Corsair 900D Unforgiven - The Metallica Build

absolutely amazing....  :o

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

Oh are you fucking kidding me?! Seriously, come on! youre-nuts.gif

Awesome, really, really awesome! cheerleader-happy.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That mod.... oh god that is so glorious! 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks guys! I can't wait to fire this up, I should get a little light up thru the tubes 

that's why I polished the inside to accentuate any light coming thru them.

won't know what it will actually look like until then. I was originally doing these with solid rod,

but they were to difficult to adjust the lengths and angles on so I switched to the hollow brass tubing.

I really appreciate all your encouragement!

eqjn.jpg

Sweet RAM mod.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Now he just needs to paint it red  :P

Red, in this build? You, sir, must have been smoking too much on your

(red) Ferrari's exhaust fumes. :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That RAM is insane looking! Keep it up, can't wait.

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

Red, in this build? You, sir, must have been smoking too much on your

(red) Ferrari's exhaust fumes. :lol:

Well if you have a red pc or red leds in it that means it goes faster right?  :D

Well if you have a red pc or red leds in it that means it goes faster right?  :D

Ssshhhh, don't tell anyone, we must keep that a secret!

:o wow... just wow...

Putting exhaust pipes on it makes the Dominator's faster xD

I guess I'm not the only one picturing smoke coming out of those pipes :lol:.

Smoke out of the pipes - cool, but you can only do it once! thanks a lot for the thumbs up guys.

I was a little afraid I got to carried away. It was a lot more work than I expected, but it keeps me out of trouble and the total cost was about $15.00 for everything. I actually bought two of the tubes because I wasn't sure one would be enough. I had about two inches left of the first tube, so someday the other one may make an appearance on some other build. But not Ram. Sometimes you do something and your glad you did it, but if someone ask you to do it again - HELL NO ha ha

I jealous because you live in Canada! ha ha I miss the mountains. All the great encouragement I get for the people here, drives me on to do the best I can. It really does mean a lot.

Let me use this chance to thank my great sponsors. Corsair, EKWB, MNPCTECH and Mayhems. These companies step up again and again for our community!

89934keyshot20productsh.jpg

Why do I have a feeling that I have seen this before? 

Because we have.Rinse and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning - system for achieving objective: a method of doing something that is worked out in advance.

Being an Amature Modder can be interesting / frustrating / expensive / Ect. Ok planning is not one of my strong suits! I finally went to mount my lower 480 Radiator and because of all the Modding To get the overkill Grill in place, there were multiple stacked layers. I shortened and cleaned up the threads on the screws and they wouldn't bite. I thought they were to short, but it turns out I should have used some thread Dyes on them. Also all the pretty piping seemed to be in the way of the Rad. I found out that if I used elbows on the underside of the pass thru's that it would fit, just barely. That was close! I didn't want to have to redo a bunch of stuff. Damn now I need more fittings. I'm beginning to understand why the Big Boys bitch about the cost of fittings!

Sorry but this seems to be the theme lately. Find something else to do while I wait for parts.
I finished the drain line straight out the back of the case with a pass thru.

slt2.jpg

qaw7.jpg

The lighting  may be the only thing subtle in this whole build?  I wanted to mount the lighting somewhere that it could angle toward the back of the case.  The upper radiator  blocks the angle of anything mounted in the front behind the side panel.  So I decided to kill two birds with one stone.  I made a shroud to cover up the upper fans and allow me to angle some of the lights at a 45 degree angle to the back of the case. As usual I stumbled into something good? and unexpected.  I was polishing the back of the diamond plate to reflect more light and cool pattern started to appear.  Can you say Deja Vu?  The material has some color from the anodizing on the front that looks fairly good. 

7aep.jpg

I bent a strip to mount the lighting to at the angle I want.  The front color is actually slightly gold, the picture's doesn't really show the true color. 
Hey I'm just going for none blurry at this point. 

q364.jpg

p0v4.jpg

91ng.jpg

uq1o.jpg

The cover comes down a little lower in the case than I would like, but It wouldn't hide the lighting if It didn't. So there it is,
hopefully the better lighting angle will make up for it?

nf07.jpg

hty1.jpg

Ok this will never be one of those cases that people say that is so clean! It's as busy as hell on the inside of the case. 
I have had way to much time on my hands and not enough of the parts that I really needed to finish. 
It is coming along and I'll use Metallica as an excuse!  Heavy Metal is not known for being mild mannered! 
That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

Wow, just yesterday I had an idea about having lights reflecting off a shiny strip hidden behind a side panel to give off very even lighting where needed :D. Not exactly what I was thinking but it seems like you read my mind :o. I do agree the cover is a bit too large, it would have looked better if it ended at the same height as the fans but that wouldn't work :(. It kinda stands out a bit, so maybe having some slotted mesh like the drive bays might make it blend in better.

I'll have to think about it. I have see other builds with shields around the radiators and they always look very thick, even when they are a little shorter. sometimes I have to leave things in the case for a while to see if I really like them or not. there really is no other good place to put the lights I want, unless I put them on the inside of the window panel. I really don't want wires running to the side panel. I have a 200mm fan in my 800D window and it's not to much of a pain, but there is no way to clean it up perfectly unless I could find a pressure contact electrical connection.

Here Is something New! I think they call that a moving part? I wouldn't know, this case has never done this before.

I unplugged it immediately and called an exorcist!

h5gp.jpg

I had a pretty productive weekend.  just for fun, I redid the final pipes to the GPU's in ridged Copper. 

I put O rings on the outside in a pattern. I think it looks alright.  The pipe was just small enough to fit in my drill,

so I was able to polish it like crazy.

0yy5.jpg

I also decided to put the SSD in front of the mother board.  This serves multiple purposes, 

It helps hid a lot of the manky wires that go to the front panel,  It's helps with my Corsair advertising

and I just think it looks cool.  It's cooper! get used to it.  

1oks.jpg

Notice some strange colors in that last picture?  I put most / All of the lighting in the case.  I really wanted to improve on the previous lighting jobs that I had done.  I don't want any direct line of sight on any of the LEDs. I was able to do that unless you are below the case and look up.  There are still some light reflections, because of all the shiny stuff.  I used 2 separate Hue controllers so I could have more options. From the start me and Sam had decided to be more minimalistic on the lighting.  I'm still paying for the sin's of my last build. 

As a matter of fact I stole one of the Hue Controllers from Bender and it has so many lights that It didn't make much difference.

I set this up in lighting zones. I trimmed as much height off of the radiator / lighting shield as possible.  It has a 45 degree place to mount 2 passes of LED's aiming at the components.  Then I ran it around the Rad with an angle in the back for 2 passes. I really like how this worked out.  with the depth of the Rad in a push/ pull, any lighting mounted in the top front of the case would be partially blocked. 

the first picture is the back zone only.

1b6y.jpg

I'll fix the light leak on the right side of the Rad.  I'll have to play with this quite a bit until I'm happy, so don't pay much attention to the colors at this point. 

Just goofing around to see what it would do.  Also the brightness is up high in these pictures.  It will most likely be much lower in the final product.

h5gm.jpg

akpw.jpg

I really like the front to back light separation that I am getting from this setup.  Now I'll turn on the front lighting for full volume.

eg54.jpg

dwu2.jpg

w2ht.jpg

I may need some more LED's to light the company Logo's, but I'll hold off on that for a while.  When my wife looked at it,

she almost made me sleep on the couch because the fans didn't lite up. Damn you can't please every one, can you? 

Trying to explain to her that this case wasn't really designed to be a lighting show case did no good. 

She came up with 4 ideas that caused 12 more problems and Finally gave up.  Dx

wwho.jpg

Ya you know what that's for.  I went around and made a final check to see if all the fittings were tight.  when I got done, I looked over and there was one lonely O ring laying on the work bench? #%*&%##  hmmm I wonder which on of those fitting that goes to? After Checking a couple of the last few fittings I had put together, I pulled off one of the O rings and looked at it compared to the extra One.  They were not the same exact size - Ohh thank God! it's an extra one from the GPU piping. That had me worried, these Ghost fittings don't like to come apart where they are supposed to so, taking them back apart can be a pain.

qx08.jpg

I'm just running distilled water for leak testing. I don't want to waste any of my fancy English water to do testing.

I'll save you the obligatory pictures of the paper towels while leak testing.  Zero leaks which is all part of the plan.

I'll get a little Photo flo this week to clear the bubbles and put in the Mayhems ulta pure H20.  I'm not quite ready

to fire up the whole rig yet, but as you can see I am getting closer.

pfz4.jpg

1a0t.jpg

Absolutely stunning mate! Hope you are looking forward to your build of the week badge! :D

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

WOW. Epic update.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715