Why is consumer paying shipping for warranty repairs in Canada?

I purchased an MSI laptop from Costco 5 months ago and was hoping it could be repaired. The return process involves me paying for the shipping, which is the first time I have encountered this; none of Samsung, Lenovo, or HP do this (Lenovo even offers global repair and shipping for some lines). Additionally, the repair length is estimated to be a month, which seems pretty absurd. Why do I have to pay for shipping for a service that is supposed to be warranted just to have it in the shop for 3 weeks? I even checked with the Canada Goods of Sales Act, and apparently there is no mention of shipping cost on warranty so I guess MSI can get away with this.

I also talked with Costco, which is supposed to handle repairs for the second year of the product's life. They told me their shipping and repair services are free, but I can only bring it in after 12 months because that is their policy.

Is paying for repair shipping common in your area? Are there other brands that require shipping? Share them and maybe help others think twice before buying them.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 164821.png

16 minutes ago, Project-ReD said:

Is paying for repair shipping common in your area? Are there other brands that require shipping? Share them and maybe help others think twice before buying them.

I live in the US. But have paid for shipping with a Acer monitor. A Cyber Power UPS. I did get free shipping with a WD Hard disk but that was back in the PATA days so It could have changed. By pay for shipping I mean to the manufacture they always covered the cost of shipping it back to me.

I do recall back in the day my sister had a Dell Laptop that Dell actually sent someone to her home to repair. Not sure if they still offer that service.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I live in the US. But have paid for shipping with a Acer monitor. A Cyber Power UPS. I did get free shipping with a WD Hard disk but that was back in the PATA days so It could have changed. By pay for shipping I mean to the manufacture they always covered the cost of shipping it back to me.

I do recall back in the day my sister had a Dell Laptop that Dell actually sent someone to her home to repair. Not sure if they still offer that service.

I've had to pay for shipping in the UK too with some manufacturers, its entirely down to their discretion.

ASUS B650E-F GAMING WIFI + R7 7800X3D + 2x Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30-36-36-76  + ASUS RTX 4090 TUF Gaming OC

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) Backup: GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~1200Mbit down, 115Mbit up, variable)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Germany here. 90% of the time the seller pays for shipping. Just recently had a RMA with G.Skill and had to pay shipping to their RMA center. Didn't have to pay for the replacement shipping to me though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

it's like this almost everywhere its just that people are so used to free returns from Amazon now that they think this is the rule...

as per law, costumer brings in defective items on their cost and seller or manufacturer (depending on laws) pays for "repairs"... which typically just means replacement since we live in a throwaway society. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/18/2024 at 12:59 PM, Stahlmann said:

Germany here. 90% of the time the seller pays for shipping. Just recently had a RMA with G.Skill and had to pay shipping to their RMA center. Didn't have to pay for the replacement shipping to me though.

yeah. because that's precisely how it is described in german laws. 

On 6/15/2024 at 1:49 AM, Project-ReD said:

I purchased an MSI laptop from Costco 5 months ago and was hoping it could be repaired. The return process involves me paying for the shipping, which is the first time I have encountered this; none of Samsung, Lenovo, or HP do this (Lenovo even offers global repair and shipping for some lines). Additionally, the repair length is estimated to be a month, which seems pretty absurd. Why do I have to pay for shipping for a service that is supposed to be warranted just to have it in the shop for 3 weeks? I even checked with the Canada Goods of Sales Act, and apparently there is no mention of shipping cost on warranty so I guess MSI can get away with this.

I also talked with Costco, which is supposed to handle repairs for the second year of the product's life. They told me their shipping and repair services are free, but I can only bring it in after 12 months because that is their policy.

nothing unusual here at all, if you want free shipping you need to clear that up *before* you buy... but note that you're probably indirectly paying anyway due to higher prices for such arrangements, typically. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I am too Nordic for this topic probably. Like can't you just take your thing to the store you bought it and they handle the whole warranty mumbo jumbo dance thing with the manufacturer? 😄

And that's Finnish consumer law in nutshell. The retailer, the one who sold the product to the consumer, is the one with the error liability (warranty but Finnish consumer rights do not include word warranty, it's accountability for error in product or service for certain part of it's expected lifetime in normal use for it). "Warranty" is pretty much only used when considering the expected lifetime of the product, 2 year warranty means the manufacturer clearly means the product should work without problems for 2 years at least.

Either way I have never needed to pay a single cent for customer returns and only couple of times actually needed to send something somewhere and usually even then I have had the package it came in still around and send it just as "customer return" (for free). Most of the time I have just returned it to the store and they have handled everything from that point on, if it's been clear thing, new product from the shelf and that's it, if it's repair they send it there and handle all that. Me needing to go to post office to send the thing for repairs somewhere, I might actually need to ask for compensation for worktime losses and travel expenses (which in some cases the retailers have needed to pay) 😀

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

I am too Nordic for this topic probably. Like can't you just take your thing to the store you bought it and they handle the whole warranty mumbo jumbo dance thing with the manufacturer? 😄

And that's Finnish consumer law in nutshell. The retailer, the one who sold the product to the consumer, is the one with the error liability (warranty but Finnish consumer rights do not include word warranty, it's accountability for error in product or service for certain part of it's expected lifetime in normal use for it). "Warranty" is pretty much only used when considering the expected lifetime of the product, 2 year warranty means the manufacturer clearly means the product should work without problems for 2 years at least.

Either way I have never needed to pay a single cent for customer returns and only couple of times actually needed to send something somewhere and usually even then I have had the package it came in still around and send it just as "customer return" (for free). Most of the time I have just returned it to the store and they have handled everything from that point on, if it's been clear thing, new product from the shelf and that's it, if it's repair they send it there and handle all that. Me needing to go to post office to send the thing for repairs somewhere, I might actually need to ask for compensation for worktime losses and travel expenses (which in some cases the retailers have needed to pay) 😀

You are still paying for it in the average cost of consumer electronics. You mentioned Nordic countries. I’d be curious to see near-identical laptop prices there vs the US.

1 hour ago, Echothedolpin said:

You are still paying for it in the average cost of consumer electronics. You mentioned Nordic countries. I’d be curious to see near-identical laptop prices there vs the US.

Privewise it's not that big gap when you consider our prices already include all the taxes. LIke from Newegg ASUS ROG Zephyrus G16 GU605MI is $2399, same laptop but instead of 16GB RAM has 32GB RAM is $3222 (2999€), that $3222 already includes 24% VAT which I think the $2399 lacks so it would turn out to be $2974 with the 24% VAT, $250-around difference with double the RAM so spitting distance. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo GX650PY-XS97 is $4629 in Newegg while Gigantti in Finland sells it for $5585 (5199€), again add the 24% VAT to the Newegg price and it's $5739, so that one turns out to be more expensive in the US.

Asus TUF OC Edition RTX 4090 in Newegg on sale for $1739, Jimm's in Finland sells it for $2355 (2191€), again add the 24% VAT to the Newegg price and it's $2156, $200 difference.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D at Newegg on sale for $339, Verkkokauppa.com in Finland $462 (430€), add the 24% VAT and it's $420 on sale vs. that $462. Without sale it's apparently $449 so we don't even need to add the taxes.

A lot of things seem to be more expensive on the first look but then you add the taxes in and it's not that huge difference. There's often some extra on the price but if it's like couple hundred in 2000 price range, it's fine for that I don't need to worry about how the ASUS support decides to work today, the next week, the next year, but go into the store "it's broken, fix it" and the store then can deal with ASUS (that's well worth the couple hundred).

It's surprising how little the better consumer protection costs when it's just been done that way for decades and there's watchdog which will bark if something seems to go sideways. Something like the US "unlimited data plans" where the unlimited means unlimited on 56K modem speed and like 50GB on the advertised 300Mbit/s speed didn't go through here at all and we pay like 22€/month for 200Mbit/s 4G mobile plan with truly unlimited data (that's 200Mbit/s at that price no matter if I even manage to pull the 64TB theoretical maximum from the net in that month), hell, my plan even includes 37GB of data anywhere in EU so I can travel without paying a cent extra (except if I go over that 37GB).

Same as binding phones into the carrier contracts didn't fly here and you can buy your phone on monthly pays from carrier if you wish so and while it isn't free like in the states, but if you pay like 32€/month for the phone plan (5G 300Mbit/s everything truly unlimited) and 40€/month (for 36 months after which the phone is yours and you can even change the carrier at any time) for iPhone 15 Pro Max, it's not that expensive compared to the data plan prices in the states I have heard of.

And those prices also already include the 24% VAT.

The point I’m making is you’re spending 20-25% more (or much greater as I’m seeing a similar model shipped in the US for 1900$)

Im not trying to argue about which country is better or whose laws are better. Just pointing out that you still pay for it, only difference is you’re paying up front. It’s not ‘free.’

8 hours ago, Echothedolpin said:

The point I’m making is you’re spending 20-25% more (or much greater as I’m seeing a similar model shipped in the US for 1900$)

Im not trying to argue about which country is better or whose laws are better. Just pointing out that you still pay for it, only difference is you’re paying up front. It’s not ‘free.’

Did you add US vat to that calculation? 

Edit: More relevantly, did you remove the 24% finnish VAT

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

9 hours ago, Echothedolpin said:

Retailers targeting consumers in EU countries must list their prices including sales tax. In most cases, electronics are cheaper in Germany than in the US because the MSRP already includes tax, while in the US you have to add tax on top of the MSRP.

For example, a $300 US MSRP would be €300 including tax (19%) in Germany, or €252,10 without tax.

The same $300 MSRP would be $318.75 with tax (6.25%) in Texas, or $300 without tax.

And since the exchange rate is slightly favorable to EUR (1€ = $1.07), our prices are actually quite a bit lower comparatively.

But like the individual US states, most EU countries have different tax rates, and some EU countries have worse pricing in general, so the actual amount you pay will vary. But here in Germany we generally pay less than US customers for the same electronics.

In B2B transactions, the prices shown usually don't include taxes, so it's similar to the US.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 6/15/2024 at 1:49 AM, Project-ReD said:

In Denmark, it's seller (typically the retailer or e-tailer) that covers the cost for an RMA. 

If the RMA gets rejected they sometimes reserve the right to charge a service fee, but if the RMA is valid its all on the seller. As it should be, IMO. They sold a faulty product, its their responsibility to service and replace it.

Unspecified returns within the return window depends on the e-tailers policies. Some cover it, others doesn't.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Did you add US vat to that calculation? 

We dont have VAT. We have sales tax and that percentage varies state to state. 5 states dont have sales tax. In some cases when you buy stuff online the retailer might not collect sales tax and you are suppose to report it on your tax return, but.......... some people "forget", by some I mean all.

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

We dont have VAT. We have sales tax and that percentage varies state to state. 5 states dont have sales tax. In some cases when you buy stuff online the retailer might not collect sales tax and you are suppose to report it on your tax return, but.......... some people "forget", by some I mean all.

Sales tax then 🙂 it doesn't really change my question much. 

Just now, DeerDK said:

Sales tax then 🙂 it doesn't really change my question much. 

Like I said, 5 states have no tax and the rate differs state to state. Hell even county and local governments can add their own sales tax. Where I live its 6%.

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Like I said, 5 states have no tax and the rate differs state to state. Hell even county and local governments can add their own sales tax. Where I live its 6%.

okay. 

My point was that if one talks about price difference they have to account for the 24% salestax or vat in Finland. And i wasn't sure if Echothedolpin had done that.