IBM cracks open a new era of computing with brain-like chip

Fulgrim

I knew the titan z's were good for something, no one believed me but I said they'd be good for something... :blink: :ph34r:

They're great for 1 thing and 1 thing only: having a workstation with great gaming capabilities. It has unlocked double precision, even though there's no ECC. It's a compute card that can game monstrously well. If you put an EK water block on it you can make it outpace the r9 295x2 pretty easily too, for double the cost lol.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They're great for 1 thing and 1 thing only: having a workstation with great gaming capabilities. It has unlocked double precision, even though there's no ECC. It's a compute card that can game monstrously well. If you put an EK water block on it you can make it outpace the r9 295x2 pretty easily too, for double the cost lol.

but...  but...   but you can simulate a bee brain....  that's super cool. .. B)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I wonder how this will affect, if at all, the simulations of the brain? The most recent and successful project simulated something like 1% of 1 second of brain activity in 40 minutes, so maybe this will bring us closer? 

And it required 82,944 processors, And requires 9.89 MW of power to function, the equivalent of 10,000 suburban homes  LOL and it simulated not full brain, but just neuronal network activity.

I think they could use NVIDIA CUDA technology and they would not have needed 82,944 CPUs

I think 50 000 TITAN Z can easily beat 82,944 cpus even if they are 10 core/20 thread that would be 1 658 880 threads and 50 000 TITAN Z is 288 000 000 cuda cores :o

we need supercomputer with 50 000 TITAN Z simulating human brain and it will be like fucking einstein

I have i7 3770 clocked at 4.3 GHZ and i have GTX 660 at 980 MHZ

I use linux and have software for rar archive cracking (brute force attack) and GXT 660 at 980 MHZ is almost 14 times faster then i7 3770 at 4.3 GHZ

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Sounds cool , But here's something experts have to say, Human brain is far more advanced than a processor chip it doesn't think in binary , it's way too complex for even the best scientist to understand hard to replicate as it evolves & changes, not just a stagnant byproduct from a factory , altho this might process things on an analytical pattern , taking every probability into account & calculating them & shortening the processing time by having faster clock speeds or processing power it might replicate quicker response, But, nothing can be matched to the intelligence of human brain's way thinking , it's complex & versatile it might sound similar but it's just a huge a processing chip at the end nevertheless,

Calling it brain is somewhat far fetched , even if AI is present , it goes through same pattern,

I wouldn't call the human brain "more advanced" over a processor chip. They're different architectures and are therefore better at different things. For instance, try to calculate 3,192 * 41,331 faster than a computer processor. Also, I think it's pretty outspoken to say that "nothing can be matched to the intelligence of the human brain's way of thinking." The entire point of neural networking (the architecture that this IBM processor is based on) is to emulate the thinking patterns of the human brain, and, because of shrinking transistor sizes and the advantages of inorganic processors (e.g. relying on fiber optics instead of neurons), eventually processors based on that architecture will be faster thinkers than their biological counterparts.

I wouldn't call the human brain "more advanced" over a processor chip. They're different architectures and are therefore better at different things. For instance, try to calculate 3,192 * 41,331 faster than a computer processor.

Well, i can because processor can't work without human. It can't think, no matter how fast it is. It will be limited by software, by soul of computer, because programmers can't write program that emulates human soul :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Well, i can because processor can't work without human. It can't think, no matter how fast it is. It will be limited by software, by soul of computer, because programmers can't write program that emulates human soul :)

Self-improving machine learning is already here. You're wrong. The soul is nothing. The ever-evolving mind is the only crux of this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There is no difference in behavior that separates a human from a sufficiently fast neural net-based processor. I don't care about the human "soul." That's such a vague term that it's essentially useless.

Now they just need to make one with a surface area of one square foot.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is wondering this will be used in research and with it's 'recognition and memory' will probably be used in military applications; such as national security and defense.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Bender-Takes-Photo-While-On-a-Tour-Bus-I

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

IBM still leading in crazy breakthroughs for the future lol 

Thought someone else would have taken over by now lol They really deserve more recognition and credit for there work people don't realize what they have done for the tech industry and future its self. 

(kinda sad some people think ibm just sold pre built pcs)

It has 28 nm 5.4 bilion transistors. how the hell it consumes 12451326 less power then my 22 nm i7 which has 1.4 billion transistors

Because science