female adults outnumber teenage boys as largest gaming demographic

Joe_Easy

Remember, this includes mobile and facebook "games".

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Ah ma Gawd, now that all games are classed as "gaming" we've discovered through the magics of statistics that everybody plays games!

No Shit!

That's the first thing I thought when I read the headline.

"I am willing to bet that the vast majority of games in that study plays games mainly on their phone".

All this study confirms is that women play more mobile games and are more willing to pay micro transactions than men.

What the study/article fails to mention is that it is comparing apples to oranges. They are trying to make the free Facebook games with 1 dollar in app purchases sound the same as the 60 dollar AAA titles for PCs. The demographic for casual phone games, and the demographic for the more "hardcore" games is very different, but they lump the two together to make the statistics seem more news worthy and attention grabbing.

If they included Bingo and crosswords (which are game) in the statistics then I wouldn't be surprised if 50+ year old people would outnumber the amount of teenage boys as well. That doesn't mean that AAA PC gaming's core demographic is 50+ though.

Pointless statistics is pointless statistics.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I call bullshit, these aren't games, they're money makers.

Also, console gamers don't count either for the same reason.

#PCMASTERRACE

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

this is a friggen joke

they are talking about casuals not actual gamers

What the heck is an "actual gamer"?

Because a person doesn't play the games YOU deem worthy of being called a "real game", that makes them less of a gamer?

A gamer isn't about what games they play it's more about how much you play.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

What the heck is an "actual gamer"?

Because a person doesn't play the games YOU deem worthy of being called a "real game", that makes them less of a gamer?

A gamer isn't about what games they play it's more about how much you play.

casual games = playing games on ur ipad - web based games - etc you know not serious ones

real games = bf4 - CS - Dirt 3 or any console game  etc

when it comes to actual games females are a small percent

here is the definition and explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

casual games = playing games on ur ipad - web based games - etc you know not serious ones

real games = bf4 - CS - Dirt 3 or any console game  etc

when it comes to actual games females are a small percent

here is the definition and explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

Even if you play casual games you're still a gamer though if you play a lot.

For example, I play Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Battlefield, Titanfall, and Crysis, among other "real games" but I only play ~5 hours per week at most so I don't consider myself a gamer.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Even if you play casual games you're still a gamer though if you play a lot.

For example, I play Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Battlefield, Titanfall, and Crysis, among other "real games" but I only play ~5 hours per week at most so I don't consider myself a gamer.

yeah same issue here

i drive like ~2 hours a week but i dont consider my self a driver

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yay, they can play Candy Crush!

/s

But I really couldn't care less about these demographics. If they play a game, great. If they don't, great. I don't care. None of my business.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

yeah same issue here

i drive like ~2 hours a week but i dont consider my self a driver

If you wanted to make that analogy it would have to be in terms of "recreational driving" on sports tracks or recreational racing etc. or if you were driving as a profession you could call yourself a professional driver. Otherwise you are only a driver while you are behind the wheel.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were trying to be snarky in your reply.

There are loads of female gamers because they aren't playing proper games. There are still quite a few female gamers when you only consider proper games, but not as many as silly statistics like this try to show.

Depends on genre, a while back there were some statistics on MMORPGs, women made up 48% of the playerbase in a handful of games.

And then when it comes to space sims it's probably 0.1%.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If you wanted to make that analogy it would have to be in terms of "recreational driving" on sports tracks or recreational racing etc. or if you were driving as a profession you could call yourself a professional driver. Otherwise you are only a driver while you are behind the wheel.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were trying to be snarky in your reply.

:P

Depends on genre, a while back there were some statistics on MMORPGs, women made up 48% of the playerbase in a handful of games.

And then when it comes to space sims it's probably 0.1%.

Not to mention the demographic for The Sims was reportedly something like 50-60% female.

Mobile Games like Candy Crush and shit like that ain't real games. Just like statistics ain't real math :D

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

this.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Whenever a thread pops up like this, it always starts the war of "mobile" vs "games".

Mobile/Facebook gaming is a thing, but I do not associate it with "gaming" in general. Playing games on my cellphone while I'm on the toilet? I don't call that gaming and I doubt people who do that call themselves gamers either. You're just passing the time.

My aunt recently got a 3DS for her birthday and she has been playing non-stop ever since she got it. Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, etc. I consider her a gamer now, but playing on the phone? Nope.