 / x4 Linus should do a AMD performance scaling guide.

Crossfire

16x / 4x - Cheaper Boards = Limited Performance?

VS

16x / 8x - More dollars = More Performance?

Triple/Quad Fire

16x / 8x / 8x / 8x - The best bet?

VS

16x / 8x / 8x / 4x - No ill effects perceived compared to above^.?

As long as there are common 16x / 4x boards I think people should know more about the 4x slot and 'perceived loss' if any.

Remember, most of us THINK WE KNOW that it's not saturated, but when dealing with certain configs, it may be the best to make sure before you say so.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

WHY does all your videos look too bright

its annoying and kills all the color and contrast

its like im watching a vid and took the control and turned up the brightness

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

WHY does all your videos look too bright

its annoying and kills all the color and contrast

its like im watching a vid and took the control and turned up the brightness

Yeah. And talk about the quality. This is what I see.

bRwhEPc.jpg?1

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | MOBO: ASUS P877-M | GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 670 FTW | HDD: 1.3TB Seagate Barracuda | Audio: ASUS Xonar DX | Headphones: Sennheiser HD558 | Mic: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65

You put the CPU of the test bench as the Core i7 4930K... I think it's meant to be the i7 5930K?....

Yes, I would take two graphics cards and a nice watercooling loop over three graphics cards any day.

LZ0MeED.png

> MFW i7-4930k + X99

comic sans because why not

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Am i the only one who is astonished by the power consumption? I would've liked full throttle torture test power consumptions but i guess gameplay power consumption will do. 970 SLI off my 550W PSU, here we come! :D

who cares...

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see standard deviation instead of minimum frame rates in these videos?

Using a minimum frame rate highlights a single result independant from the rest of the samples.

Standard deviation shows how much these samples deviate from the mean and will give you a better real world example of how much your frame rate will actually vary while gaming.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

I for one would rather hear about whether 2 lower end cards are as good as or worse than one high end card.

Example: 1x GTA 980 ($800 AUD avg) vs 2x GTA 770 ($400 AUD avg).

In terms of power consumption and temps then obviously just one card, but what about from a purely performance pov?

Edit: my prices are from here:http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=4&id2=247

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 670, 16gb 1600mhz, SSDs only, Corsair K70, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10.

Xbone

You said you were using an ax1500i but in the video there's an antec 1000w psu

EDIT: I realize now that it was put there because you were going to talk about the low power consumption of the cards

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

I for one would rather hear about whether 2 lower end cards are as good as or worse than one high end card.

In terms of power consumption and temps then obviously just one card, but what about from a purely performance pov?

Edit: my prices are from here:http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=4&id2=247

In a fully optimised game, two lower end cards will generally outperform a similarly priced higher end card:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_sli_review,16.html

But in games where SLI isn't optimised, you get sweet fa from the second card and the performance tanks.

O/T: PCCG > Umart

Go with the single high end card. You might get slightly less performance in SOME games than with the dual 770s, but some games don't have SLI support, or horrible scaling and i'd take the slightly lower average framerate over the headache of tweaking config files just to make it playable.

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

Can I run GTX 980 SLI in my computer??

2600K CPU

8GB 2.4GHz RAM

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo

850W XFX PSU 

surely the minimum fps being so low is due to something else slowing the cards down with 3 and 4 way sli, because the minimums were about the same. i bet if they had the cpu at 5ghz those minimum frame rates would go up.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Thanks! You should try Crossfire too.

He only does Nvidia Cards now.(just kidding)......but kinda seems that way

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

Linus, out of curiosity, is the test bench using a 4930k or did you mean 5930k? You mentioned a X99 motherboard.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout

Can I run GTX 980 SLI in my computer??

2600K CPU

8GB 2.4GHz RAM

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo

850W XFX PSU 

You would more than likely need a decent OC to keep the bottleneck minimal but it'll probably still bottleneck slightly. Now, will the bottleneck be noticeable in real world gaming? I'm not sure but you could always buy the cards and upgrade your cpu/mb at a later date.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout