The iPhone 6 plus bends, when carrying it in your front pocket! Permanent bend and OFFICAL iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test (Update from 25.09.2014)

LarsReviews

Did anyone else actually watch the video and notice how hard he is trying to bend it? 

FFS, I can bend almost any phone if I put my arms into it, so to speak, so while I'm not defending Apple on fucking up with a solid chassis are we really accepting this as scientific evidence? 

Jesus. The need to hate on Apple for anything is a little disgusting around here. I'll wait for someone to do a test involving machines that can measure force applied to see what it actually takes, and how it compares to other devices, and then make my decision from there. 

But hey, critical thinking is too difficult, far easier to knee jerk everything these days.

Can't believe he said "for the sake of science". NOTHING WAS SCIENTIFIC ABOUT THAT TEST FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Yes, because if Jobs were here, he would magically summon the god of machined 6061 aluminum, Bauxitorus, and ask him to stop bending everyones' iPhones.

Yes, because it was entirely true and a great example of the double standards that people hold Apple to.

The point about jobs is that ever since the crazy bugger died apple has been losing it.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Oh and here http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

Does this excuse whats happening? Nope. Apple needs to figure out the EXACT REASONS that cause this, and not rely on internet hyperbole to figure things out. The internet likes to exaggerate and jump on the bandwagons for loving and hating something. 

Bend-ghazi Gate 2014 is going to be entertaining, to say the least. Those who don't know won't care, those who need to hate Apple will eat it up, and every other critical thinker will ask for more evidence and not a bunch of forum posts and videos under varying circumstances to figure out whats going on. 

Sorry, you can't defend this shit. It's very obvious that this is blatant engineering compromise to thin the phone down to such a degree. Everything about the iP6 is great, but this is a proper fuck up.

'you're pocketing it wrong'.

Blatant engineering compromise my ass. This is one guy's unscientific demonstration of a flaw present in several modern smartphones aside from iPhones and a single other occurrence of it happening.

OK. After the unboxing therapy videos, I think all the Apple fanboys need to kind of accept this is a thing and that apple needs to be called to attention.

If you look at the link @Victorious Secret posted, I think you'll see this is a pretty common problem. All the manufacturers need to be called to attention over this.

What I worry about is that the battery can explode if it bends.

That's preposterous.

The point about jobs is that ever since the crazy bugger died apple has been losing it.

If by losing it you mean selling more and more of their products every year, then sure.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Jesus. The need to hate on Apple for anything is a little disgusting around here. I'll wait for someone to do a test involving machines that can measure force applied to see what it actually takes, and how it compares to other devices, and then make my decision from there. 

Yup it almost makes me not want to visit the forum

Is it bad you can bend the 6+ by hand? yes, is it the only phone that can do it? nope I am sure 95% of most smartphones can be bent or snapped by hand, unless somebody proves otherwise

I am sure apple will get it in the throat though

That said my 6 feels absolutely solid, the 6 plus does seem to have a weaker chassis

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If by losing it you mean selling more and more of their products every year, then sure.

I was just saying the products they produced took a totally different turn, i wasn't trying to deny they make oodles and oodles of cash.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I was just saying the products they produced took a totally different turn, i wasn't trying to deny they make oodles and oodles of cash.

How did they take a totally different turn? The ethos of their design language is still very clearly there...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

How did they take a totally different turn? The ethos of their design language is still very clearly there...

Well, they gave up the whole 4 inches is the sweetspot thing, and got rid of the kinda square aesthetic that had been present for several generations.

Also the new mac pro, but i think that was just as likely to happen if Steve jobs were around or not

Yup it almost makes me not want to visit the forum

I've maintained that I will give Apple crap when they deserve it, 100%. 

The 100 degree MBP? Yea. Fuck that. That was 100% unacceptable. The 17" Pros had unacceptable cooling that seriously harmed component life, especially if you used the MBP like it was meant to be: creating content. 

I'm lucky mine lasted 4 years with no issue, but the TIM had gone to hell, the fans were overworked and not powerful enough, and my average temps were a little stupid under idle cause of it. Not anything ANYONE needs to deal with. 

But this? WE HAVE NO SCIENTIFIC DATA! We have zilch. We have a bunch of undocumented "tests" and first person claims and no real data. We have no "This happens to 1 in X devices" number. Nothing. WE don't even have force data to see just how weak/strong these are. 

We have just as many people saying "This isn't new, this isn't exclusive to Apple, or this is BS" as well. Who is right and wrong? I have no idea. No one does. Anyone saying otherwise is full of shit. I like having data. Raw, workable data to make a point. We don't have that. We have "for the sake of science" nonsense tests. 

Its like thinking critically is too much to ask from 99% of this forum. They'd rather blindly hate and stick to stereotypes and be closed minded. Why? Instant gratification. Now most of these guys will whack off to the idea that Linus will talk about how poorly built the iPhone is on the next WAN Show because this is now a popular thread. There, thats the motivation these days to post anything; get attention and not give a shit about WHAT is being discussed; just as long as something gets discussed. 

Blatant engineering compromise my ass. This is one guy's unscientific demonstration of a flaw present in several modern smartphones aside from iPhones and a single other occurrence of it happening.

If you look at the link @Victorious Secret posted, I think you'll see this is a pretty common problem. All the manufacturers need to be called to attention over this.

That's preposterous.

There is an obvious weak point at the bottom of the volume rocker. Engineering failure.

And no, a compromised battery housing leading to ignition is not proposterous at all.

That's preposterous.

Indeed, it looks to be a more widespread problem. Needs more attention to it, I don't think ive seen a professional attempt to bend a phone for other manufacturers.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Well, they gave up the whole 4 inches is the sweetspot thing, and got rid of the kinda square aesthetic that had been present for several generations.

Also the new mac pro, but i think that was just as likely to happen if Steve jobs were around or not

The iPhones have had nearly identical front profiles for seven years now: straight edges, rounded corners.

They gave up on four inches being the sweetspot because the world moved on. There are still many Apple users who prefer the smaller screen, and the 6 (non-plus) is a very similar size to the 5s which can also still be purchased. The Mac Pro is a total Apple product, integrate your system and use that advantage to do something that hadn't been seen before.

There is an obvious weak point at the bottom of the volume rocker. Engineering failure.

And no, a compromised battery housing leading to ignition is not proposterous at all.

It's completely preposterous that a (2-cell?) phone battery would explode from bending. It simply doesn't work like that! 

Also I'm not sure what you mean by an obvious weak point. Legitimately not sure.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

yet we will always be told by those subject to apples marketing that the iphone is best.......i keep my m8...

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Bwaha. Shitty protruding camera design and bent as shit.

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

This is what happens when Apple tries to "innovate."

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Its like thinking critically is too much to ask from 99% of this forum. They'd rather blindly hate and stick to stereotypes and be closed minded. Why? Instant gratification. Now most of these guys will whack off to the idea that Linus will talk about how poorly built the iPhone is on the next WAN Show because this is now a popular thread. There, thats the motivation these days to post anything; get attention and not give a shit about WHAT is being discussed; just as long as something gets discussed. 

Yup, though I find this is just people in general

I try and stick to the PC build threads and off topic these days but even there people act without thinking

Meh I give up pretty much, so happy I am away for 3 weeks from tomorrow

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Meanwhile @ apple:

apple engineers: "we can't cheap out on that, Jobs would kill us if we didn't add extra support to the structure of the previous iPhones!"

apple execs: "Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do."

apple engineer: "are you reading from his auto-biography?"

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Man they need some G flex technology on that shit, when you think of it, the G flex can flex flat then go back naturally, Plastic phones are good!

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I mean I worked there less than 6 months ago , and customer still did not understand what an "all in one pc is" they would be like "what you dont need the box? where is the computer then" - I had that every day... its fucking 2014, and people have not heard of an all in one pc

Hahaha I find that exceptionally hilarious considering the people I used to work with thought the monitor was the PC and the "box" was just for storage and plugging in their usbs

The one thing I hated about updating my iPhone to iOS7 was the icons it made me so sad. iOS7 was actually what pushed me back into the android market it looked too childish for my liking.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Sorry but that article seems like bullshit to me. Things like putting your phone in a cup holder and then leaning against it to make it snap is not the same as just having your phone in your front pocket.

Some of the cases in the article seems valid (although we have next to no data regarding it) but some just seem like desperate "oh God I have to find phones that are bent to protect Apple, I'll just get any article of a bent phone!".

Did anyone else actually watch the video and notice how hard he is trying to bend it?

I watched the video, very carefully (frame by frame). The phone bends almost immediately. I counted about 5 frames from that he started applying pressure to that the phone started being deformed. The pressure he puts on it during those ~5 frames doesn't look like it's much either (he is not shaking, his fingers aren't turning white or anything like that).

Judging by that video I'd say the iPhone 6+ has a very weak body. It seems like it's in roughly the same location as the other images as well.

I still don't think it's enough to make a proper judgement just yet, but everything we got (which is very limited) points towards it being very easy to bend even during regular usage.

Aluminum also gets softer when it gets hot. If you for example had been playing some games then put it in your pocket and drive for a few hours on a hot summer day it seems likely that even a small amount of pressure will bend it.

I think this is as good of a time as ever to repeat what I've said before: Aluminum in smartphones is not that good. It has lots of issues. Something like a more exotic plastic would be better (like Kevlar or carbon fiber reinforced bodies). It doesn't have the issues regarding wireless signals and it doesn't have the issue of bending, denting or getting visible scratches.

I have to say I am disappointed in Apple if it turns out to be a widespread issue. Jony seems to have mailed this one in while he was working on the Watch. Bad Jony, bad Jony!

Sorry but that article seems like bullshit to me. Things like putting your phone in a cup holder and then leaning against it to make it snap is not the same as just having your phone in your front pocket.
Some of the cases in the article seems valid (although we have next to no data regarding it) but some just seem like desperate "oh God I have to find phones that are bent to protect Apple, I'll just get any article of a bent phone!".I think this is as good of a time as ever to repeat what I've said before: Aluminum in smartphones is not that good. It has lots of issues. Something like a more exotic plastic would be better (like Kevlar or carbon fiber reinforced bodies). It doesn't have the issues regarding wireless signals and it doesn't have the issue of bending, denting or getting visible scratches.

Only one of those involved a cup holder, most of them were front pocket deformities just like these.

I do however think it's time for Apple to get off their aluminum kick at least with smartphones and switch to something more suited to smaller devices, with higher torsional rigidity. Maybe magnesium? Liquidmetal? Plastic just seems cheap to me, at least in most of the ways it's done.

I'd love to see them switch to the 5c design with an internal steel frame and polycarbonate outer layer. Bend that, bitches!

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Aluminum also gets softer when it gets hot. If you for example had been playing some games then put it in your pocket and drive for a few hours on a hot summer day it seems likely that even a small amount of pressure will bend it.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Liquidmetal? Plastic just seems cheap to me, at least in most of the ways it's done.

That would be sweet but costly.

I completely agree about plastic I just don't like it on a high end phone.

I can't imagine this is a widespread problem but to be honest if it is I can't see apple being able to fix it as Lawlz said heat and aluminium make for a very malleable metal

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'll wait for someone to do a test involving machines that can measure force applied to see what it actually takes, and how it compares to other devices, and then make my decision from there. 

Actually that'd be awesome, I'd love to see how 6/6Plus compares to something like OpO, S5 and old Noikas (specifically 3310 and 8910, the titanium one).

Oh, by the way my university has a bending press, so if you want me to test a phone, feel free to send me one.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I have to say I am disappointed in Apple if it turns out to be a widespread issue. Jony seems to have mailed this one in while he was working on the Watch. Bad Jony, bad Jony!

Only one of those involved a cup holder, most of them were front pocket deformities just like these.

I do however think it's time for Apple to get off their aluminum kick at least with smartphones and switch to something more suited to smaller devices, with higher torsional rigidity. Maybe magnesium? Liquidmetal? Plastic just seems cheap to me, at least in most of the ways it's done.

I'd love to see them switch to the 5c design with an internal steel frame and polycarbonate outer layer. Bend that, bitches!

They could but an X shaped aluminum brace on the inside cover of the phone?