The iPhone 6 plus bends, when carrying it in your front pocket! Permanent bend and OFFICAL iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test (Update from 25.09.2014)

LarsReviews

Same with my Oneplus. Builder should give up.

Well I got a wireless charging back on my S4 which makes it thicker (and presumably more durable) but pushed so hard on it my fingers turned white. I could see it bending a bit but as soon as I released the pressure it turned back to its normal shape.

I've looked for some more anecdotes from people and so far it seems like the iPhone 6+ is simply structurally weak (or in some cases, more malleable) compared to other phones.

It would be nice to see it in a machine that measures the force. I suspect that the iPhone 6+ would bend under quite a lot less pressure than a lot of other phones. Samsung, LG and HTC phones aren't as big and thin. Samsung and LG uses plastic so it will go back to its original shape after being bent. HTC has the curved back which probably makes it a lot stronger.

I wonder how many pounds of pressure per square inch is needed to bend the iPhone 6 Plus. I had mine since Friday and I've been carrying it in my pocket without a case since without any problems to its integerity. I've seen some videos but it clearly shows some great force needed to bend the phone. Obviously if you're 250 lbs and sitting on it, it's going to bend. I've been trying to find the scientific data on the web, I haven't found any yet. If anyone could link a page it would be an interesting read.

This.

People need to realize that structurally sound design or no, your thigh muscles are some of the strongest in your body. They can and will put hurt on anything in your pockets.

Is it right that the iPhone 6 is this "weak"? Probably not. But we have no valid data to see what the hard numbers are.

It's so easy to just lay blame and embrace rhetoric than it is to get a concrete explanation as to why it's happening and until some proper tests are done this is nothing more than back channel rumours that amount to nothing.

Do you know how many iPhone 6s were sold? 10 million so far. 1/2.5 million are pretty good odds to me.

General Motors would love to have that kind of failure rate right now, I'd imagine.

Look at the side of the device. The material that runs along the edge of the phone provides lateral stiffness. At the point where there is a hole in the shell for the volume rocker, there is less material, we go less strength. Videos and photos show the phone bending at this very spot.

If a car's chassis has a weak point that bends a little more every time the car goes over a speed bump, it's and engineering failure. Don't be willingly ignorant. Stop defending a flawed device so blindly, you're just pandering to the Apple fan boy stereotype.

I did notice they normally bent on 1 side, right where the volume rockers are.

Check the iFixIt teardown. They've re-enforced the hole cut outs like I mention below.

1. It's not clear that this is any more flawed than any other phone, as we have no scientific data on how it occurs nor on how often or among what other manufacturers it's common.

2. I'm not blindly defending it, I've said it's disappointing and have mentioned ways they could and SHOULD fix it.

I'm a bit sad you missed my original post Here I was really looking forward to your opinion.

Also I noticed after this you mentioned marks on the iFixIt tear down (something about aluminium manufacturing. I'm not an expert so I'm not even going to input here)

But I noticed in the iFixIt Tear down there are actually thicker protruding notches above and below the button cut outs. So it looks like they thought about and tested it somewhat to find this. I'm thinking there has been a couple of faulty phones, then people just being idiots and forcing them over bends lie with the 5/5s.

-snip-

Look at the Apple Watch for example.

At first I thought it looked terrible. Then when I was looking at other "smart watches" I realised it doesn't look terrible, It just looks really bad coming from Apple.

I expected a lot more. The greater the reputation a company has the harder it becomes to uphold that reputation. I think apple have got a couple of challenging years ahead of them.

I think they should go back to their no compromises attitude. The camera bulge C'mon Is this apple we're talking about?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just on another note anybody who has held the iPhone 6 or 6+ Do you think there is a need for them to keep getting thinner and lighter, Or would a slightly thicker model with no camera bulge and a bigger battery make more sense?

I just recently held a Nokia 930 which is quite chunky and has a lot of weight to it in today's standards. But Holy freaking cow did it feel amazing to hold. It made me change how I felt about a mobiles form factor.

@SubTract

I don't think phones need to be getting any thinner. I've said this since they started going under 10mm and sacrifice battery for a thinner device. Or, they say "hey, we can get the same battery life and make it thinner!" No thanks. I want the extra battery life. I think 8-9mm is the sweet spot. Just pack in wicked optics, bigger batteries, etc. At least give us some devices like this.

The camera bulge is a little unsightly. Looks like they did a good job of making it so it doesn't affect typing on a flat surface though.

As for the Apple watch, it's. Ok. I guess. Nothing super special, looks a lot like the Samsung Gear. With the fingerprint sensor on it.

Their OS idea doesn't look too intuitive either, with the little dial to go through all the apps. It should be quicker than that.

I think wearables will go the way of 3D in tv's. It's something they're hyping up, hoping it'll take off so that they have something they can make huge money in, and get measurable year to year upgrades.

TV's were first, now phones. Both have gotten to a point where there's not a whole lot to improve upon and it'll be little incremental upgrades.

The wow factor is gone.

Makes me sad, but at the same time makes my wallet happy.

-snip-

The Apple watch just didn't have enough WOW factor in the design for me to care, Like you said it just looks like something that is already out, with a knob on the side.

I judge them like @LinusTech and his Corsair cases. I expect more because of their standards for so long. The iWatch (Apple Watch) was a real dissapointment for me

I kind of hope that wearables get enough traction for me to get a round smart-watch with much better battery life. Once I have it I don't even mind if they sink back into a niche market.

Thinner? 

Hell no. We're at the point where until battery tech is really advanced and stuff like carbon fiber reinforced plastics are cheap, that going thinner is a diminishing return. 

My 6+ with the case actually feels a bit better. A bit thicker wouldn't be bad. But the market loves thin, flashy crap so what can you do. Soon enough everyone will have devices that are hitting 6-7mm if not smaller, such is tech. 

The camera bulge? It shows Apple compromised. Bad for them, also good for them. They didn't want to gimp thin bodies AND the didn't want to gimp sensor/optics. Is it ideal? Nope. That extra whatever...0.3mm or w/e of added thickness wouldn't have suddenly made me say "Nope, no iPhone for me, it isn't thin enough". But thats just me.

-snip-

I didn't think about it this way. Was the camera bulge there way of trying to not compromise on 2 of their components. I still disagree but this defiantly makes me look at it differently.

That quote is actually from someone else. I accidentally deleted the bubble surrounding his text while replying.

I concur though. I think 7mm is almost too thin. Just give me more battery at 8mm!

There's already phones hitting the 5.5mm barrier.

Honestly...I think they just do it because. I've never heard a single person say "I wish I could have an even thinner phone." Just more flash. You know, like the 3D in tv's.

Haha, yea. "Hey...guys...when I apply as much pressure as I can muster, my phone bends too! WTF Apple!"

I know they won't change their policies, but I really wish Apple takes a strong stance against idiots like that and deny their Apple Care claims.

It was mine but its cool, I do it all the time, I try to read all comments anyway so I got the responses (To be honest that it bought some attention to it)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Hahahaha 

Maybe if they werent obsessed with making the iPhone the thinnest phone in the world this wouldnt be an issue.....

the thinnest phone in the world is this>> http://www.gsmarena.com/gionee_elife_s5_5-6109.php  at 5.5mm

and no there arnt any reports of it bending (it may flex but thats ok) 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I thought I could finally post something on the forum that wasn't posted before. Of course, I was wrong..

R.I.P Apple 1976-2011

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The Apple watch just didn't have enough WOW factor in the design for me to care, Like you said it just looks like something that is already out, with a knob on the side.

I judge them like @LinusTech and his Corsair cases. I expect more because of their standards for so long. The iWatch (Apple Watch) was a real dissapointment for me

I kind of hope that wearables get enough traction for me to get a round smart-watch with much better battery life. Once I have it I don't even mind if they sink back into a niche market.

I think Tag Heuer is supposed to be making their own smart watch. I imagine being a luxury watch designer, they won't settle for less than perfection, especially since it'll be viewed (I imagine) by a lot of the other big names in watch making as sacrilege. Which I kind of agree with.

However, that won't be a cheap watch.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What I would like to know is if these are indeed bending from being in people's front pockets then how exactly is it happening? Is it just a case of overly tight pants or is one end of the phone pressing into the users hip and the other end pressing against the bottom of the pocket? To me the pressing into the hip bit seems the most likely, but I would also think that one would feel that and it would be painful. We need to know how exactly it is getting bent in front pockets so that we can replicate it and prove whether it's an issue or not.

Of course the other option is that people could just be lying just for some attention.

I did notice they normally bent on 1 side, right where the volume rockers are.

Check the iFixIt teardown. They've re-enforced the hole cut outs like I mention below.

Too bad it doesn't work, I guess.

What I would like to know is if these are indeed bending from being in people's front pockets then how exactly is it happening? Is it just a case of overly tight pants or is one end of the phone pressing into the users hip and the other end pressing against the bottom of the pocket? To me the pressing into the hip bit seems the most likely, but I would also think that one would feel that and it would be painful. We need to know how exactly it is getting bent in front pockets so that we can replicate it and prove whether it's an issue or not.

Of course the other option is that people could just be lying just for some attention.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. A lot of people buying these are used to 4" phones, and the 6 Plus is thinner, and taller which makes it easier to bend. 

For instance, if you took a 5S, and stretched it up to a 5.5" screen size, the larger one would be easier to bend than the 4" one. Perhaps Apple didn't add enough internal reenforcement which would exacerbate the fact of a taller device being able to be easier to bend than a smaller one of the same design let alone being thinner.

And people are probably sitting on them and doing other stuff they shouldn't. The good news is we have a handful of bent devices that have popped up which doesn't sound like this is a widespread issue. As I said earlier in this thread Apple has teams of people looking for early issues, and they will incorporate fixes into future production runs once a design revision is completed. Any company worth a damn does this. These are, for all practical purposes, first run devices, and sometimes it takes a public release to uncover issues that won't show up in internal testing. They can change the internal design of the aluminum structure in subtle ways, and it'll look exactly the same on the outside. Will they issue a recall? Probably not because this is a handful of phones that have popped up. 

Do you really use the Steam app? I find it quite useless. It has less features and is slower compared to the site.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

That's what you get apple for that protruding camera lens. Should've made the phone thicker.

Interested in Business and Technology

Do you really use the Steam app? I find it quite useless. It has less features and is slower compared to the site.

Seems to work fine for me, I use chat and use it to buy things when not near my pc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Update 24.09.2014: How to prevent the iPhone 6 from bending: http://linustechtips...-iphone-6-plus/

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Seems to work fine for me, I use chat and use it to buy things when not near my pc

Man, I need the app so bad but i can't stand to use it, it isn't coherent with any design language this side of jupiter and when switching screens the animation is reminiscent of switching apps on iOS, not the most appropriate animation. Is it the same story on iOS or is it different?

These screenshots make me puke:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community&hl=en

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

BTKF8Hb.jpg

That being said, I'll buy one for my mom, great thing too, I think she has a couple or repair kits at home

Might even borrow one for my gf's father, he uses them too

Edit: iphone 6 that is. What I'll buy. Not the repair tool.

We can add geek.com to another source for this issue.

http://www.geek.com/apple/iphone-6s-are-being-bent-in-peoples-pockets-including-mine-1605177/

I'm really concerned about Apple's build quality recently.  First the rumors of the 5/5s and then the shoddy looking construction of the iwatch, and now the bending of i6/6+'s.  I think we need more evidence of these bends, and how they occur, but these kinds of occurrences do really shake my already minimal faith in Apple products.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

wow I had a 5s for years

It hasn't been out that long ;) just a little more than a year...

I like how people are still defending the iPhone 6. That level of submission to getting scammed takes some serious dedication I bet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm really concerned about Apple's build quality recently.  First the rumors of the 5/5s and then the shoddy looking construction of the iwatch, and now the bending of i6/6+'s.  I think we need more evidence of these bends, and how they occur, but these kinds of occurrences do really shake my already minimal faith in Apple products.

Apple's devices aren't designed to endure; they're designed to look good so tech illiterates throw their money at them. Expecting above average assembly quality from them is a stretch. What do you think happens to a macbook air if it falls vertically on a table from 15cm? The edge bends or dents. I've personally seen more than one case of this before people jump at my throat. Not to mention the thousands of cracked screens on portable idevices. My nokia 5800 once got accidentally slammed against a chair from 1.5 metres and then bounced off to the floor face down. Not a scratch. And the funny thing is, Apple fanboys always bring up the fact that they don't want crappy plastic and aluminium+glass is the best, but my phone is made completely out of plastic and got no damage from a fall that would have devastated an iphone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

interesting how had they made it a couple mm thicker, it not only wouldnt bend, but it also would have gotten rid of that stupid camera bump everybody is upset about. and would have meant a bigger battery for better life. 

3mm could make or break a phone, this time it broke it, litterally

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

agreed, and it's not like it would be much of a difference really, it would still look great, but apple couldn't boast with their ooohuiuuuhu so thin numbers.

since when are numbers so important to apple anyway. I thought they were all about experience and not performance/numbers..

And yeah i won't even try to bend my nokia 1520 it would probably break my fingers first

HOLY SHIT 10K views :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |