Huge Windows 9 feature dump from WinBeta.org

Can you use an Andoird phone or device, full featured, without a Google account?

Depends on your definition of "full featured" but yes you can.

If the rumors about the new DRM are true then you will need a Microsoft account to even get a copy of Windows 9.

In other word 0.1% improvement and they will ask 100$+ for a copy.

Why is everyone so calm,at least if we had freaking alternative but we dont.

Depends on your definition of "full featured" but yes you can.

If the rumors about the new DRM are true then you will need a Microsoft account to even get a copy of Windows 9.

I mean, All features enabled. I can go the Play STore and buy anything without the Google account.

I can check my e-mail using any mail service, using the official mail app of Android, without the need of any Google account.

and so on.

In other word 0.1% improvement and they will ask 100$+ for a copy.

Why is everyone so calm,at least if we had freaking alternative but we dont.

It's been rumored for close to a year now that Microsoft would opt for a very inexpensive upgrade for existing windows 8 users. Even then if half these features end up in the first release I would gladly pay $100 for it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Some nice features, I wish they would have just spent more time perfecting WIndows 8...

Microsoft seems to release something and then reinvent it with suggestions from the public, i'm surprised people didn't wait like I did.

Some nice features, I wish they would have just spent more time perfecting WIndows 8...

Microsoft seems to release something and then reinvent it with suggestions from the public, i'm surprised people didn't wait like I did.

I think the reason why Windows 8 was a bit rushed, is because, as you may recall, Steve Ballmer said that the next version of Windows (Windows 8) would be the riskiest Windows that the company has ever done, since Windows 95. That was said way way way before anyone knew anything about Windows 8. Microsoft knows that companies follows a 6 year upgrade cycle, and just finished upgrading to Windows 7. Making this 3 years that just passed with Windows 8, the perfect window to experiment and try Windows 8. Also, the timing was correct to release a Windows powered tablet, focused on productivity. People have experienced with tablets that can pretty much do only Flash games and play videos and check mail, and showed that now, you can be productive. Sadly, things didn't go as planned for Microsoft, and the lack of transition of OS, and documentation on Windows 8, such as a tutorial, and lack of properly conveying the idea of the Start Screen beyond a blog post in the public preview days of the Windows 8, made it that people didn't understand it, let alone give it a try.

I mean, All features enabled. I can go the Play STore and buy anything without the Google account.

I can check my e-mail using any mail service, using the official mail app of Android, without the need of any Google account.

and so on.

You can go to third party app stores without a Google account if you want. You do need a Google account if you want to use Google's app store, but unlike on Windows and iOS there are multiple stores to choose from. There is even an app store dedicated to only free and open source apps called F-Droid. If that's not your cup of tea then you can use one of the other handful of app stores like Amazon or Samsung's own stores.

Yes you can check your mail using an official email app in Android. Last time I checked the stock emailing app (not talking about gmail here, I am talking about the emailing app called "Email"). It supports both POP3 and IMAP so your favorite email provider should work just fine in it. If you for some reason don't like the design of it you can also get a third party emailing client.

Edit: My issue isn't really about "you can't use Microsoft's app store or Microsoft's apps without a Microsoft account!". I am perfectly okay with having to get an account if I want to use their store, just like I am totally okay with having a Google account if I want access to Google's store. My issue is that I should have the choice to not get an account. Forcing me to get an account if I so much as want to install Windows is bullshit.

hope they have an option to disable modern on desktops completly

"More customization" means, possible?

"More customization" means, possible?

yes. 

also, love your user title :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

yes. 

also, love your user title :P

We all love my user title.

We all love my user title.

except @Jogostar. he loves ME!

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

except @Jogostar. he loves ME!

yes. thanks to voodoo and black magic.

post-121922-0-38568500-1408789007.jpg

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

You can go to third party app stores without a Google account if you want. You do need a Google account if you want to use Google's app store, but unlike on Windows and iOS there are multiple stores to choose from. There is even an app store dedicated to only free and open source apps called F-Droid. If that's not your cup of tea then you can use one of the other handful of app stores like Amazon or Samsung's own stores.

Last I check, to download programs on Windows, you go to the developer website, and download it. No account needed either.

But if you want to go at Microsoft Windows App Store you need an account. Same if you want to use any of the company services (Google and Microsoft).

Yes you can check your mail using an official email app in Android. Last time I checked the stock emailing app (not talking about gmail here, I am talking about the emailing app called "Email"). It supports both POP3 and IMAP so your favorite email provider should work just fine in it. If you for some reason don't like the design of it you can also get a third party emailing client.

Amazing! Like Windows. So then what is the problem?

Edit: My issue isn't really about "you can't use Microsoft's app store or Microsoft's apps without a Microsoft account!". I am perfectly okay with having to get an account if I want to use their store, just like I am totally okay with having a Google account if I want access to Google's store. My issue is that I should have the choice to not get an account. Forcing me to get an account if I so much as want to install Windows is bullshit.

It's been rumored for close to a year now that Microsoft would opt for a very inexpensive upgrade for existing windows 8 users. Even then if half these features end up in the first release I would gladly pay $100 for it.

sigh 'mericans dont bother getting ripped off, no wonder all the bs in the US

Pretty interested to see what kind of OS they will form for Windows Phone and RT now that they are combined together.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

hope they have an option to disable modern on desktops completly

You're my bae, but I like Modern UI.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Pretty interested to see what kind of OS they will form for Windows Phone and RT now that they are combined together.

It doesn't matter how good the OS is, people will bitch about it. 

And then scream HAIL LINUX trying to make Linux a thing. 

I assume that this means that the windows surface "replace your laptop" thing is dead now?

Last I check, to download programs on Windows, you go to the developer website, and download it. No account needed either.

But if you want to go at Microsoft Windows App Store you need an account. Same if you want to use any of the company services (Google and Microsoft).

That is not true for Metro apps. Those can't be sideloaded, and you completely ignored this part. I am going to repeat myself here since you obviously didn't read my post and therefore completely missed my point:

"I am perfectly okay with having to get an account if I want to use their store, just like I am totally okay with having a Google account if I want access to Google's store. My issue is that I should have the choice to not get an account. Forcing me to get an account if I so much as want to install Windows is bullshit."

Amazing! Like Windows. So then what is the problem?

I don't know what the problem is. You were the one who brought it up and I was just responding.

Here is how the conversation went:

You: Can you use an Andoird phone or device, full featured, without a Google account?

Me: Depends on your definition of "full featured" but yes you can.

You: I mean, All features enabled. I can go the Play STore and buy anything without the Google account. I can check my e-mail using any mail service, using the official mail app of Android, without the need of any Google account. and so on.

Me: Yes <a bunch of stuff where I prove it>

You: So what's your problem?

My problem is, like I said before, that if the rumors about the new DRM are true then I will have to get a Microsoft account and tie my Windows license to it. If the rumors are true then Microsoft is not giving me any option. Want to use Windows? Then get a Microsoft account!

I can still get Android without a Google account. I am okay with having to get an account if I want to use the store, but I want to have the option of not having an account. Sure lock me out of your store if you want, but I want to at least have the option to use the OS without an account.

It doesn't matter how good the OS is, people will bitch about it. 

And then scream HAIL LINUX trying to make Linux a thing. 

I don't speak for everyone who dislikes Windows 8, but if they had just given me the option to remove Metro I would have liked it. It's not just "baww everyone hates on it because just because they want to hate on it". People like me dislike it because it has some major flaws. I am not sure if you have noticed this but when I say I don't like something, I usually make a list of reasons why, and give suggestions on how they could have done it instead (or improve in the next iteration). If those flaws are fixed I will like it.

I assume that this means that the windows surface "replace your laptop" thing is dead now?

If I understand what the article says and from other things I have read that 2 in 1s will still have the option to use both.

EDIT: Also it would make a touch screen laptop somewhat useless/difficult with just the desktop UI. case and point...windows 7 eara touch all in ones.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4