Apple responds to bent iPhone 6 complaints, all nine of them

Dietrichw

Yes, it's been blown out of proportion, that's for sure! But that's something that should never happen to a 1000$+ phone in the first place. Also iOS 8 seems to be causing tons of issues to some users, the latest update even rendered some phones useless (no network)! That's a bigger concern to me than any of bending. Also for such a big and thin phone and the amount of tight jeans people wear it was bound to happen. :)

all this over 9 phones.....reallly

tumblr_nbwmu8Tsw91r7k4w8o1_400.gif

sorry but this is fucking hilarious!!!!

the power of the net!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Something seems off. While 9 were reported we saw how easily it can bend. That weakness is part of the design and exists in all of them. Which could mean later on there will be more cases of it happening.

I do think the whole issue was blown out of proportion though.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Apple needs to address the long term concern of bending over time, either by outright saying 'It's due to aluminium, nothing we can do', or that they will remedy the situation. Either would be appropriate at this point in time, just to stop the constant arguing.

"With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare," an Apple spokeswoman said.

They're on record now, and that's about all that can be done without the use of a time machine or calling them liars.

"With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare," an Apple spokeswoman said.

They're on record now, and that's about all that can be done without the use of a time machine or calling them liars.

Indeed. We will have to wait and see if more cases emerge.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

better get the applecare!!

oh wait...that doesnt cover accedental damage.

seriousy though,  i think there are a lot more than just 9 cases in which this happened(excluding the reddit hype and people doing it on purpose).  it could have just been a bad batch, but even so, with the number of phones sold so far, we can expect a least a few thousand with potential to break, and we will hear about more happening over the next month or two.

with every case in which ive seen it (whether is was bent on purpose or accedent), the bend is in the same spot. where side buttons are. this to me sounds like a manufacturer error, or an oversight as there may simply not be enough raw material at that spot.  i havent seen the insides of the phone yet, so i dunno if they could have been a layout issue as well.

im just glad im not working for applecare anymore.. wouldnt wanna be on the recieving end of that phonecall

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

So Apple can't do this: http://www.androidauthority.com/oppo-n3-aluminum-lithium-alloy-530318/

Al-Li alloy will keep the Oppo N3 light, but strong

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

better get the applecare!!

oh wait...that doesnt cover accedental damage.

seriousy though,  i think there are a lot more than just 9 cases in which this happened(excluding the reddit hype and people doing it on purpose).  it could have just been a bad batch, but even so, with the number of phones sold so far, we can expect a least a few thousand with potential to break, and we will hear about more happening over the next month or two.

with every case in which ive seen it (whether is was bent on purpose or accedent), the bend is in the same spot. where side buttons are. this to me sounds like a manufacturer error, or an oversight as there may simply not be enough raw material at that spot.  i havent seen the insides of the phone yet, so i dunno if they could have been a layout issue as well.

im just glad im not working for applecare anymore.. wouldnt wanna be on the recieving end of that phonecall

With only 9 devices reported to have the issue (probably excluding damage caused on purpose, nobody would be stupid enough to call about that) I doubt you would be the one to get one of those phonecalls. There may or may not be a problem with more than 9 devices, however until anything else has been reported there are only 9 faulty devices. Assuming stuff (as well as misinformed and cynical fanboys / haters)  is what blows stuff like this completely out of proportion.

Doesn't help when you have a forum of amazingly biased people either.

Oh wait, this forum? No way. This place would never jump the gun on shitting on Apple for any reason. 

I suspected that Apple created the bubonic plague, the way people treat them around here without much evidence or facts. 

Surrrrrrprise!

Of course things get blown out of proportion. It's the internet.

I wonder how many people will claim the phone bent because they went ahead and bent it to take a meme picture or make a Youtube video :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised Unbox Therapy jumped on it.

Look at the views for that video. Over 22 million. The rest of his videos? Lucky if he breaks 500,000 views...and they've been up a lot longer.

Financial motivation is a strong thing and being first off the blocks doesn't hurt the wallet either. 

Its why I wanted to wait. I'm a 6+ owner. Do I have bent phones? Nope. If I did, I'd be amused and sad. Then I'd go to the Apple store and get a replacement IF I could even tell the bend. But I didn't, and hopefully I don't need to. 

Facts, facts, and more facts. Not YouTube and forum hype from loaded sources. 

Of course, Apple has a strong interest in deflecting blame and letting this die down, but at the same time come on. We treat these things like goddamn conspiracy theories or something. 

Does this change anything? Nope. We shall resume "insert company here" bashing over "insert false reason here" in short time. This is what this forum has become. The influx of kids due to the popularity has also brought in the lack of critical thinking that tends to be required when you discuss such issues. 

But hey, I'm just one of the few who were happy to wait for valid testing and evidence and still got called a "iSheep, iFan, iDiot, sheeple" or whatever the new terms these days are. 

Proof that it's a defect in them all, and that more and more are going to surface.

Take someone stronger than the person in the video, or hell just someone else and a % of those will be able to break or bend any other phone.

I still doubt they really bend when in a pocket. As it stands with the proof available,  9/10000000+ doesn't mean they're all defective, or it will happen to more.

Holy shit pal, If it happened to 9 in less than a week, it's bound to happen to a lot more with more wear on the phone. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Maybe if the people bought a phone and not a refrigerator they would't have problems with them bending

That article misspelled strength. I don't trust it. (unless you didn't copy/paste it)

ooops.... fixed my typo. Thanks for pointing it out

Would it have been that big of a deal for them to have just made the damned thing out of a decent grade steel instead of shitty ass aluminium? (sorry people, for tensile strength steel is still better, aluminium can just handle higher heat, that's why it's used in airplanes, no just weight)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090714104522AAxbaLq

Correction, aluminum is half as strong as steel (generally) but 1/3rd the weight. I don't really care about an extra few ounces on the weight of a phone if it means my phone is durable enough to survive pants. Steel is stronger.

Another possible solution, is for men to stop wearing women's sized pants, makes you look like an idiot anyways

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

yeah the whole bend phone thing is bound to happen. You sell over a million phones, I'm sure there will be a few defective products somewhere, it always happens because nothing is perfect.

Not a Apple fan boy one bit but I sure do love the build quality of the products

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Would it have been that big of a deal for them to have just made the damned thing out of a decent grade steel instead of shitty ass aluminium? (sorry people, for tensile strength steel is still better, aluminium can just handle higher heat, that's why it's used in airplanes, no just weight)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090714104522AAxbaLq

Correction, aluminum is half as strong as steel (generally) but 1/3rd the weight. I don't really care about an extra few ounces on the weight of a phone if it means my phone is durable enough to survive pants. Steel is stronger.

Another possible solution, is for men to stop wearing women's sized pants, makes you look like an idiot anyways

I think a stainless steel phone would be the best thing to ever happen to the mobile industry. A phone does not have to weigh as much as a post-it note to be good. I feel that a heavier phone just makes it feel like it is built better anyway.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I think a stainless steel phone would be the best thing to ever happen to the mobile industry. A phone does not have to weigh as much as a post-it note to be good. I feel that a heavier phone just makes it feel like it is built better anyway.

Same here. and Knurling it would just make it sexier and more rigid.

I really wish technology and society would get over aluminium, it's not as great a metal as it once seemed to be, it's been beaten by steel in everything but heat dissipation (at least to my knowledge)

I really wish technology and society would get over aluminium, it's not as great a metal as it once seemed to be, it's been beaten by steel in everything but heat dissipation (at least to my knowledge)

I agree... We need sturdier phones... I'm still looking for a midrange phone that looks and feels like it can go through a beating...

Rather than focusing on thickness and weight, why don't they put that bit more focus on durability? (Maybe for planned obsolecence or having more phones break so they can keep selling?)

I agree... We need sturdier phones... I'm still looking for a midrange phone that looks and feels like it can go through a beating...

Rather than focusing on thickness and weight, why don't they put that bit more focus on durability? (Maybe for planned obsolecence or having more phones break so they can keep selling?)

That's exactly what it is.

To be honest, I'm just sick of hearing about "phone news" here on the forums. It seems to me to be the dominant "news" here in the news section, which I find to be disappointing, mainly because I don't really give a shit. When someone makes an EMP shielded, high durabity, long lifespan, solar chargeable (without an adapter or anything, built in), geiger counter containing phone, with a built in map system, medical capabilites, then I will be interested lol

Interesting remarks to steel, but what about oxidation, and the electrochemical effect. Steel can pick up moisture from the atmosphere and start a RedOx reactions.

Basically, a little moisture can make the body of a steel phone, a weak battery. As you can imagine, even a little bit of voltage offset can damage delicate electronics.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

That's exactly what it is.

To be honest, I'm just sick of hearing about "phone news" here on the forums. It seems to me to be the dominant "news" here in the news section, which I find to be disappointing, mainly because I don't really give a shit. When someone makes an EMP shielded, high durabity, long lifespan, solar chargeable (without an adapter or anything, built in), geiger counter containing phone, with a built in map system, medical capabilites, then I will be interested lol

I'm also getting tired of the phone news and 900 series stuff too...

Also, won't the EMP shielding make the phone useless since it will also block the radio signals? (It's something like a faraday cage iirc)...

I'd buy that phone in a heartbeat if it's made to withstand impacts from .50 BMG rounds...

watch his note 3 bending afterwards.

Are you telling me the Iphone he was bending happened to be one of those nine? Don't think so, Iphone's always been rubbish in my opinion.

Interesting remarks to steel, but what about oxidation, and the electrochemical effect. Steel can pick up moisture from the atmosphere and start a RedOx reactions.

Basically, a little moisture can make the body of a steel phone, a weak battery. As you can imagine, even a little bit of voltage offset can damage delicate electronics.

Stainless steel? It used for vehicle bodies (see: Philippine Jeepney) here and I can say that they can last for quite a while before rusting...

True, but does that occur with stainless steel? to my knowledge it does not. To me, something including aluminium is just worse for being aluminium instead of steel. I just hate that metal to be honest. It's a pain to work with (in welding anyways) and it's weaker.

-snip

watch his note 3 bending afterwards.

Are you telling me the Iphone he was bending happened to be one of those nine? Don't think so, Iphone's always been rubbish in my opinion.

Any phone that doesnt have explandable memory/storage (whatever you want to call it) is shit in my opinion. Especially when the OS takes up nearly half of the onboard storage like the Iphone does.

Stainless steel? It used for vehicle bodies (see: Philippine Jeepney) here and I can say that they can last for quite a while before rusting...

Dont forget this Icon

16d0ff915c5a9ba9d9284da579f3b3b0.jpg

Stainless doesn't have the same problem as regular steel, so it could work. But stainless steel is also more expensive to manufacture.

So, Stainless steel could work, just not regular steel.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.