Fullscreen Borderless But With Lower Resolution?

Sparky862

Okay I have a dual monitor setup, therefor I can not run Fullscreen. Because everytime I Alt+Tab out the game, everything flashes black before it switches.

Now the next best thing is Borderless Fullscreen. Only when the game is on Borderless Fullscreen it does not give you the options to switch from Native Res. I know the obvious answer is to set my 1440p Desktop Res to 1080p, but I don't want to do this everytime I run the game I want to play.

Are there other ways to get this game to run at 1080p Borderless Fullscreen just so I can get more FPS?

Remnant 2 on Steam

RTX 3060 TI

i5 12400f

32gb DDR4

DLSS/FSR in this game? They are the Nvidia/AMD upscalers, in their respective 'quality' modes it can use 67%/58%/50% of native resolution, boosting framerates.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I can use Windowed Mode. But using this mode at 1080p setting, just gives me a small window in the middle of my 1440p Monitor. Using Alt+Enter to go Fullscreen switches the game to Fullscreen mode at 1080 and then I am back with the issue that I am now playing in Fullscreen mode, and not Windowed Mode.

10 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

DLSS/FSR in this game? They are the Nvidia/AMD upscalers, in their respective 'quality' modes it can use 67%/58%/50% of native resolution, boosting framerates.

They are there, but the game is BADLY optimised. My system can't even reach 60fps with no upscallers. Adding the upscallers gives me roughly 80fps but dips to 10fps at some crazy fights or effects on the map.

Some maps you just stand still and the game drops to 20fps. All you do is stand still.

At 1080p I noticed the game is much more stable with my System. But I can't force the game on 1080p using Fullscreen Window Mode or even just Window Mode. Which is what I am trying to achive so I can still use my 2nd monitor.

17 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Are there other ways to get this game to run at 1080p Borderless Fullscreen just so I can get more FPS?

Borderless simply means its a window that has no borders, it won't touch the monitor's resolution.

So you'll either have to lower resolution in Windows before running the game in borderless mode or as @SkilledRebuilds suggested, run the game at 1440p and use DLSS/FSR to lower its internal render resolution.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

They are there, but the game is BADLY optimised. My system can't even reach 60fps with no upscallers. Adding the upscallers gives me roughly 80fps but dips to 10fps at some crazy fights or effects on the map.

Some maps you just stand still and the game drops to 20fps. All you do is stand still.

At 1080p I noticed the game is much more stable with my System. But I can't force the game on 1080p using Fullscreen Window Mode or even just Window Mode. Which is what I am trying to achive so I can still use my 2nd monitor.

1440p DLSS Q is 960p (basically 1080p) and it shouldn't really have such a negative effect vs what you stated 1080p 'stable' performed...

It's weird there is a sudden shift when using DLSS but I don't doubt you, the game does have many comments/threads/articles about how bad optimization is.

https://funk.eu/hrc/

This link is for HOTKEY Resolution Changer.

120316_HCR_Screenshot2_large.jpg

It can sit in your system tray and you can assign hotkeys to specific resolutions...

CNTL+1 for example 2650x1440p/### Hz and CNTL+2 can be 1080p ### Hz

So it would be a Hotkey based change, as opposed to you swapping it every time with MANY more clicks, you can just use a hotkey of your own choosing.

Should be near instant.

FYI I've never used it since 5 odd years ago and I had a single monitor at the time, but hopefully it will do what you want.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

33 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Okay I have a dual monitor setup, therefor I can not run Fullscreen. Because everytime I Alt+Tab out the game, everything flashes black before it switches.

36 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

okay, to explain why everything flashes, is because if you run game at 1080p, but your desktop is 1440p,

when you run the game, it basically tells windows to change it's rez on that monitor to 1080p, but when you alt tab, it automatically changes to 1440p, and when you alt-tab back to game it auto-changes to 1080p because the game is running on 1080p,

since it's changing display settings all the displays have to adapt for change because interaction between multi-monitors changes based on resolution.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I'd just run the game at 1280x720 , and the monitor will simply scale it 2x at 1440p

You should be able to set the video card to lock the first monitor at 1440p and rescale any resolution to 1440p

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd just run the game at 1280x720 , and the monitor will simply scale it 2x at 1440p

You should be able to set the video card to lock the first monitor at 1440p and rescale any resolution to 1440p

What?