female adults outnumber teenage boys as largest gaming demographic

Joe_Easy

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/female-adults-oust-teenage-boys-largest-gaming-demographic/

(Source: https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/502496629405286402)

I have to say I found this surprising but then realised that many of the games described by this article are probably games like Candy Soul Crush and Farmsvillian, not what your typical Linus community member would consider a game or would need the latest processor, DDR4 Memory, graphics card or 27" 4k monitors to play.

Of course, have to call out that there many fantastic hard core gaming women in our community who have amazing rigs and know about the power of a gaming and hardware obsession.

Just feels like now that Women outnumber teenage boys, the gaming race has a chance of survival....

Oh and it's Friday...thank god.

k den.

Why does it matter, anyway? 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Good on them, i dont see why its a problem, its weird that meeting a female in a game means 10 guys following ger trying to get in her pants

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Okay, I really don't understand the obsession with these demographics.

Good on 'em? I think.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ah ma Gawd, now that all games are classed as "gaming" we've discovered through the magics of statistics that everybody plays games!

No Shit!

Yup, not really surprised if the casual style gaming demographic is involved, otherwise it would probably be much more stereotypical.
I'm also kind of confused as to why this is important. I mean, maybe to people who want to know how to know the market stats and such, but really it doesn't mean anything to everyday users. Still, on the other hand, there are plenty of things that are really pointless/irrelevant that people consider fascinating.
I guess what makes me confused is why this is seen as newsworthy, if it were up to me I'd put this in the General Discussion section.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Well okay then, whatever.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There are loads of female gamers because they aren't playing proper games. There are still quite a few female gamers when you only consider proper games, but not as many as silly statistics like this try to show.

this is a friggen joke

they are talking about casuals not actual gamers

as an example go watch  the star citizen stream a few days ago

it was a sausage fest

even on this forum and dong give me that bs about they dont want to say they are girls there are members here that say they are girls and no one harasses them

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This makes sense, female adults and teenage boys have about the same attention span for anything not simple.    :o  :ph34r: 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's not about "gamers" anymore, practically everyone and there grandomother with a phone fit into that goddam catagory , Its about enthusiast and I have no doubt that Teen boys far outnumber female adults in terms of enthusiast grade gaming.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

This makes sense, female adults and teenage boys have about the same attention span for anything not simple.    :o  :ph34r:

I'm a teenager and that comment is just stretched out to the point where I sorta have to disagree. A majority of teenagers by the time they finish grade 9 know a base line of what interests them and where they want to go in live. Like for example me, by the end of my first year of high school (grade 8 here) I knew completely where I wanted to go in the future and many others I know are doing the same. Heck i'm not even done high school and i'm already teaching my dad the basics of quantum computing, moore's law and such.

OT: this topic isn't really "gaming" like I don't consider that kim kardashian game anything other than milking her viewer base.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Heck i'm not even done high school and i'm already teaching my dad the basics of quantum computing, moore's law and such..

Do you even Candy Crush bro?

also his post was a joke

what i got from this:

adults gamers outnumber teenage gamers......  Where do they find the time? 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Do you even Candy Crush bro?

I've played flappy bird twice before I just changed my score to 2.1billion

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm a teenager and that comment is just stretched out to the point where I sorta have to disagree. A majority of teenagers by the time they finish grade 9 know a base line of what interests them and where they want to go in live. Like for example me, by the end of my first year of high school (grade 8 here) I knew completely where I wanted to go in the future and many others I know are doing the same. Heck i'm not even done high school and i'm already teaching my dad the basics of quantum computing, moore's law and such.

OT: this topic isn't really "gaming" like I don't consider that kim kardashian game anything other than milking her viewer base.

righto chief...    was Le net humour.  ;)  :D  :lol:  :P  :(  :)  :o  :blink:  :ph34r: 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what i got from this:

adults gamers outnumber teenage gamers......  Where do they find the time? 

What I got from this was the demographic of 'adult female' has more persons than 'teenage boys'.

It's like saying in a group of more people, we found there to be more people.

Very interesting, does that mean going on XBOX live we'll soon hear less childish, racist & offensive comments?

I don't think so...

I had like 40 girls on my friends list at one stage lol more girls than guys....

Wait other than the term "teenage boys" is there any question about the age range of female adults? Because, there are a lot more 18/21+ year old females then there are 13-17 or 19 year old guys.

Computing enthusiast. 

Wait other than the term "teenage boys" is there any question about the age range of female adults? Because, there are a lot more 18/21+ year old females then there are 13-17 or 19 year old guys.

My old girl is almost 70 and she plays mahjongg so probably. 

Here's the stats for the age range (independent of gender)

under 18 (29%)

19-35 (32%)

36+ (39%)

And here's the cherry picked stat they think is important:

Women age 18 or older represent a significantly

greater portion of the game-playing population

(36%) than boys age 18 or younger (17%)

I'm pretty sure if they omit mobile games, the percentage of female gamers drop to 1%.