LG to unveil curved 34" 21:9 monitor 34UC97, new 4K and gaming monitor (Updated w/pics and specs)

Notional

34UC97 34" Ultrawide 21:9 curved monitor

The 34" ultra wide monitor will be a high resolution 3440x1440 IPS panel, and sport and ultra thing besel.

I came. Buckets. Guess I know what I'll be spending my summer bonus on next year.

Is "gaming monitor" still slang for shitty TN?

Yes.

Why are "gaming" oriented monitors so goddamn fucking ugly?

Because the people who buy shitty TN "gaming" monitors for the minuscule latency gain generally don't have a shred of taste?

I mean... just look at everything else that is marketed towards gamers. 80% of that stuff, I would never buy, let alone admit to owning.

Too much is never enough.

any word on when the Curved Widescreen hits the market? i want it with all my heart <3

:( ........... and I bought the 34' 21:9 that isnt curved......to upgrade again or not to upgrade. Probably wont, I dont know how much of a difference it will be.

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |

Idk, as a happy user of a 34UM95...

I don't think resolutions are high enough for desktop monitors to need curved displays. I don't think anyone has a setup that has them sitting far enough away from the screen to really warrant a curved display. 3440x1440 is just enough to fill my peripheral vision - just barely, but just right. any more than that (like surround), then yes.

/shrug

That curved 1440P model is incredibly sexy. Would hit. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Now we need a curved 21:9 4k 144hz IPS monitor. 

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

dat 21:9 curved monitor yo 

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

fingers crossed fry's will have the curved monitor on display so I can try before I buy it.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

And... there goes my University savings! 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

i want this so much right now, the price is most likely going to be ridiculous though

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

That curved monitor looks sexy. Whether it will be price-competitive with AOC's offering is another story entirely. It does look like an improvement over the 34UM95 standwise, though.

The 4K monitor is interesting. Though I can't say much else besides that.

I'll wait on a proper review on the gaming monitor before judging, though, the use of Dynamic Action Sync makes me wonder if LG developed their own Adaptive Sync variation. Will likely pay no further heed if 1080p, though that has yet to be seen.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I'm legit considering buying the Curved 1440p model.  If it is priced around $900 and comes with a three year warranty.  I am buying it.

Might have to buy a 2nd GTX 780 sooner than later though.  I have heard that a single 780 is strong enough to power this monitor though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Updated with super high res product photos of ultra wide 34UC97 monitor, including back and sideview.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm legit considering buying the Curved 1440p model.  If it is priced around $900 and comes with a three year warranty.  I am buying it.

Might have to buy a 2nd GTX 780 sooner than later though.  I have heard that a single 780 is strong enough to power this monitor though.

NO WAY.

the only thing wrong with that 4k is it doesnt scale directly to 1080p, but i want that curved one so bad.

whut are you on about? 4k (3840x2160p) is exactly scalable to 1080p, where each 1080p pixel gets 4 pixels on a 4k panel...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

whut are you on about? 4k (3840x2160p) is exactly scalable to 1080p, where each 1080p pixel gets 4 pixels on a 4k panel...

The 4k monitor here is a Digital Cinema Initiative standard for 4k monitors, with a resolution of 4096 x 2160.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The 4k monitor here is a Digital Cinema Initiative standard for 4k monitors, with a resolution of 4096 x 2160.

ooh.... stupid then...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

What is the arc angle?  Anyone want to do the math on how many monitors it will take to complete a full circle?

An arc angle of 2pi/5 would be cool since you could setup a 5x1 surround setup that completes a full circle, and put yourself in the middle on a chair that can rotate all the way around. :)

I just purchased a LG 21:9 monitor. If this news came out earlier, I would have waited, but I have never seen a curved screen in action so I don't know how good will it be. I though curved screen is good for tn panel since it helps the edge of the screen from wash out

What is the arc angle?  Anyone want to do the math on how many monitors it will take to complete a full circle?

An arc angle of 2pi/5 would be cool since you could setup a 5x1 surround setup that completes a full circle, and put yourself in the middle on a chair that can rotate all the way around. :)

Just by eyeballing it:

So from this picture: http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/423c688fb30735b3fcaa6fa70fb10c75/200602496/lg-curved-monitor02.jpg

It seems that 3 monitors make up ~1pi/5 radians. So one monitor has an arc length of ~ 1pi/15 radians. Going back to the picture this seems about right as 3 monitors don't even make up a 1/4 of an entire circle, although this may not be true, because the picture was taken at an angle. If it were top down, then this would have been easy to estimate if via tracing out the arc of one monitor.

So what can we infer from this: 

It will take 30 monitors to make a full circle (2pi).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

looks like the sexy 21:9 curved one is already available in Japan.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Just by eyeballing it:

So from this picture: http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/423c688fb30735b3fcaa6fa70fb10c75/200602496/lg-curved-monitor02.jpg

It seems that 3 monitors make up ~1pi/5 radians. So one monitor has an arc length of ~ 1pi/15 radians. Going back to the picture this seems about right as 3 monitors don't even make up a 1/4 of an entire circle, although this may not be true, because the picture was taken at an angle. If it were top down, then this would have been easy to estimate if via tracing out the arc of one monitor.

So what can we infer from this: 

It will take 30 monitors to make a full circle (2pi).

Bonus credit: with those estimates and the diagonal size of the monitors, provide the radius of the circle made up by such a configuration.