Australian Government now has unlimited ability to monitor, access and control any computer as well as jail whisteblowers and more.

Okay, I'm going to try and not quote the entire article here, even though I really want to. First news post.
This piece of legislation is a response to the recent terrorist activity that's been happening in Australia.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/terror-laws-clear-senate-enabling-entire-australian-web-to-be-monitored-and-whistleblowers-to-be-jailed-20140926-10m8ih.html

First of all, the unlimited access to any and every device upon a network:

The new bill also allows ASIO to seek just one warrant to access a limitless number of computers on a computer network when attempting to monitor a target, which lawyers, rights groups, academics and Australian media organisations have condemned.

They said this would effectively allow the entire internet to be monitored, as it is a "network of networks" and the bill does not specifically define what a computer network is.
ASIO will also be able to copy, delete, or modify the data held on any of the computers it has a warrant to monitor.

The bill also allows ASIO to disrupt target computers, and use innocent third-party computers not targeted in order to access a target computer.

So the government now has access to absolutely everything they want to, as well as being able to control it, even if it's not the device that they're targeting.

Next up; what happens if you're a whistleblower, journalist or even a normal person who leaks information.

Anyone - including journalists, whistleblowers and bloggers - who "recklessly" discloses "information ... [that] relates to a special intelligence operation" faces up to 10 years' jail.

Those who identify ASIO agents could also face a decade in prison under the new bill, a tenfold increase on the existing maximum penalty.

The government want's to keep it's secrets, and it'll jail the shit out of anyone who thinks about doing otherwise.

Now, something to ice the cake on just how extreme this is:

After concerns were raised by Labor and Senator Leyonhjelm, the government agreed to amend the legislation to specifically rule out ASIO using torture.

"ASIO cannot, does not and has never engaged in torture," Senator Brandis said.

Yup, it would have allowed them to torture people, keeping in mind that could be any average person who leaks information.

Now, this is batshit fucking crazy you say. Well, you're right, and there are some good politicians who tried to do something about it.

The Australian Greens, through Senator Scott Ludlam, put forward an amendment that would limit the number of computers ASIO could access with one warrant to 20 but it failed to gain support from Labor or the government.

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon and Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm also put forward amendments that would protect whistleblowers but these did not gain enough support either.

Senator Leyonhjelm and Senator Xenophon also opposed the legislation, as did independent Senator John Madigan.

One of the amendments put forward by Senator Xenophon would have required ASIO's watchdog, the  Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, to report publicly each year on how many devices ASIO accessed.

But Labor and the government voted against it, with Senator Brandis saying it "would not be appropriate" to report figures as it would reveal information about ASIO's capabilities.

Senator Brandis being the asshat behind all of this.

Oh, and you know that thing about the government forcing ISP's to store data?

And, unlike the government's controversial plans to get internet providers to store metadata for up to two years, the bill passed on Thursday allows for the content of communications to be stored.

So they ended up sneaking it in to a different piece of legislation, like they always fucking do.

Now, finally, what some of the others had to say about this.

Professor George Williams of the University of NSW has warned previously the bill was too broad.

Most groups that had complained about the new bill also said they feared its disclosure offences went too far, with the Australian Lawyers Alliance saying they would have "not just a chilling effect but a freezing effect" on national security reporting.

The Australian Greens voted against the bill, slamming the new measures as extreme and a "relentless expansion of powers" of the surveillance state.

Senator Leyonhjelm and Senator Xenophon also opposed the legislation, as did independent Senator John Madigan.

And finally, the comment I think best sums up the situation:

Speaking after the bill passed, Senator Ludlam told Fairfax Media he was disappointed. 

"What we've seen [tonight] is, I think, a scary, disproportionate and unnecessary expansion of coercive surveillance powers that will not make anybody any safer but that affect freedoms that have been quite hard fought for and hard won over a period of decades," Senator Ludlam said.

"I have very grave concerns about the direction that the Australian government seems to be suddenly taking the country."

Sorry for all those quotes, I just felt that it was necessary to make sure I included everything I needed to. 
I personally think that the current direction is going to make Aus go to complete shit, but all in the name of protecting the people. I used to get angry, then for a while I stopped caring, but now I'm just incredibly frustrated. You know that feeling you get when you just want to punch the living daylights out of someone, but you really can't? Yeah, just like that.

I think that the terrorist actions have been completely wrong, and that the reasons behind those actions are also wrong, but I can see how these sort of actions by the govt are going to edge people closer to taking doing crazy things against the country, and it's government.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Well, I am moving to Mars...

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

@Geekazoid will not like this

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Tell me more about how people don't need guns and how the governments won't take over everything and put people in jail for "thought crime"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

After listening to the Moment of Truth, seems like the NSA has spread to Australia too. When will something like this to occur in my country? Maybe its always been like that though....

After listening to the Moment of Truth, seems like the NSA has spread to Australia too. When will something like this to occur in my country? Maybe its always been like that though....

Chances are, due to proximity, your government will just come to the US government to get it's surveillance.

After all, why watch your own yard when you can have your paranoid, dictator-esque neighbor do it for you?

Time to move to canada!

Hopefully their government doesn't become jackasses and start stalking peoples internet usage.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well, I am moving to Mars...

Book me a ticket while you're at it.

Tell me more about how people don't need guns and how the governments won't take over everything and put people in jail for "thought crime"

I agree with at least half of that.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

so Australia biggest problem isn't the wildlife trying to kill people? ok jokes aside that some fucking medieval shit right there, i mean they can condemn someone by pretty much anything that has to do whit a computer, that just disgusting, also i wanna know how many legitimate criminals can catch now whit this, probably no more that they could before

i find that aus gov just copy pasted their book to do it themselves instead

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Book me a ticket while you're at it.

I agree with at least half of that.

Meh, my government at least knows it's place to some extent, and knows that if they push the 60 million or so gun owners in this country too far, that the military and police will just quit and side with us and they (the politicians) will suddenly all be out of jobs.

Look at it this way, one state passed a law requiring everyone who owned an "assault" rifle (theres no such thing, it's a battle rifle or combat rifle) to register their gun and be fingerprinted. Everyone refused to comply, the state government realized "fuck, we can't arrest and prosecute a few hundred thousand people".

Yay freedom!... Oh wait...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

dats fucked up man 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

joliver_off-the-grid.jpg

Seeya there Mates!

/Yeah.. not happy either with the way the world gets run.

So...their going to collect ALL..

Wouldn't you, if you were a International hacking/spy group, then target THIS new data... Seeing as the newspapers and tv just told us about its future existence.

Idiots. Nothing is unshakable and safe, especially if online methods to hack fail, and then there's inter-business espionage data theft from within.

Talk about creating a target, future liability & general WRONG feeling every Aussie/normal person wherever is feeling when they hear the news of this.

Whoever is in support of it, does NOT know enough tech knowledge to care about losing privacy. (Besides their phones)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Time to move to canada!

Hopefully their government doesn't become jackasses and start stalking peoples internet usage.

The governments pretty good right now IMO

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

So... Any Aussies moving out of their country? We got some space here (but our economy is complete sh*t)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

What you planning on fighting a war against the fucking army? Pwhahaha...

This is exactly why the world laughs at you America.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

They were fucking you with taxes and prices already... and now this comes up. I really feel sorry for you guys...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

What you planning on fighting a war against the fucking army? Pwhahaha...

This is exactly why the world laughs at you America.

Lets see, 60 million gun owners versus 1.3 million in the various armed services, most of whom are not combat trained or ready, and not willing to kill their own family members, so no, we wouldn't even have to fight because the army would already be on our side, as would the police.

Can you say "unwinnable insurgency"?

Not to mention the first thing we did together as a nation was kick the shit out of the most professional army of the current world super power, you know, the American Revolution?

Farmers with pitchforks can do a fuck load more than you expect. Maybe you people should wake up and stop being slaves to your own governments

I don't really see how owning guns would help against this. I mean, try attacking air drones with your hand gun... Or a tank. It won't work.

But yeah this is absolutely horrible.

I don't really see how owning guns would help against this. I mean, try attacking air drones with your hand gun... Or a tank. It won't work.

But yeah this is absolutely horrible.

Tank is easy, reloading powder plus basic plumbing supplies (tank doesn't do much good when it's treads are blown off) Not to mention, as I said earlier, most of the military would not be on the governments side if push came to shove (which I will say I hope it doesn't). They're already starting to get pissed off about the shit our government is doing. Also drones thermal vision can't see through dense vegetation.

Oh the joys of knowing people in the military lol.