FedEx Review - The Mad-King of Shipping

Gulrok

Profile, was wondering about your profile pic

Oh, it's a "prawn" from the film District 9, my all time favourite film, almost entirely for the lead actor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9

EDIT: I found the original picture I used to use instead of the darker one and switched to that. It's a bit clearer now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Oh, it's a "prawn" from the film District 9, my all time favourite film, almost entirely for the lead actor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9

Oh right, that movie was made in my country :)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Oh right, that movie was made in my country :)

I know, it also taught me how difficult it is to imitate a South African accent despite my best attempts.

But yeah, FedEx sounds like it sucks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Why do people still use FedEx, we all know they're crap.

except when you have "people"(family members) in the business and you know their taking care of your stuff :)

USPS for small packages, UPS for large packages. if it can fit in a flatrate USPS box, use that. if its to large, IE, a computer, use UPS. 

2-3 day shipping is amazing. got my used hd 7950 in 2 days. the box was immaculate, granted the flatrate box was pretty beat up. it looked as if it was brand new. that being said, if your package is larger then a flatrate box, USPS is not designed to handle that. they are designed to handle mail. which is 99.9% of their volume.

this is coming from a user of both, and someone who has been in back of 4 USPS locations, and spent a day in 2 shipping hubs. almost everything is automated and designed for flatrate and mail. so its amazing for that, but dont use it if you plan on any other size. 

I never ever ever ever ship computers. If I were moving across the country I would be hard pressed to ship my computer as a whole. I'd probably take the pci cards out and put them in my bag to take on the plane or something of that sort. It boggles my mind that FedEx does this, or any carrier for that matter. And I know FedEx doesn't do this, it's the poor bastard that gets paid $9.50 an hour that doesn't give a shit and rightfully so. Why should he? I guess If I were to ship a computer if take the graphics cards and cpu cooler out and put those in my checked bag. Everything else in the system should be fine to be dropped exept for the hard drives, but those things can take a beating (laptops are a perfect example of this). Then just reinstall the GPUs and cpu cooler when I get to where I'm going. Sorry to hear that your system got destroyed man. Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn I guess.

My thoughts exactly.

I also ordered something recently, they didn't ship the right parcel - Could of been a flop at the company I bought from or ... Fedex - Still pissed though, but hey what can you do, it's weekend, everyone's closed ****

That's by no means FedEx's fault :P

It shouldn't have mattered if I disassembled it or not. The package said fragile. It is was a vase or glass with the same label and padding / packaging it would have been shattered and in pieces. 

When glass is shipped it's heavily, heavily wrapped. To withstand such impacts.

Honestly, a computer isn't something you should trust a FedEx employee to pack. They're by no means experts in packing different things, and treat everything pretty much the same.

Also, at the end of the day, shit happens. It might have fallen off the top of another box in shipment in the back of the truck, in the plane if it hit turbulence, any number of things beyond FedEx's control. That's why they offer insurance, and why you're getting money out of the deal.

The claim process could have been easier, but by the sounds of it you got all the new employees. Such is a low paid, high turn over industry.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

fedex training video 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That really sucks man. I used to work at FedEx and I can assure you 80% of the workers are crap. The company as a whole isn't bad but many of the workers just throw shit around not caring about anything. They are complete idiots. I feel like if consequences were immediate termination for such behavior things would improve. And just so you know fragile doesn't mean a single thing. They are treated the same.

AMA I guess.

Each shipper has their own faults and it's mainly the drivers. You can't blame just FedEX. There are issues with DHL, UPS, FEDEX, everyone.

It's really just luck I suppose.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Never had an issue with any company that delivers packages tbh.  Had a few grumpy drivers before, but one of them had to deliver a 30 pound box to me with 1 foot of snow outside, can't blame him.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My thoughts exactly.

That's by no means FedEx's fault :P

When glass is shipped it's heavily, heavily wrapped. To withstand such impacts.

Honestly, a computer isn't something you should trust a FedEx employee to pack. They're by no means experts in packing different things, and treat everything pretty much the same.

Also, at the end of the day, shit happens. It might have fallen off the top of another box in shipment in the back of the truck, in the plane if it hit turbulence, any number of things beyond FedEx's control. That's why they offer insurance, and why you're getting money out of the deal.

The claim process could have been easier, but by the sounds of it you got all the new employees. Such is a low paid, high turn over industry.

It could be but it also couldn't be their fault, still though :ph34r: !

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

This is why employers should pay employees a living wage. When you are paid little, you simply don't have pride in your work. At the same time, it should be common sense not to ship a fully loaded expensive rig in one piece. Prebuilts use crappy hardware and stock cooling, not heavy components.

I took the FedEx package, and I threw it on the ground

you must think I'm a joke, I ain't gonna be part of your system

srsly tho, DPD is the best courier company in the world as far as I'm concerned

I threw the rest of the system to.

Yeah DPD is the best i think as well.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I threw the rest of the system to.

Yeah DPD is the best i think as well.

Getting that text in the morning letting me know what hour of the day they are coming really seals the deal there, scan computers service + DPD service = happy buying experience and that's one of the things I like most about living here in the UK.

Getting that text in the morning letting me know what hour of the day they are coming really seals the deal there, scan computers service + DPD service = happy buying experience and that's one of the things I like most about living here in the UK.

Yeah i ordered some ram from ariapc, it was in the morning, I get a text from them midday saying they can come in a few minutes, same day delivery thats crazy

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yeah i ordered some ram from ariapc, it was in the morning, I get a text from them midday saying they can come in a few minutes, same day delivery thats crazy

wow I've never had that, I know DPD are doing sunday delivery now but I've not looked at the prices yet (I get free shipping from Scan but not saturday delivery so I presume sunday will cost even more)

ariapc are good too I've ordered quite a few things from there, I normally check scan and aria before buying (novatech I've found unreliable and OCUK always seem a bit overpriced, and also charge £7 for delivery on every item which I think is a bit strong) and make a decision based on price, I've often found some great superspecials on Aria that's really a section to watch, just like scan's homepage only offers.

Come to think of it I may have got this CPU from an aria superspecial.

DHL Express followed by UPS Next AM are my choices. 

Pricey? Absolutely. But as much as UPS cocks up my deliveries by being late, they have yet to sship me (or send from me) a item that was damaged. 

DHL I don't always use to send, but I do receive and the driver and I have had chats for years because its always the same guy at the same time, every time. Some trust gets built there, and in 5 years of this I've only had major headaches out of Puro and FedEx. 

General rule of thumb is to either ship your PC as you got it or at least stripped down (remove expansion cards and tower heatsinks).

I've never shipped a PC because I bring mine on the plane. Even though its oversize for a carry-on, I've got away with bringing midtowers on planes multiple times.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Anyhow. I understand the "disassemble your pc" idea. I didn't ship it. I got it shipped to me. 

ANYHOW.

Talked to FedEx today. They promised to have it to my in Washington tomorrow! I said awesome! They gave me a tracking number, and bam it said it was in Oregon. No biggie. 

Checked the tracking later and it said it was in NJ. They shipped it to NJ back to the sender, even though I expressed to ship it back to me in Washington. Never once did I say " ship it back to NJ. " 

For the first time in two weeks was able to talk to the FedEx agent who was working on my claims case. Seriously. First time. I've called a lot, and always asked for him. 

Now they have to reroute it back to WA.

I am upset.

-- 

As for the reason to ship FedEx, my dad works for Lockheed Martin. They ship computers all over the country via FedEx, completely put together and all, with expansion cards and everything already inside of the computer. Never has he had an issue with damaged products or shipping mistakes / errors.

I had a computer.. and then I let FedEx ship it.

Where I live the order goes like this:

Large deliveries (Like pallets): ABF

Medium deliveries/boxes: Norco

Although Norco can be pricy, I have had them deliver granite tile samples, and still arrive in one piece. The great part is they have a fast shipping timeline, ie I can get something delivered in the same state within 1 day (overnight) and other states in less than 4 days (usually).

I try to avoid FedEx and UPS whenever possible, also if your shipping large things (pallets) do not use Old Dominion, I had theme deliver an oven once, and the thing was missing the handles and the aluminum panels were dented and dinged. The driver cussed me out when I wouldn't sign for the delivery, and the customer service was not helpful. PS: The driver left me the package even though I didn't sign for it. I then files a claim, got my $2000 back from Old Dominion, and Electrolux agreed to send out a service van and have my oven replaced free of charge.

All in all, I got my $2000 back, and got my oven for free.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Got a text message from my father this morning.

They still delivered it to him anyway. Even after they promised to reroute it.

They are scheduling for pickup tomorrow.

UGH.

REALLY FEDEX

REALLY?

Also they just left it on the front porch of my dad's house. It has my personal information in there, they know that! I told them I needed it back

soon because potentially identifying information was on the computer. No lets just leave it on the porch for any person to come take it. 

- UPS / FedEx --- same thing.

The most recent email follows:

Trevor,

I tried calling                , but it was ringing once and then going silent. I spoke with one of our senior agents in the department and I am afraid there is nothing I can do in terms of paying the shipping charges for you. It is our standard policy to have damaged packages returned to the shipper’s address. While we did attempt to have it delivered back to you, we do not guarantee that this will be successful.

What I would suggest is having your father contact FedEx customer service to request a call tag for the shipment. A FedEx Ground driver would then come to pick up the package and deliver it to you. Alternatively the package could be taken to a FedEx location to be shipped via FedEx Express as a new shipment.

I still have you setup to speak with a manager regarding this issue. It is not our standard practice to pay for new shipping charges and unfortunately I cannot offer it in this instance. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Cargo Claims Agent

Cargo Claims Department

Never got a phone call from the manager either. This email was from a few days ago.