The iPhone 6 plus bends, when carrying it in your front pocket! Permanent bend and OFFICAL iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test (Update from 25.09.2014)

LarsReviews

Rectangles with uniform edges is a specific thing about your design though. When you see a picture like this:

<image>

I find it hard to believe that you can't see the extreme similarities between the two designs. This one in particular is for the bezel. Here's the patent drawing:

<image>

The solid lines are the claimed design. It's a bezel around the outside edge. It's quite frankly a small part of their design and not necessary to make a phone look good as evidenced by basically any option besides the Samsung Galaxy S that was found to be infringing. If you won't even let them hold a design patent on that I'm not sure what you think design patents should be allowed to protect.

The LG Prada and basically every other smartphone has those design elements. The Galaxy S wasn't the only phone that got slapped in the design patent lawsuit either. The Galaxy S 2 was said to infringe as well, which is why we ended up with the weird design of the Galaxy S 3 (asymmetrical curves, no black color, difference bezel size on the top and bottom and so on).

104425396_d7b3fd0b26.jpg

This was released before the original iPhone and has a lot of the same things Apple now owns patents for. You shouldn't be allowed to patent things that already exists but somehow Apple (and many other companies) manages to do it.

And what does that tell you about nearly EVERY SMART PHONE EVER?

Well it's not that all smartphones copied Apple that's for sure. Even Samsung had phones that looked similar to the iPhone before it was released. Phones were already going in the direction of "big screen and not much else on the front".

And what does that tell you about nearly EVERY SMART PHONE EVER?

they all look the same

its like ford sueing mercades for making a car with 4 wheels and an engine

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The LG Prada and basically every other smartphone has those design elements. The Galaxy S wasn't the only phone that got slapped in the design patent lawsuit either. The Galaxy S 2 was said to infringe as well, which is why we ended up with the weird design of the Galaxy S 3 (asymmetrical curves, no black color, difference bezel size on the top and bottom and so on).

The Prada doesn't have the same degree of curve. If LG didn't patent their design that's not Apple's fault.

The black color isn't what's even referred to here though, it's the degree of the curve on the corners and the round of the bezel, which are quite obviously imitated in the S and S2.

they all look the same

its like ford sueing mercades for making a car with 4 wheels and an engine

They don't all look the same though. The One M8 looks very different, as does the OnePlus One and the Lumia series. When manufacturers try to make good designs, they can make good designs without making it look like an iPhone.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The One M8 looks very different,

But everyone thinks my wife's One M8 is an iPhone.. Clearly it isn't -very- different.

But everyone thinks my wife's One M8 is an iPhone.. Clearly it isn't -very- different.

That's due to people not understanding that not all smartphones are iPhones. Compare this: htc_one_m8_hardware.jpg?itok=tgAbjoGC

to this:

gs5-angle-640.png?w=640

to this:

apple-iphone-6-6-plus-hands-on-sg-26-600

And tell me which two look the most similar.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's due to people not understanding that not all smartphones are iPhones. Compare this: 

to this:

to this:

And tell me which two look the most similar.

I agree, but the thing that most makes them similar is a centered hard button... Is that to say that any phone with a centered hard button is copying iPhones? Because that is something that is just plain convenient. 

The Prada doesn't have the same degree of curve.

Yes it does. Apple's design patent isn't about having the same degree as the iPhone, it's about having the same degree on the top and bottom. The HTC m7 and m8 are also infringing on that specific part of the design patent.

If LG didn't patent their design that's not Apple's fault.

You shouldn't be able to patent things which has prior art no matter if they had a patent for it or not.

Nobody owns a patent for the smartphone but you can't just go out and patent that as of today because it already exists.

The black color isn't what's even referred to here though, it's the degree of the curve on the corners and the round of the bezel, which are quite obviously imitated in the S and S2.

Yes, the color black is in fact specified. It's even rumored that's the reason why Samsung now uses a dark blue color instead.

Quote from the patent:

"The face, back and side surfaces of the electronic device shown in the FIGS. 1 8 are illustrated with color designations. The face and the back surface are black. The side surfaces are silver, grey or chrome."

and of course they covered the color white as well:

"The face, back and side surfaces of the electronic device shown in the FIGS. 9 16 are illustrated with color designations. The face and the back surface are white. The side surfaces are silver, grey or chrome."

I guess Samsung should have patented the color gold when they had the chance...

And here is a quote from the actual lawsuit:

"[...]a flat rectangular shape with rounded corners, a metallic edge, a large display screen bordered at the top and bottom with substantial black segments and a selection of colorful icons with rounded corners that mirror the rounded corners of the iPhone itself [...]".

Here is a video from MKBHD (before he became super popular) about the subject.

They don't all look the same though. The One M8 looks very different, as does the OnePlus One and the Lumia series. When manufacturers try to make good designs, they can make good designs without making it look like an iPhone.

Nope, I can find plenty of similarities between the iPhone and the HTC M8, a lot of which Apple has patented.

Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Apple Nation attacked. Only the Nokia, master of all four platforms, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished.

*claps* Well done sire, well done.

Of course, apple said 9 so there must be 9! right? No way some didn't get sent high enough, or rejected outright - this is apple we are talking about, the jesus to google's satan!

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I don't get why people praise Apple's support if that's what it's like.

"Don't have Apple care? Then we are going to charge you 329 dollars for replacing your product which got bent within a week of normal use!".

That's not good customer service, it's mediocre customer service. I can buy 100 dollar warranties for pretty much anything and get the same "good" service Apple provided the people in the screenshots. On top of that, they will have to pay 79 dollars + taxes on that repair even when they do have AppleCare+.

Wanna know what good customer service is? My Vengeance 1500 headset broke. I contacted Corsair and they wanted me to pay the shipping fee to Germany to have it replaced. I told them "no way", closed the support ticked and contacted the retailer I bought them from instead. Want to know how the retailer handled it? They asked me what the problem was, what I have done to try to fix it (i.e plugged in to another computer). After having answered those questions (took like 5 minutes) they went "yep that's a broken product" and sent me a brand new pair with express shipping and told me "don't bother sending in the old pair, just throw them away". That's good customer service. Expecting your customers to pay 329 dollars or even 79 dollars for a product that got bent after 1 week of normal usage is terrible customer service.

I wonder how many people brought their phones in and went "nahh I am not going to pay 329/79 dollars to have it fixed" and Apple just didn't count that as reported incidents.

"Don't have Apple care? Then we are going to charge you 329 dollars for replacing your product which got bent within a week of normal use!".

That's not good customer service, it's mediocre customer service. I can buy 100 dollar warranties for pretty much anything and get the same "good" service Apple provided the people in the screenshots. On top of that, they will have to pay 79 dollars + taxes on that repair even when they do have AppleCare+.

Wanna know what good customer service is? My Vengeance 1500 headset broke. I contacted Corsair and they wanted me to pay the shipping fee to Germany to have it replaced. I told them "no way", closed the support ticked and contacted the retailer I bought them from instead. Want to know how the retailer handled it? They asked me what the problem was, what I have done to try to fix it (i.e plugged in to another computer). After having answered those questions (took like 5 minutes) they went "yep that's a broken product" and sent me a brand new pair with express shipping and told me "don't bother sending in the old pair, just throw them away". That's good customer service. Expecting your customers to pay 329 dollars or even 79 dollars for a product that got bent after 1 week of normal usage is terrible customer service.

I wonder how many people brought their phones in and went "nahh I am not going to pay 329/79 dollars to have it fixed" and Apple just didn't count that as reported incidents.

It would make more sense if that's what happened, but the fanboys here will continue to call Apple a benevolent company. :/

In my experience Apple's chat and telephone support is just like most other companies in that there are some bad or uninformed support reps. From all other reports I have seen Apple is replacing bent phones for free, so I assume this rep did not get that memo or something seeing as he was treating it the same as accidental damage like dropping it and breaking the screen.  I do find Apple's telephone/chat support to be far more inconsistent than their in store support though as I have never had a bad experience dealing with their support in store.

Do we really need 19 pages of this?

*sighs*

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

-snip-

Don't need the religious references, thank you.

Also not sure how that's relevant.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

just another little vid here

I'm not saying not to get that device, but if you do, I think it's a good idea to get a hard cover for it.

You know this whole " ah mah gawd it's bented!! " things is a little bit ridiculous, I can understand some people pay upwards of $400 and expect a certain amount of craftan ship, but you have to be a realist the thinner some thing gets the more easy it is to have some thing break with little to no effort. Every thing has a flaw nothing is perfect and shit happens and last I checked Apple will replace/fix them and not have you sign a waiver to do so.

Took me a while to find this but I dont recall seeing. A ton of "explodinggate" shit about it

Do we really need 19 pages of this?

*sighs*

You did contribute to those 19 pages, just to be fair.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

You did contribute to those 19 pages, just to be fair.

How is that "being fair?" I was not an active participant for all 19 pages.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I didn't check, and instead relied on profiling(TSA STYLE!)....Just imagined that you would be apart of a 19 page thread about apple:P My bad.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I didn't check, and instead relied on profiling(TSA STYLE!)....Just imagined that you would be apart of a 19 page thread about apple:P My bad.

I was earlier on...but then it just started to drag on. I'd rather have this die as soon as possible because I'm sick of hearing about it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I was earlier on...but then it just started to drag on. I'd rather have this die as soon as possible because I'm sick of hearing about it.

Too bad you didn't start the topic then. Seems like the best way to get it closed :P

Too bad you didn't start the topic then. Seems like the best way to get it closed :P

Right?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No only 14 / 19 with a total of 47 posts which makes up more than 12% of total posts meaning this thread would be 2 and a bit pages shorter had you not contributed....... Probably 10 pages shorter because people would have had nobody to argue with.

It's alright though we need somebody to argue with.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4