Time Warner Cable just had a nationwide service outage

TopWargamer

Source: http://bgr.com/2014/08/27/time-warner-cable-internet-service-is-down/

Apparently tired of seeing Comcast hog all the bad publicity this past month, would-be merger partner Time Warner Cable has leapt back into the spotlight by delivering a nationwide Internet service outage. As Business Insider reports, TWC customers are complaining that their Internet service is down from coast to coast and an outage map posted on Twitter seems to show that this outage affects just about every customer in TWC’s footprint.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. Seriously, how do you screw up that badly!? Well, this is TWC, one of the masters of screwing up, so ya...

But anyways, this really does suck for all of the TWC customers. I don't know anybody who has TWC, so I can't confirm if it's still down, but let's just assume that it is.

When do you think Time Warner's services will be back online, and what do you think caused this?

To make matters worse, TWC’s website is completely down as well and phone calls to the company are yielding nothing but busy signals. There’s been no word yet on what’s causing the outage or when you can expect it to get fixed but we’ll be sure to post details from the company when we get them.

twc-outage-chart.jpg

COMIC SANS

There are probably a bunch of frantic sysadmins right now...

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

someones going to get fired...

I don't think so...

Higher-ups will be saying "Good job! Now we've got a good reason increase the prices for higher reliability."

Or get a promotion, I wouldn't be surprised.

I can confirm this (being a TWC user). I just got everything to load, again. Hello World! :P

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

Yup, couldn't connect to the internet at home before I left for work. Although I'll admit, aside from this, my experience with TWC hasn't been too terrible so far.

"and phone calls to the company are yielding nothing but busy signals"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
There you go, enjoy your free and awesome 'Murica while you keep bashing other countries. Because we all know "that could never happen in the US!" :D

Writtent from a "3rd world country that is full of terrorists" on a stable internet that goes out once in 3 months for about half an hour.

KTNXBYE.

This happened to Charter over the weekend. In Charter's case it seems like their DNS servers had problems causing issues across the country, switching to another DNS (Like Google's public DNS server, for example) was a viable work around at least. Though with Charter it was fixed the same day, even if it took several hours. Charter's support lines were also down, giving nothing buy busy signals.

Well this explains this morning when my service was down before work......... I better get some credit back for not having service. I havent had TWC for long, I had Comcast for years and ATT as well but TWC has been fine for the last 8 months. I was happy when the military moved me away from comcast service areas.

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |

As MrSark would say, you just got "Time Warnered"

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Time Warner is currently putting in orders for 1000's of new hamsters. apparently its cheaper to keep replacing the server hamsters then feed them, and the previous hamsters formed a union and went on strike.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

TotalBiscuits interwebs crapped out completely as he was hosting the co-optional podcast. Had to have Jesse host instead.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This means that TWC has a single point of weakness. Its like if someone plugged all the electronics in a house into one outlet. It really makes it easy for the government to censor the internet... unless this was one of those censoring moments.... perhaps someone was about to upload some sensitive information?

My service came back up at exactly 7am EST. I dunno when it went out, I was at work and came home to having nothing to do. Logged onto my phone to go to their website to find it down, talked to a friend in Illinois (i'm in Indiana) and got him to go to their website which was down. I really wanna know what the hell that was about. If that was nationwide as it looks like it was... I want an explanation right now.

Also the lag is horrendous. I was messing around on Second Life (don't judge, I only talk to some friends on there that I made while using it as an over-glorified internet radio... what? Some of the clubs play some great music.) and there was a lot of lag happening. I think the system is straining from everyone getting back online at once.

Or get a promotion, I wouldn't be surprised.

Damnit you took the words right out of my friggin mouth.

ALSO. Three blobs on the outage map, Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"and phone calls to the company are yielding nothing but busy signals"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

There you go, enjoy your free and awesome 'Murica while you keep bashing other countries. Because we all know "that could never happen in the US!" :D

Writtent from a "3rd world country that is full of terrorists" on a stable internet that goes out once in 3 months for about half an hour.

KTNXBYE.

America has more than one ISP...

Thanks capt. Everyone does, but Time Warner is one of the major ones and a ton of famous people use it. Who would have guessed there would be such a problem as reaching your ISP is such an advanced and 1st world place. :P

Thanks capt. Everyone does, but Time Warner is one of the major ones and a ton of famous people use it. Who would have guessed there would be such a problem as reaching your ISP is such an advanced and 1st world place. :P

Just because famous people use it doesn't mean everybody uses it...

I haven't seen anyone in the US bashing the 3rd World Countries often anyways. It's often other countries that bash the US more than anything...

nope I see a promotion in there future. They successfully tested there new wide area data cap system. Now they can limit every ones data in one shot. Lol

Source: http://bgr.com/2014/08/27/time-warner-cable-internet-service-is-down/

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. Seriously, how do you screw up that badly!? Well, this is TWC, one of the masters of screwing up, so ya...

But anyways, this really does suck for all of the TWC customers. I don't know anybody who has TWC, so I can't confirm if it's still down, but let's just assume that it is.

When do you think Time Warner's services will be back online, and what do you think caused this? twc-outage-chart.jpg

Put the insult stick down kid.Do you even know what happened?

This happened to Charter over the weekend. In Charter's case it seems like their DNS servers had problems causing issues across the country, switching to another DNS (Like Google's public DNS server, for example) was a viable work around at least. Though with Charter it was fixed the same day, even if it took several hours. Charter's support lines were also down, giving nothing buy busy signals.

Is that what happened?? I thought it was my hardware. I was rebooting my router and modem for hours

False, secretly all the major isp's are run by one group of people, which is why they do not compete with one another and why prices are so high.