Huge Windows 9 feature dump from WinBeta.org

Have you ever tried using the desktop on an 8 inch windows 8 tablet...?

that isn't the problem the problem is desktop/laptop users which are still the bloody majority of their user base, which metro fucking sucks on, i tried the 8.1 preview and metro was the only reason, using a mouse on it is obnoxious and wasted so much screen space on a desktop screen, i didn't bother to buy a retail box, because outside of it, otherwise is a good os, just not for desktop

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

inb4 goodbytes wall of text

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Assuming all this is true. And that there is no mix up with Windows 9 RT and Windows 9.

Then I see nothing that a simple registry tweak won't allow you to pick the layout you want.

some people actually like it it just needs to be tweaked so you dont constantly go between the two and the modern ui is kind of buggy

Microsoft wants us to forget Windows 8..... those were their exact words....

so instead of listening to everyone who hated the metro interface, they are pushing it even more?

gg, Microsoft

They did listen to everyone, It appears majority of people don't have an issue with it.

gotta link?, the article I read was an insinuation not a quote.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They did listen to everyone, It appears majority of people don't have an issue with it.

gotta link?, the article I read was an insinuation not a quote.

Oops.

I know but I dont

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so instead of listening to everyone who hated the metro interface, they are pushing it even more?

gg, Microsoft

Those were in relation to tablets and non-desktop form factors.

All rumors and official information thus far has confirmed less Modern UI on desktops.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Any word on the forced MS Account only BS?

Windows 8.x doesn't force a Microsoft Account. Of course the experience is better if you have one since you can sync PC settings and configuration across formats and system resets and whatnot. By the way, you likely already have an MS account because if you have ever signed up for any MS service ever made (including Passport from the 90s, Xbox Live, and Skype), then you have a Microsoft Account.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Windows 8.x doesn't force a Microsoft Account. Of course the experience is better if you have one since you can sync PC settings and configuration across formats and system resets and whatnot. By the way, you likely already have an MS account because if you have ever signed up for any MS service ever made (including Passport from the 90s, Xbox Live, and Skype), then you have a Microsoft Account.

There was a rumor that the new DRM would force you to get a Microsoft account. I am pretty sure that's what he is referring to.

Gonna add some of my own thoughts on the winbeta article.

There is no middle ground between devices that have the Modern UI and devices that have the desktop. You either have the desktop or you have the Modern UI, you cannot have both. As reported around a month ago, the Start Menu for desktop users in Windows Threshold can 'act' like a full screen Start Menu however, meaning if you want that functionality you can have it on the desktop. This will be helpful for devices like the Surface Pro 3.

This might be terrible, and it might be really good. If you can easily switch between "metro only" and "desktop only" then I will like it.

I don't like the idea of not having the desktop on the tablet though. One of the reasons you would want a Windows 8 tablet is to run x86 programs, but those only run in the desktop. My friend played a lot of visual novels on his Atom powered Windows tablet. Hopefully he will be able to continue doing that in Windows 9.

Current Win32 applications are being replaced with Modern UI alternatives which means the desktop will have no real use.

Yeah... That's just bullshit. Win32 applications are not being replaced by Metro applications. A lot of the apps are basically just websites, or crippled versions of their Win32 counterpart.

-Bunch of stuff about Windows RT-

Does anyone actually care about Windows RT? Anyone? One guy in my integrated system class had one and he regretted not getting the Surface Pro or an iPad.

Interactive live tiles

Do I understand it correctly if I say they will become more like widgets on Android? If so then it might be good depending on how developers decide to use it.

Notification center

About damn time. I don't get why this wasn't in metro from day one.

I am excited to test the consumer version once that is released.

source? also having the tablet ui only is suicide,windows on desktop is still they best asset, if they want so fucking bad the mobile market share, then make a dedicated os for it ffs, which you either make it free to license and cash in on the store like google does or do what you always done and let people put whatever the fucking want on it without any restriction like we could with all the previous release

That is why Windows phone and Windows RT is being merged for a dedicated mobile OS. That is why they are removing the desktop from the new Windows build tailored at mobile devices.

There is no need to pull up the desktop UI on a device 8" or less in size, it logically makes sense for them to do that. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

"The total removal of the desktop for devices that don't need it" how are they going to determine this because i would still like it on a tablet :S

"The total removal of the desktop for devices that don't need it" how are they going to determine this because i would still like it on a tablet :S

I am hoping this will be an option for manufactures to decide, E.G not including the desktop for phones and small tablets that are not marketed as desktop replacement/alternatives, or included for products that can benefit from the desktop.  I would like to see manufacturers offer it as an option if their products can go either way.   Kind of like customizable options tailoring the OS to the device. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what si cortana ??

Something like Siri or S Voice you probably know is the simpliest answer.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

There is no need to pull up the desktop UI on a device 8" or less in size, it logically makes sense for them to do that. 

I disagree. Like I said before my friend has played quite a few visual novels on his 8" tablet.

When you got access to the desktop you also got access to things like device manager and other "power user" (can't think of a better name) features. Can you even get to the task manager without the desktop?

gg, Microsoft

I genuinely think this is a clever move, it's practically a way to combat Apple's big hit on the App Store in their desktop OS. Apple hopped in the smartphone-esque look (Mavericks *cough*). I honestly thought (back when W8 was non-existent) that Microsoft would do this anytime soon. Windows 8 came and was literally a foolish move.

The integration of mobile and desktop was utterly a failure. They made a second comeback with 8.1. It didn't gather much movement. 

I'd say the idea of moving towards a mobile/desktop ecosystem baked into a desktop OS is both aesthetically pleasing and a leap towards the future of desktop. Their first approach wasn't great but they're making a huge comeback and the leaks just keep on getting better.

Windows 9.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

I disagree. Like I said before my friend has played quite a few visual novels on his 8" tablet.

When you got access to the desktop you also got access to things like device manager and other "power user" (can't think of a better name) features. Can you even get to the task manager without the desktop?

On an device 8" or less chances are that you won't even be able to use the elements properly anyway, especially if you have bigger hands (like me). Do you really see yourself pulling up the desktop UI on a phone? 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

On an device 8" or less chances are that you won't even be able to use the elements properly anyway, especially if you have bigger hands (like me). Do you really see yourself pulling up the desktop UI on a phone? 

It's not a problem if you use a stylus or that handy "turn part of the screen to a trackpad" thing. Not sure if that is in Windows by default or something my friend added later, but it made it perfectly usable on an 8" screen.

I might have been this program my friend used: TouchMousePointer and it worked flawlessly.

I don't see the point of the desktop on a phone (although I would like the option to dive in because it offers far more options) but I definition see it on 7" tablets and up.