IBM cracks open a new era of computing with brain-like chip

Fulgrim

ibm-truenorth-synapse-chip-array-640x452

Scientists at IBM Research have created by far the most advanced neuromorphic (brain-like) computer chip to date. The chip, called TrueNorth, consists of 1 million programmable neurons and 256 million programmable synapses across 4096 individual neurosynaptic cores. Built on Samsung’s 28nm process and with a monstrous transistor count of 5.4 billion, this is one of the largest and most advanced computer chips ever made. Perhaps most importantly, though, TrueNorth is incredibly efficient: The chip consumes just 72 milliwatts at max load, which equates to around 400 billion synaptic operations per second per watt — or about 176,000 times more efficient than a modern CPU running the same brain-like workload, or 769 times more efficient than other state-of-the-art neuromorphic approaches. Yes, IBM is now a big step closer to building a brain on a chip.

The animal brain (which includes the human brain, of course), as you may have heard before, is by far the most efficient computer in the known universe. As you can see in the graph below, the human brain has a “clock speed” (neuron firing speed) measured in tens of hertz, and a total power consumption of around 20 watts. A modern silicon chip, despite having features that are almost on the same tiny scale as biological neurons and synapses, can consume thousands or millions times more energy to perform the same task as a human brain. As we move towards more advanced areas of computing, such as artificial general intelligence and big data analysis — areas that IBM just happens to be deeply involved with — it would really help if we had a silicon chip that was capable of brain-like efficiency.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Can it run Crysis? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Neat, that's some incredible performance from it, but it depends what application they use it for. Now all we need is to create the six million dollar man. Or Jarvis. I vote Jarvis, so long as I can have an iron man suit.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Neat, that's some incredible performance from it, but it depends what application they use it for. Now all we need is to create the six million dollar man. Or Jarvis. I vote Jarvis, so long as I can have an iron man suit.

It's to create a deep neural network, I doesn't function like a normal computer.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

so its as smart as a cockroach but still that great

early baby steps

anyways if they overclocked it

it would save them for making larger chips ,no ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It has 28 nm 5.4 bilion transistors. how the hell it consumes 12451326 less power then my 22 nm i7 which has 1.4 billion transistors

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I have to overclock my brain brb

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It has 28 nm 5.4 bilion transistors. how the hell it consumes 12451326 less power then my 22 nm i7 which has 1.4 billion transistors

Low clock rate and severely reduced instruction set. No overclocking, no internal execution security. There's no bloat hardware.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is pretty awesome

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Sounds cool , But here's something experts have to say, Human brain is far more advanced than a processor chip it doesn't think in binary , it's way too complex for even the best scientist to understand hard to replicate as it evolves & changes, not just a stagnant byproduct from a factory , altho this might process things on an analytical pattern , taking every probability into account & calculating them & shortening the processing time by having faster clock speeds or processing power it might replicate quicker response, But, nothing can be matched to the intelligence of human brain's way thinking , it's complex & versatile it might sound similar but it's just a huge a processing chip at the end nevertheless,

Calling it brain is somewhat far fetched , even if AI is present , it goes through same pattern,

Details separate people.

But can it overclock and be relevant to us?

So our brains are clocked at 20 EHz...

Reread the page. We perform at about 200 Exa Flops, but our neurons only fire at 200 Hz max.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Reread the page. We perform at about 200 Exa Flops, but our neurons only fire at 200 Hz max.

200 Hz max but they only are at 4 Hz (Normal everyday functions) through 13 Hz (Deep sleep), though if we could overclock them to be at even 50 Hz, or that 200 Hz max; just imagine how much smarter you'll be.

Future!~

very exciting 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I wonder how this will affect, if at all, the simulations of the brain? The most recent and successful project simulated something like 1% of 1 second of brain activity in 40 minutes, so maybe this will bring us closer? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

200 Hz max but they only are at 4 Hz (Normal everyday functions) through 13 Hz (Deep sleep), though if we could overclock them to be at even 50 Hz, or that 200 Hz max; just imagine how much smarter you'll be.

You probably would do maths faster but I wouldn't say you would be smarter in the sense

*You have more Memory

*Your Pathways are more efficient

If anything you would probably have massive headaches all the time due to the amount of energy your brain would be consuming.

But you probably would

*Do maths faster

*Think of solutions faster

*"Read" memory faster

*Have very little motion blur

But ideally you would get More neurons, more effecient pathways (They already are fairly effecient ) and have Faster neuron connections where its 2500m/s + rather than 150 or so m/s

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Sounds cool , But here's something experts have to say, Human brain is far more advanced than a processor chip it doesn't think in binary , it's way too complex for even the best scientist to understand hard to replicate as it evolves & changes, not just a stagnant byproduct from a factory , altho this might process things on an analytical pattern , taking every probability into account & calculating them & shortening the processing time by having faster clock speeds or processing power it might replicate quicker response, But, nothing can be matched to the intelligence of human brain's way thinking , it's complex & versatile it might sound similar but it's just a huge a processing chip at the end nevertheless,

Calling it brain is somewhat far fetched , even if AI is present , it goes through same pattern,

Actually, our brains do run in a sort of binary way. An impuls can either go or not go, but this 1/0 state can be affected by multiple other synapses. Very binary like, but not very computer like. 

Anyway it is cool and also somewhat scary that we are coming close to approaching the brain, because I think that on these chips you could also run low level AI's, since well you created a brain. I wonder how these machines are going to get used.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I don't know you so i will be kind to you :)

Just google neural network AI for example, and try to imagine .  We cannot recreate the brain , but we can mirror it with calculations. 

AI in games is using the dumb AI system based on behaviors, AI in robots kinda also, although few of them are using the neural network.

AI with neural network is really powerfull thing but you neeed many processing nodes (neural node) to process, for which this chip is build for.

Also neural network AI is mostly not used in robots/games but in pattern recognition and image processing , so basically with such huge power operating neural network this could be really great news for the cancer research e.c.t.

Can it run Crysis? 

no, it will be completely shit house with mathematical functions and possibly not able to carry out more than one task/process at a time,   but it will be exceptional with lateral problem solving and tasks that require adaptive non-defined resolution. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I wonder how this will affect, if at all, the simulations of the brain? The most recent and successful project simulated something like 1% of 1 second of brain activity in 40 minutes, so maybe this will bring us closer?

With Google Brain we simulated a full bee brain for several hours. Now with 2 Titan Z you can do the same thing.

With Google Brain we simulated a full bee brain for several hours. Now with 2 Titan Z you can do the same thing.

I knew the titan z's were good for something,  no one believed me but I said they'd be good for something... :blink: :ph34r:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow, I thought you'd written a really good article there until I clicked the source and saw that it was copy/pasted. :lol: