GTX 880 and 870 to release in November 2014

Original article: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-geforce-gtx-870-and-gtx-880-available-in-november.html

Nvidia GeForce GTX 870 and GTX 880 available in November

I can write with pretty good indication that in the November 2014 we will see Nvidia launch their new GeForce GTX 870 and GTX 880 graphics cards. Last week at an Nvidia event a little birdie already whispered in my ears 'we'll see you again soon Hilbert'. More info from an external source however indicates that 28nm Maxwell based GPUs (indeed not 20nm) will be released within roughly three months time.

Photo's of an engineering board have already been seen two weeks ago. The GPU would be based on GM204 likely revision A1 initially. The engineering sample shown below shows codename 1421 GPU with a A1 stepping build in 2014 week 21 (19-25 May). The card seems to be holding 2x8 memory chips carrying likely 4 or 8 GB of graphics memory on a 256-bit memory bus. The power connectors are a bit shocking to say at the least, it has one 8-pin and two 6-pin PCIe PEG power headers. Though with engineering samples it not unusual to have extra connectors. The memory ICs from SK Hynix is tagged as H5GQ4H24MFR-R2C, these are 7000 MHz (effective data-rate) chips.

So, didn't Linus mention at last weeks WAN-show that Nvidia invited him to an event and that he wasn't allowed (or didn't even know) what it was about? Could this be the reason they invited a few people?

Of course, the blurred engineering sample is old news by now, but I didn't think that we would see an actual release in November this year. Are you disappointed that we will be stuck with 28nm for another generation? And what about the rumored 256bit bus, is it a smart move to go for maximum power efficiency or will it hurt high resolution performance?

I can't say for sure, but the way the edges on the first hynix chip in the last pic are distorted looks like a shit doctoring job. Or the robot printing the pcb is an alcoholic and had shaky nozzles. Not to mention the terrible use of clone stamp on the chip.

Also, theres no way the PCIe PEGs are on that board, they're on the wrong side, lol.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Well, they are hardly going to release a product that performs the same or worse than what already exists.  I don't really care what size the die is or whether it is 28nm or smaller, so long as the end unit price is scaled to performance and the flow on effect of last gen card pricing drops proportionately I am happy. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nvidia and their low memory buses... disappointed.

This was my concern as well. We'll have to see if it's true and how they actually perform, but if they really disregard high res gaming performance for maximum power efficiency and lower costs then I'm not going to upgrade and rather go with AMD and their next generation (whenever that is coming out).

Nvidia and their low memory buses... disappointed.

This was my concern as well. We'll have to see if it's true and how they actually perform, but if they really disregard high res gaming performance for maximum power efficiency and lower costs then I'm not going to upgrade and rather go with AMD and their next generation (whenever that is coming out).

Larger GPU cache meaning memory won't be need be accessed in large quantities  

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

That's what i'm hoping for, as I said we'll have to wait and see how they actually perform.

linus was invited to be shown tegra K1, and the new shield 2 tablet probably.

about the 870/880, i doubt they will have better perf, or even that efficient, the changes wouldn't be that interesting i think, 28nm they can make a little less power hungry and shift that to better clock or something like that.

but i certainly dont expect any noticable jump, unless they increase the size of the chip even more, which is already huge, or just simple rebranding with cheaper cost.

perf jump will come next year, and we are stuck with rebranding, or clock boost this year also on both AMD and Nvidia, even with new architecture tonga and maxwell.

I would like to see Linus do a video on how much VRAM a 750 Ti (Maxwell) can access compared to a 650 Ti (Kepler)

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

im sure this will just be another paper launch in november and nobody with have cards in hand until january and aftermarket until even later 

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

This isn't going to happen.
The memory bandwith would be way to low.
There is no way Nvidia would downgrade the memory bandwith.

RTX2070OC 

The 28 nm is a bummer, but the 256 bit interface is not that bad because of the way nvidia designed their l2 cache, AMD does not have the l2 cache unified, so in theory yes the bandwidth is better on the AMD's design, but it is more complicated to work with and access every controller the card has, the more controller you have you have more latency. that is why Nvidia can get away with the lower bus design, as long as the performance is there i don't really care, i would love to see a bigger bus on the 880 and 870, i might go for that or maybe skip one more generation to see what's up.

Not only that i want to see AMD make a kickass card so nvidia can actually get scared this year, and i really want to see what will the ARM processor do on the nvidia cards, this might actually be interesting again xD

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Essentially echoing @mr moose here with his statement.

I'm very tempted to move to an 880 GTX but will wait for performance figures.  If it's not a big deal then I'll wait for the Ti edition.

And what about Cuda cores? None SAYS anything about CUda cores? Where is Cuda cores?

Cmon Nvidia! CUDA CORES!

Anyways When will the GTX 880 ti be released?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I can't say for sure, but the way the edges on the first hynix chip in the last pic are distorted looks like a shit doctoring job. Or the robot printing the pcb is an alcoholic and had shaky nozzles. Not to mention the terrible use of clone stamp on the chip.

Also, theres no way the PCI PEGs are on that board, they're on the wrong side, lol.

I just imagined that robot lol.

If I see that image again I'm going to track down the person who created it.

Reading this: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/

Yes WCCF is not te best source but they sometimes are right especially when other sources says the same

This is a quote fromt he site: "Now since reports indicate that Nvidia has completely scrapped the GM100 chips, we are looking at second generation Maxwell Architecture."

So WCCF means that there will be no Second Gen Maxwell?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

If it happens: Neat.
If it doesn't: K.

I'm feeling pretty neutral with the 800 series. Gonna wait and see how the final product performs before taking a stance on it.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Let's hope we get huge performance boosts with this....-sigh-

Meh I'd rather go with better power consumption IMO. We need more single slots.

I NEED SINGLE SLOTS. WHERE THE HELL ARE MY SINGLE SLOTS.

Project Restomod (In progress)

I already told everyone this but nobody believes me.

Yes, but you had no confirmation whatsoever, you were purely basing your theory upon rumours and not solid facts.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

let's see if AMD can win this generation, so that Nvidia comes out of it's comfort zone and make a super card

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P