AT&T and Verizon says 4Mbps is enough [ISP WTF]

Jerakl

Those two can seriously go fuck themselves. I and most people I know consider anything below 5 to be subpar and they think that it's enough for most people? They really piss me off.

as more companies start to pursue digital distribution and/or streaming, I have to wonder what do they think of this BS that is the current ISP f**kary. Shouldn't they be lobbying or something to have NN and better internet speed standards.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Reminds me of the UK government touting about providing "Superfast
broadband connections" to the entirety of the UK at "blazing fast"
speeds of... 2Mb/s. :P

As someone with a less than 4Mb/s connection, this is pretty funny. I

wonder if they realise just how badly affected one's experience of
browsing the internet can be as a result of such a slow connection?
You can't stream HD content on video streaming services such as
Netflix and can't properly stream 720p+ content on even the likes of
YouTube...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Yeah maybe when it is DSL not Fiber though... 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

meanwhile I am tethering to my phone at 20mbps on an unlimited tmobile connection because my dorm internet is only 5/5... I've seen up to 40mbps... 

Isn't there some independant body like Offcom in the US to investigate reports of so much malpractice and unfair treatment of customers?

I know ISPs in the UK aren't the greatest but if any of the providers here, especially a cable laying power like BT attempted this, they wouldn't get away with it.

Clearly you guys haven't heard of Cox; they are the bane of my existence and have a monopoly-effectively- over that privilege.

Yup; their data cap policies are criminal!

Enough for who exactly. Because for me if I have 1Gb down that still wouldn't be enough. I want things to download in about 10 seconds or so. If 10Gb was available where I lived for £200 a month I would pay that. I would also want 1Gb upload though. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Guys maybe they actually meant 4 MB not Mb /s  cause then it makes sense, i switched from 5.6MB/s(or 50mbps) effective speeds to 500mbps or ~60MB/s and i honestly dont need that much but im amateur enthusiast so i like speed when i click a 4K youtube video and bam it works :D 

If they meant 4Mb/s than i dont think im surprised lately i feel like stupid has taken over the world a bit more than it should wtf,especially in the USA.

4mbps should be the minimum up not down and 25mbps should be the minimum for a budget plan i dont know where they pulled 4 from 2005 maybe

Meanwhile in Indonesia, I want cheap 4mbps connection, my country had a very expensive internet, 1 mbps adsl at least cost $17/month, 2 mbps $50/month, 3 mbps about $100/month and if you want good dedicated 2 mbps international link cost more than $200/month.

nsh.gif

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Yup; their data cap policies are criminal!

Yeah, but they are so horrible at enforcing them the only thing that I don't have a problem with them for is the data cap policy. Its also better than the wireless sprint connection we had before that had only 6GB total!

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Just Nope 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Yeah, but they are so horrible at enforcing them the only thing that I don't have a problem with them for is the data cap policy. Its also better than the wireless sprint connection we had before that had only 6GB total!

Hughes net starts at 5gb monthly consider yourself lucky

-------

Current Rig

-------

If they mean a actual dl speed of 4mb, thats fine. If they mean a speedtest result of 4mb, they can go fuck themselves

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Meanwhile in Indonesia, I want cheap 4mbps connection, my country had a very expensive internet, 1 mbps adsl at least cost $17/month, 2 mbps $50/month, 3 mbps about $100/month and if you want good dedicated 2 mbps international link cost more than $200/month.

Sounds like yall need to take your government and shove it up the ISP's ass.

Hughes net sucks.

This is stupid, 4mpbs? Since when did these companies decide that they could be right instead of the customer? If I had at&t or verizon I would drop them

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hughes net starts at 5gb monthly consider yourself lucky

I told my parents when they were considering it "Nope, just nope"

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I told my parents when they were considering it "Nope, just nope"

Considering hughes net? Just say no. That company is god aweful.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh then paying 2 euros a month for internet is also enough. Okay deal.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

you know, i have been living with 2.8Mbps (350Kb/s) my entire life, and i have to say, my connection is good enough to watch you tube 720p, or download a gigabyte of whatever in about an hour, so i can see their reason for saying that 4Mbps is enough, but for heavy internet users that are use to 50Mbps, i'm sure that will be infuriating.

i'm guessing internet is connection is like switching form a HDD to a SSD, once you have a good one, going back just feels stupid...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

The problem is dinosaurs leading the company. Ofcoursr old person who only uses internet to browse information will feel 4'mbps as enough. That person got stuck in 2005 and refuses to accept the facts.... :( They need to put young ppl in charge imho.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

At least here in Wales there is a scheme funded by the WELSH government that will have 96% of Wales on 25Mbit or above by the end of 2016, after that there is a "phase 2" which is gradual roll-out of FTTP. The remaining 4% will be able to connected to FTTP via a government grant. That's how it should be done EVERYWHERE.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz