Corsair 900D Unforgiven - The Metallica Build

Name your desk James Hetfield. If you have a trashcan next to your desk, name it Lars "The Thrashcan" Ulrich. #2003neverforget

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

Thank you -  Just need to kill a few more people to get the money to finish this.  I already sold most of my old toys to get this far.  Even with all the help of my great sponsors you can still get a huge chunk of change into these builds.  Not complaining,  I just feel a little pressure to get this completed before you guys move into an old folks homes. :)  I've gained a lot of respect for the true pro modders, that can do some amazing builds in short amount of time.  That comes from experience and skills developed over years of building.  I'm out here paying my dues and all of your Encouragement really helps carry me along. 

After I shortened the Radiator shield as much as I could, I decided that I'm happy with it.  The benefits of the 2 zone lighting are worth it and it is almost exactly as low as some of the monster Rads that people are putting in this case.  Sometimes when you try stuff your not really sure if you did a good thing or messed it up.  I usually leave something in place for a little while and I'll either decided I like it or not?     

Oh my goodness.............

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Name your desk James Hetfield. If you have a trashcan next to your desk, name it Lars "The Thrashcan" Ulrich. #2003neverforget

James will finally be a table.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone They finally started the voting for the       Asus Rush for Gold         Mod contest. I could really use your vote! they are giving away free mother boards to random voters.   Thanks.  I'll Have an update very soon.  sorry the direct link will not work?

Hey everyone They finally started the voting for the       Asus Rush for Gold         Mod contest. I could really use your vote! they are giving away free mother boards to random voters.   Thanks.  I'll Have an update very soon.  sorry the direct link will not work?

You got my vote.

You got my vote.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Thanks everyone the Metallica build is hanging in there at a solid third place against some very good Asus sponsored pro builders. Not bad for a regular guy.  I really appreciate all your help!  you can actually vote once a day to up your's and my chance of winning.  Pretty exciting deal!  In the lesson learned department, I should have held off a little longer and I would have had some better pictures?  But who knew?  Thanks All

Is there a direct link to vote?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Hey everyone! I got it up and running on one card for now and I think I can buy the other this weekend. I'll post this video first and follow with an update.

I had to put some background music, because I don't have the fans fully under control as far as the noise level yet. It is running very cool Max 37 C

through several benchmarks so even with the second card there should be a lot of head room to quite this thing down for normal operation.

Really nice :o looks even better in video to me for some reason.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Thanks to your help the build is doing well In the Asus contest. Still holding In there at third in a pack of Asus Logo-ed builds. I hurt myself by entering so soon. It pushes me onto the second page and makes it harder to find. Unfortunately because coolmaster is a partner in the contest, I couldn't tap into my people at https://www.facebook.com/CorsairBrasil I could have got a ton of votes from them. Check down page they mentioned The Metallica Build along with Bill Owen as case Mods of the year for 2013. They are overly kind to me, but to get mentioned in the same breath as one of your hero's is pretty cool.

mj06.png

Here is where we are on the contest on the 20th. thanks for your daily votes, 5 more days. If I can stay In third place I will be very happy man!!

l0qz.png

I'll follow up with an update now.

It really felt amazing to finally push the on button. I have been working on this so long it had become an inanimate object.
Someone mentioned what do you really have left to do?  Well I guess I need about a day to wire it up.  
That day turned into 4 days but I really took a lot of time to conceal the wiring. I will need to figure something out when I get the second GPU.
I really minimized as much wiring as possible to keep it neat, but when you have this many fans it can be challenging.
I could put more fans in, but it's running so cool now I don't see a need. Once I overclock It I might be thinking differently?

6g5p.jpg

I put one power splitter up front to make those fans that are attached to the front bezel easy to disconnect. Because I attached the fans to the
Bezel instead of the factory mounting locations, It gives me total access to the front of the case for maintenance.

atz0.jpg

4cap.jpg

I re positioned the rings on the piping. I think it looks cool how the reservoir magnifies the brass rings on the pipe.  The water doesn't look green in person.
Alpenwasser is trying to help me with photo color correction, but even he can't preform miracles! where are my crayons?

qa5a.jpg     

v838.jpg

It's funny I realized I didn't have a spare keyboard that PS2 And because All money goes to the GPU next, I went out and bought the best $15.00 keyboard and repossessed a $14.00 wireless mouse from my laptop at work.  I didn't want to buy some half assed  stuff so I'll get back to that later,  Pretty hilarious to me.

8do1.jpg

3cu7.jpg

Before I wired the system I ran the pump for several days and then had it up and fully running for a week and didn't have so much

as a drip of fluid.  Last friday evening I turned it on and notices bubbles in the Res. It had been running bubble free hmm ?  what

does it mean when water starts coming out from under the case? Oh God - Initiating emergency shutdown procedures.  Fortunatly I

Have set this up for easy draining.  After poking around a bit, this is what I found.

dlkk.jpg

I'm not tottaly sure how I caused this?  All the fittings are hand tightened, but I have a good grip. there was no crack inside of the fitting.

I think there may have been a slight pressure between the front and the back fitting.  Fortunately I had some extra tube left.  I simplified 

the bend and made sure there was zero pressure on the fit.  I was actually amazing that I lost very little fluid.  I think It was sucking in 

more air than leaking out fluid.  No damage at all, Just a temporary Panic. Dx

One more thing. If you Vote there is a woman named Astral in the contest that has a non traditional System, that is purpose built to make and record electronic 

music.  She is trying to just make the top 10, the sound card in her rig is $2500.00 she wants to show that a PC based system can do this type of production work

in the artistic world that is dominated by Apple. Damit I said that word, now I have to wash my mouth out lol .  She actually has some good music and how many women

do you know that can build a computer?

Lets give the lady some votes. Here is a link to some of her music.  It's electronic, which is not for everyone but it is very good.   https://www.musicpage.com/astral

Here is Astrals computers this is the one you are looking for.

o3no.jpg

Looks really sweet

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I just noticed that I have the same solar system thing as you  :lol:

That's not his picture xD.

I just went through 18 pages, and I gotta say that this is the most badass thing I've seen in my life. Keep it up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Thanks guys. Emperor I'm disappointed too! I wish I had a $2500.00 sound card!  It would work better if I had $ 2500.00 ears?  Please don't beat me Emperor! ha ha  

• 2 weeks later...

Unforgiven Completed -  I finally got the second GPU and put the final touches on this long standing build. 

I'll probably add a few more pictures in a couple of weeks, talked someone into using their Better camera. 

This thing is really cooling well with all the EK water cooling.  I ran thru multiple benchmarks and the highest

I saw was 37C at stock clocks.  I'll worry about Over Clocking later when I get more time.

s6qv.jpg

jatf.jpg

1cjg.jpg

rinm.jpg

etmt.jpg

ht00.jpg

sz7k.jpg

28j5.jpg

km0y.jpg

6egn.jpg

lpc9.jpg

ju7b.jpg

q6pw.jpg

9z5o.jpg

zxxu.jpg

I've always loved this picture. Sams ( Do Until Loopy ) rendering on the monitor was done months before I got the case to this point.
To be able to come that close to his incredible design made me feel great!

73u1.jpg

And this is where it all began.

99629910finalheavymetal.png

89934keyshot20productsh.jpg

I have a lot of people to thank for helping with this project. Sam who did the design and all the incredible renderings,
Bill Owen with MnpcTech, Ronaldo Buassali channel manager for Corsair Brasil, Corsair George for sponsoring us
and getting this thing rolling, Eddie and Peter with EKWB water blocks and Michael wood with Mayhems.
 Also all of you here that supported and encouraged me on this project.  Without all of you I could never have done this build.

Thank you Michael Kaiser - Onevoicewild