LG to unveil curved 34" 21:9 monitor 34UC97, new 4K and gaming monitor (Updated w/pics and specs)

Notional

Bonus credit: with those estimates and the diagonal size of the monitors, provide the radius of the circle made up by such a configuration.

Unfortunately, that won't work, or at least be easily solvable or accurate. You'd have to use an optimization (calculus). The reason being that the diagonal screen size is curved, and the base of the monitor is also curved like a chord. The height though is still linear because it is essentially like solving for the height of a cylinder.

If you don't need that accuracy then here is some math:

The hypotenuse of the monitor (diagonal screen size) is 34 Inches. Given an 16:9 aspect ratio the two legs of the monitor: the height is 29.63 inches tall and the base is 16.67 inches wide. While we have those numbers in hand, the PPI of the monitor should roughly be ~129 ppi. 

Without using topology to turn our square into a circle, for argument's sake the perimeter of the entire circle is equal to 30 * 16.67 inches. We know this because 30 monitors would be needed to make an entire circle, and 16.67 inches was the derived length of the monitor. The perimeter of the circle is therefore about ~500.1 inches. 

Since we now know the perimeter we can use "C = pi*2r" where C is the circumference. Using that information we get r≈79.59 inches.

Note: this was in no way meant to be accurate. If you really wanted 360 degree monitor setup, it would most likely take up a bedroom. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Unfortunately, that won't work, or at least be easily solvable or accurate. You'd have to use an optimization (calculus). The reason being that the diagonal screen size is curved, and the base of the monitor is also curved like a chord. The height though is still linear because it is essentially like solving for the height of a cylinder.

The hypotenuse of the monitor (diagonal screen size) is 34 Inches. Given an 16:9 aspect ratio the two legs of the monitor: the height is 29.63 inches tall and the base is 16.67 inches wide. While we have those numbers in hand, the PPI of the monitor should roughly be ~129 ppi. 

Without using topology to turn our square into a circle, for argument's sake the perimeter of the entire circle is equal to 30 * 16.67 inches. We know this because 30 monitors would be needed to make an entire circle, and 16.67 inches was the derived length of the monitor. The perimeter of the circle is therefore about ~500.1 inches. 

Since we now know the perimeter we can use "C = pi*2r" where C is the circumference. Using that information we get r≈79.59 inches.

Note: this was in no way meant to be accurate. If you really wanted 360 degree monitor setup, it would most likely take up a bedroom. 

It doesn't appear that 80 inches is a good viewing distance to any one single monitor, so to make this setup more realistically usable, we would need more monitor curve.

It doesn't appear that 80 inches is a good viewing distance to any one single monitor, so to make this setup more realistically usable, we would need more monitor curve.

Yes, a lot more curve. For now, if you want a display that could display a 360 degree view: Oculus Rift is the only thing on the market that can do that. Plus it doesn't cost a fortune. 

1 Oculus Rift is cheaper than 30 4k curved monitors. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yes, a lot more curve. For now, if you want a display that could display a 360 degree view: Oculus Rift is the only thing on the market that can do that. Plus it doesn't cost a fortune. 

1 Oculus Rift is cheaper than 30 4k curved monitors. 

I considered getting a development kit just so I can work on some software called "Virtual Monitors".  So just like in real life, when you have 3 monitors on your desk, especially 24" or 27" and above, you have to move your head to look at the screens anyway.  With one single Oculus Rift, you can look in ALL directions and see a limitless amount of monitors.  I am not sure if it would be a strain to program with a Rift on your head 8 hours a day, but it'd be nice to have your very own 3 monitor, 6 monitor, or hell even a 50 monitor setup while you code. :)

imagine gaming on 3 of those curved monitors, then imagine your wallet exploding

Thanks for that!

I don't really care about curved displays but I find it weird that the day I get my 34um95-p is the day you post this.

Unfortunate that LG is yet to release a matching 27in. 1440p monitor to match the 21:9 for immersive gaming!

Why are "gaming" oriented monitors so goddamn fucking ugly?

Just ignore them and buy benqs then. That is what I do. RL and XL monitors look clean and professional although viewing angles suck ass.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

So I just found my new monitor...  This thing is beautiful!

I thought this was a 21:9 monitor not a 16:9.

How does that change your math?

I thought this was a 21:9 monitor not a 16:9.

How does that change your math?

Oh oops. I forgot about that. You sir get +1 Internet. 

Given a 21:9 aspect ratio, the horizontal size would be ~31.251 inches and the height will be ~13.393 inches. 

30*31.251 = 937.53 inches. This is our circumference (perimeter) of the circle.

So r≈149.21 inches.

So, a 360 monitor setup won't work effectively. 

I really wish there was a 16:9 1440p ips monitor with bezels as thing is the ones on the curved monitor.

If it's curved, does that technically mean its OLED?

If it's curved, does that technically mean its OLED?

No it's an AH-IPS panel. 

Both LG and Samsung introduced curved tv's, with their OLED, because they could. Then they found out, they could actually do it with LCD's as well. Pretty dumb on TV's, but might be really nice on ultra wide monitors.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Haha @ionbasa it's funny: I eyeballed it as 10 for a full circle (36 degrees per monitor). This was before we had more detailed pictures (just the three next to each other) or measurements, and I think it's even more true with more detailed pics (don't think 30 is too realistic).

By that estimation, I tried to figure out how practical a 3 monitor setup would be (and if it would fit on my desk).

My numbers:

-circumference: 340"

-radius: 54"

-chord length (edge to edge of 3 screens): 87.5"

And for practicality, I wanted to see how far the closest and farthest points would (relatively) be from my face.

The center of the middle screen would be 22.3" away (with my head being at the center of the chord between the edges), and the edge of the outer ones would be 44" away (from the same point). So almost twice the distance. 22" is ok, but 44" is a bit far for viewing an unscaled monitor of this resolution. Especially for text.

I highly doubt I'll buy 3, as they're 1100 euros (about $1430 USD). Also, this is a product they scale between markets, because the 34UM95 is $789 EUR and $1000 USD.

But then again, with my 1 Titan and 1 570, I could drive the center at 60Hz and the others at 50...

Anyways, back to reality. my guess is that it'll be $1400 USD. Quite a price jump from the already-insane $1000 of the 34UM95 (40%), however I may be able to scrape that much together and buy one (having a curved screen would definitely be more than 40% more badass than a flat one xD).

• 3 months later...

I am loving it cant wait the photo of the three displays is what i have just order of amazon cant wait for them to turn up :)

Now just got to work out if black or wight thunderbolts cables for them seen monitor in the flesh and fell in love so much i am retuning the 4k's when they turn up that i ordered from the same seller so its all good 

happy to change them over sorry to go on but it must be lol

lg-curved-monitor02.jpg

we need a ultimate soround 12K update then

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

wish i could run a 12k system but the setup cost would be fare to high 

my 12 core will run 3 of the lg screen at max res thats one of the main things that helped make my mind up about returning the 4k ones 

Wow, there really is something in the air with thread necroes today. :D

Anyway, locked due to that.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic