Comcast derps again...

Since digital distribution is the primary content delivery method for games (and apps) for millions of PC users, now apparently it's starting to show on Comcast's radar as bandwidth hog, sort of:

Comcast thinks Steam download is a virus or “too heavy”

A Comcast subscriber who wanted to know why his Internet service disconnected when trying to use Steam was offered a bizarre explanation by a customer service representative who had apparently never heard of the popular video game distribution software.

"It’s probably a virus or it could be that it’s too heavy and it’s interrupting the Internet. Those are the only two things I can think about," the rep told a customer who posted a recording of the call.

The customer was apparently trying to download a game through Steam when his Internet connection stopped working. He also described the problem on reddit, saying that his 50Mbps Comcast service would initially provide 6Mbps downloads on Steam before quickly "zeroing out." Re-starting the download led to the same result.

After hearing a description of the problem, the Comcast rep said, "I would recommend you to make sure the Wi-Fi is secure because it could be a virus trying to get into your computer."

I hope they don't think of pulling a "Netflix" case on Valve some day. :ph34r: 

What the hell. That is just absolutely motherfucking stupid lol. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

This is why the old dinosaurs need to drop dead and make room for people who actually is aware what is going on around them.

Comcast logic: Something that is using the bandwidth we gave to you which you paid for? Must be a virus.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Another reason why I like UK ISP's. They don't do stupid shit.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Comcast logic: Something that is using the bandwidth we gave to you which you paid for? Must be a virus.

more like ignorant sales rep logic

also i wont be surpised if comcast starts to harass valve for money because it "uses to much bandwith" -__-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

more like ignorant sales rep logic

also i wont be surpised if comcast starts to harass valve for money because it "uses to much bandwith" -__-

I don't think Valve would give a shit. They would just release a statement saying "Your ISP sucks, deal with it" 

Downloading a game on Steam doesn't have to be as immediate as streaming something on Netflix.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I had this happen to me a few months ago.  I thought it was the Steam download servers being shitty.  Next time it happens, Comcast is going to be getting an earful.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

I don't think Valve would give a shit. They would just release a statement saying "Your ISP sucks, deal with it" 

Downloading a game on Steam doesn't have to be as immediate as streaming something on Netflix.

true but is good damn annoying to have to wait 8 hours for a game to download, this is happening to me right (to be clear i'm not in the US i just have a straight shitty connection from my isp) and people will start to complain about it, when they see their games take forever to download, at some point if comcast does what i'm thinking it will do, its going to reach a point that there's enough people complaining that something must be done

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

What the hell is wrong with you Comcast?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Honestly man what the heck is wrong with comcast, they are a shameful company.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Prepare your sphincters comcast, for you are going to draw the ire of

gaben-640x353.jpg

(Let the stare burn their souls, if they even have any)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Posted Image Wow comcast just went full retard. How retarded is their technical knowledge let alone their shocking customer service!

is it just me or is the recording gone? :(

I was looking forward to listening :(

here-at-Comcast.jpg

Edit: Also, OP, BEST NAME EVER

What really urks be about a lot of ISPs (Quite frankly I don't have this issue with any ISP in my area) is if they charge you for specific tiers of internet (varying speeds) then they should be delivering on those speeds regardless of traffic type. It's your right to get the exact bandwidth as advertised or else it's false advertising and there can be legal actions taken against them (at least in Canada).

If an ISP can't handle their customers all operating at the capacity they are paying for (at peak hours) then they need to: a) invest in upgrading infrastructure and b) offer lower tiers and higher prices on higher tiers (or get rid of them) because they can't support what they currently offer. The government needs to let competing telcos come in to areas where an ISP has a monopoly and force them to upgrade to compete with the growing market.

It's really quite simple and the world is fucked and Comcast/etc are the devils.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Just saw in the article in the OP that Comcast is trying to buy TWC. All I can say is

mother_of_god_Half_Life_2_Lamp-s233x249-

What really urks be about a lot of ISPs (Quite frankly I don't have this issue with any ISP in my area) is if they charge you for specific tiers of internet (varying speeds) then they should be delivering on those speeds regardless of traffic type. It's your right to get the exact bandwidth as advertised or else it's false advertising and there can be legal actions taken against them (at least in Canada).

If an ISP can't handle their customers all operating at the capacity they are paying for (at peak hours) then they need to: a) invest in upgrading infrastructure and B) offer lower tiers and higher prices on higher tiers (or get rid of them) because they can't support what they currently offer. The government needs to let competing telcos come in to areas where an ISP has a monopoly and force them to upgrade to compete with the growing market.

It's really quite simple and the world is fucked and Comcast/etc are the devils.

The issue with taking legal actions, is that if you look in your EULA, they probably have themselves covered with a statement like "X corp. reserves the right to limit and or throttle data usage based on peak usage hours, type of data, etc". I honestly think we need to pass laws stating that all legal documents must be able to be written on a single 8x11in. page. That no document, or law, can exceed this size, and that the text must be written in such a way that it is clearly legible to everyone. We need to end "fine print" and legal speak.

Crap i hope it doesn't happen to me because i have Comcast. 

It will now that you've said that.

I use Comcast -_- they better not mess up my steam .. I Get slow downloads for steam games too 4 MB/s when my internet on speedtest gets around 30-50 MB/s depending!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

How about instead of "ISP" we instead call them "IDP"; Internet Derp Provider?

Can we make this an LTT thing? Because it is hilarious at this point.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I use Comcast -_- they better not mess up my steam .. I Get slow downloads for steam games too 4 MB/s when my internet on speedtest gets around 30-50 MB/s depending!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

Kinda scary how accurate that video is.

If an ISP can't handle their customers all operating at the capacity they are paying for (at peak hours) then they need to: a) invest in upgrading infrastructure and B) offer lower tiers and higher prices on higher tiers (or get rid of them) because they can't support what they currently offer. The government needs to let competing telcos come in to areas where an ISP has a monopoly and force them to upgrade to compete with the growing market.

A single strand of fiber the diameter of a human hair has a maximum throughput of 100Tbps. It's a bit odd the Verizon FIOS, a fiber optic network charges the same prices for the same speeds as the other isp networks using copper is complete bs. Verizon has the bandwidth to support crap like Netflix, they just need to get there heads out of their asses. If you call and ask them to upgrade your 15mbps connection to a 500gbps connection (which they offer at a ludicrous price) all they have to do is change a setting their server software.