AT&T and Verizon says 4Mbps is enough [ISP WTF]

Jerakl

Yeah, but they are so horrible at enforcing them the only thing that I don't have a problem with them for is the data cap policy. Its also better than the wireless sprint connection we had before that had only 6GB total!

It's strange really. We have Cox under my parents name (under the same name). We pay the same for both plans. What ends up happening is, they give data notices off the ass for one place (one we rarely even use) and the other place they completely ignore (the one we use mainly (and the one we use atleast twice if not 3x the data they allot us for our plan). 

How does technology evolving works? You can say whatever you want but you are GOING THE WRONG WAY.

If you want to make the world a better place, do the opposite of what you, well always do.

Is there even a word to describe de-evolving/ going back from an evolution?

If they do this, i will send them a CRT monitor with "your future, thanks sh*t company" written in crayon on it.

I lost hope in mankind, again.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I don't know if someone posted this already, but IIRC here in Germany 1Mbps enough to be called broadband by legal definition.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

tbh i can live with 10 mbps, but i prefer 25+ mbps, its hard to go back when you have 70/70 mbps though :)

It's strange really. We have Cox under my parents name (under the same name). We pay the same for both plans. What ends up happening is, they give data notices off the ass for one place (one we rarely even use) and the other place they completely ignore (the one we use mainly (and the one we use atleast twice if not 3x the data they allot us for our plan).

I think its just so that they can sell more expensive packages that supposedly have a higher data cap.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

No.

The only YouTube video you can watch without endless buffering on 4mbps.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

It is for around 60% of people, if not mere than that.

It's the ping time that matters.

Bring on the h8 guise

But when you consider most people look at images and watch youtube all day it doesn't so really it's only fine for 10% of people ie: grandma.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

But when you consider most people look at images and watch youtube all day it doesn't so really it's only fine for 10% of people ie: grandma.

You can sustain two 720p streams with just 4Mb, I think it's OK for more than grannies.

I think the problem is people think they need more than they actually need. It's nice to be me on a 76/19Mb connection, but I coped fine when I had a 4Mb connection myself. I could do whatever I wanted. The only real difference is that things download very quickly nowadays. It's not as if pages load any slower on ADSL.

I am sticking with my opinion that it's line quality that counts more, not line speed.

By the time you get to 16Mb, you don't really need very much more, any more is superfluous.

(bring on the h9 - like h8 but moar)

Compatible with Windows 95

You can sustain two 720p streams with just 4Mb, I think it's OK for more than grannies.

I think the problem is people think they need more than they actually need. It's nice to be me on a 76/19Mb connection, but I coped fine when I had a 4Mb connection myself. I could do whatever I wanted. The only real difference is that things download very quickly nowadays. It's not as if pages load any slower on ADSL.

I am sticking with my opinion that it's line quality that counts more, not line speed.

By the time you get to 16Mb, you don't really need very much more. (bring on h9 - like h8 but moar)

You know they'll throttle the connection between the servers and them regardless of the package which is why net neutrality is so important and with compression getting better and better with quality loss do we really need Gigabit in 10 years maybe; maybe not but right know you need 20Mbps to be pretty comfortable to watch Netflix, download games from Steam etc. while doing other things at the same time so in the end I don't disagree with you but with the current state in which the internet is because of the big ISPs it's not a 100% true statement that 4Mbps is fine for 60% of users, that's what I'm getting at.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You know they'll throttle the connection between the servers and them regardless of the package which is why net neutrality is so important and with compression getting better and better with quality loss do we really need Gigabit in 10 years maybe; maybe not but right know you need 20Mbps to be pretty comfortable to watch Netflix, download games from Steam etc. while doing other things at the same time so in the end I don't disagree with you but with the current state in which the internet is because of the big ISPs it's not a 100% true statement that 4Mbps is fine for 60% of users, that's what I'm getting at.

We shall have to agree to disagree.

Compatible with Windows 95

OMG I hope my ISP doesn't hear about this (bring on the Telekom hate @LukaP ). If you want IP TV, even SD channels need at least 3 Mbps, and then you're left with 1 Mbps for surfing. Not to mention 4 would be barely able to keep up with 1080p Youtube. And God forbid you want to watch 4K content! 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

OMG I hope my ISP doesn't hear about this (bring on the Telekom hate @LukaP ). If you want IP TV, even SD channels need at least 3 Mbps, and then you're left with 1 Mbps for surfing. Not to mention 4 would be barely able to keep up with 1080p Youtube. And God forbid you want to watch 4K content! 

im not even gonna go there. already had to threaten them to deliver me the speeds i pay for...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Enough for who exactly. Because for me if I have 1Gb down that still wouldn't be enough. I want things to download in about 10 seconds or so. If 10Gb was available where I lived for £200 a month I would pay that. I would also want 1Gb upload though.

Be a tad more than £200 , With 10 gigabit routers being a bit On the insanely expensive side. Also I doubt you have 10 gigabits cable for hternet cabling through your house.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Be a tad more than £200 , With 10 gigabit routers being a bit On the insanely expensive side. Also I doubt you have 10 gigabits cable for hternet cabling through your house.

I wouldn't need a router. Just use some crazy thick ethernet cable.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Sounds like yall need to take your government and shove it up the ISP's ass.

Hughes net sucks.

This is stupid, 4mpbs? Since when did these companies decide that they could be right instead of the customer? If I had at&t or verizon I would drop them

We will have a new president next month, all Indonesian people just hope he will build a better infrastructure for our internet.

Meanwhile linustechtips is sponsored by AT&T

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Are ISPs and phone companies having a contest to see who can say the dumbest thing? Are you kidding me, 4mbps!? So my 5mbps dsl connection is broadband now?! Whats next, I have to pay broadband prices for my dsl connection??

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Can't everyone just take their business elsewhere? I.e. vote with your wallets and go to another ISP?

Can't everyone just take their business elsewhere? I.e. vote with your wallets and go to another ISP?

It's not always an option. For example where I live we have ONE isp choice, charter. There are no other internet service providers available. 

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

No.

NOOOOOOOO.

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

It's not always an option. For example where I live we have ONE isp choice, charter. There are no other internet service providers available. 

That's pretty tough, are you rural? Or is there something else preventing any competition?

That's pretty tough, are you rural? Or is there something else preventing any competition?

Charter has pretty much bought out all the other companies that were around here or the others just went out of business. I think you might can get AT&T U verse if you live in the city, but I'm not sure. But that's really all the options we have.

-Edit- Just checked at&t u verse is not available here or in town.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

I just had a terrible thought what happens if fast lanes becomes a thing and steam, Orgin, Uplay, etc are forced to pay in order to get better connectivity and then in order to compensate for the fees they have to pay, they transfer it onto the people and then suddenly we are forced to pay a sub fee. Not saying it will happen if fast lanes goes through, just a thought.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Cmon guys, i have had always 4mb/s and it is enough. You can watch youtube at 720p no problems and that is enough for most consumers. For a base plan i don't think is that bad, i've seen worse.

Or maybe living in a 3rd world country makes my expectations much lower.

i will agree that for a base plan, like the absolute cheapest plan they offer 4Mb is fine. however they should also be offering significantly faster packages without really charging substantially more. 100Mb should not cost over 100 bucks a month. going by that logic the 4Mb plan should only be about 4 or 5 bucks a month. we both know they wont be charging that low for service. also i dont think the connection should be asymmetrical. but hey just my two cents here