Xbox One vs. PS4 Resolution: Microsoft Challenges You To Spot The Differences on TV Smaller Than 60"

ACatWithThumbs

ms-logo-site-share.png
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-vs-ps4-resolution-microsoft-challenges-yo/1100-6421047/

Microsofts UK marketing executive Harvey Eagle had this to say about the Ps4 vs XboxOne graphics debate: 

Quote:
If you put third-party games side-by-side that are running at slightly different resolutions or frame rates, then unless you are using a screen that's more than 60 inches big, I defy you to really see the difference," Eagle told CVG. "I personally struggle to see the difference."

"I think it's a perception challenge, absolutely," Eagle said. "It's important, certainly. It's something the media has certainly picked up on. If that leads to the perception that one machine is more powerful than another, then it's important, and we're trying to allow developers to bring games to Xbox One at the highest resolution and frame rate as possible."

So what he's basically saying is that you can't see the difference between 720p to 1080p or 30fps to 60fps on a TV smaller than 60 inches.

Here is a list that compares the resolutions and fps of XboxOne and Ps4 games:'
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

double_facepalm.jpg 

I think Linus has some great video to proves him wrong:

RTX2070OC 

Well, it's not entirely wrong. At a certain distance you can't really tell 720p and 1080p apart (quality wise).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So did all the higher ups in the companies in the tech related word decide to see who can do the dumbest shit this year? EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft etc. Seems like everytime I look I'm seeing something some high up said which is so ludicrous he had to be living under a rock with his head so far up his ass he can't believe anything other than his own opinion.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

I think its more of 720P with higher settings vs 1080P with lower settings? because i doubt ps4 and xbone are identical besides resolution. 

FPS you can always tell the difference. and excuse me, do you know how many tvs are inches or bigger now? the only excuse now for a smaller one is room size, and in that case you sit closer to the tv. sooooo.

that being said, if you really cant tell the difference, dont worry about it. theres some games i turn down shadow quailty to get higher FPS, because Ill focus on the shadows and not see the diffrence. things like that. 

So did all the higher ups in the companies in the tech related word decide to see who can do the dumbest shit this year? EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft etc. Seems like everytime I look I'm seeing something some high up said which is so ludicrous he had to be living under a rock with his head so far up his ass he can't believe anything other than his own opinion.

what did sony do?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

what did sony do?

"Experience watch dogs in a way only the PS4 can deliver, at 1080p 60FPS"

Seems like everytime I look I'm seeing something some high up said which is so ludicrous he had to be living under a rock with his head so far up his ass he can't believe anything other than his own opinion.

Yeah well this doesn't excuse the fact that your console is inferior to the PS4, which is inferior to the Master Race PC. But seriously the PS4 is just better, and Microsoft just wants to justify their $400 mess up.

Project Restomod (In progress)

Oh, come on..... 720p on a 1080p screen will look blurry, period. Interpolation just ruins the image quality in my opinion, that's why games should always run on a native resolution first before I dial up any settings. Also, it's just an incredibly stupid argument: "Oh, our competition delivers better performance. Well, erm, oh...... You wouldn't notice the difference anyway so shut up and buy our product!" Seriously, there is no excuse to struggle with 1080p/60fps in this day and age. They should either admit that (seriously, I would be fine with the current gen consoles if they would simply admit that they're not powerful enough for certain things) or implement better hardware in their products.

This is pretty stupid, it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between 720p and 1080p, try it your self, open up a game on PC, and switch between the resolutions, there's a massive difference, that's why the game runs at a far better fps average when ran on 720p. MS are just trying to cover up their mistakes made when skimping out on better parts for their console, 720/900p is not good enough for 2014, and they should honestly be ashamed. 

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

At microsoft we see true believers in the famous quote: "fps is just a number".

By the way, someone should really upgrade his 144p tv to something closer to 1080p. Otherwise, pretty soon he will be saying that the ps1 and original xbox also look indistinguishable from next gen consoles.

So what he's basically saying is that you can't see the difference between 720p to 1080p or 30fps to 60fps on a TV smaller than 60 inches.

No no no, he did not say that. he said slightly different frame rates and resolutions. I am pretty sure that plenty of xbone games run and higher than 720p, just not 1080p. and as for frame rates, some of them are between 60 and 30 i think. Also, the average user wont be able to tell the difference. Linus' job is computers, its what he does all day, no wonder he can tell the difference.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

While what he says is true he is using this to "prove" Xbone is not underpowered compared to PS4. It is. This isn't like the previous generation where one side used PowerPC and the other Cell therefore comparisons weren't easy. This time they are both x86 and the one with the higher numbers is naturally more powerful.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

His statement is partially true, from certain distances, you will no longer be able to tell the difference in resolution. For example, try telling the difference between 720p and 1080p standing 10 feet away from the screen. 10' is also probably the typical distance between a TV and couch for a console. Whereas with PC gaming you usually 12-18" from the screen so telling the difference in resolution is easier.

Also, I am not saying resolution doesn't matter. I'm only saying from certain combinations of screen size and viewing distance you cannot tell the difference.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

While what he says is true he is using this to "prove" Xbone is not underpowered compared to PS4. It is. This isn't like the previous generation where one side used PowerPC and the other Cell therefore comparisons weren't easy. This time they are both x86 and the one with the higher numbers is naturally more powerful.

I think they really regret choosing x86, they should have choosen some obscure platform and modified it even more :P . Because as it stands right now we can tell very easily that the PS4, for example, uses a modified 7850. Of course it performs better due to very specific optimization, but we can easily see what they deliver right now and predict what their limitations are. The excuse that "developers still need to get used to the new system, we've just seen 50% of the actual power!" also doesn't work anymore.

He didn't say anything about not being able to tell the difference between framerates. He talked about resolution, which is true, from certain distances, you will no longer be able to tell the difference in resolution. For example, try telling the difference between 720p and 1080p standing 10 feet away from the screen. 10' is also probably the typical distance between a TV and couch for a console. Whereas with PC gaming you usually 12-18" from the screen so telling the difference in resolution is easier.

Also, I am not saying resolution doesn't matter. I'm only saying from certain combinations of screen size and viewing distance you cannot tell the difference.

My PC is hooked up to a 32" TV and I can clearly see the difference between 720p/900p/1080p or 30fps/60fps.

We are talking here around 40-60ppi on a 32" TV that is extremely low in comparison phones have between 250-500ppi.

You can also see the difference between 1080p/1440p/4k and even 8K on TVs bigger than 32".

And he mentions frame rate.

quote :

resolutions or frame rates

RTX2070OC 

I came here to post this very article. I sense this is WAN show material, completely ridiculous statement from MS once again.

HOSTNAME: VERA | OS: Win10 | CASE: NZXT H440 | CPU: i7 8700K | GPU: EVGA  GTX1080 FTW | MEMORY: 2x8GB Team Group 8pack edition 3200MHz 14-14-14-31 | PSU: Seasonic P1000 | SSD: Vertex 4 512GB, 2 x SanDisk Ultra 2 960GB | HDD: 8TB total | DISPLAY: Acer Predator 1080p 144 Hz G Sync + Acer 27" 1080p | MOBO: Asus Prime-P | KEYBOARD, MOUSE AND PAD: Ducky Shine 5, Corsair M65 Pro and Razer Sabertooth | AUDIO: ASUS Xonar Phoebus, Corsair SP2500, AKG Q701 + ModMic, Audio Technica ATH-M50x | COOLER: Corsair H100i

I don't think they understand just how disappointed their customers are.  They just to admit that they made a shit product and try to fix it instead of trying to bullshit us into buying it anyway.  

With Resolution I'd have trouble seeing the difference but I would be able to tell different framerates if its 30 vs 60 (i'd have trouble with 40-60 tho). Just me personally on a 50"+ TV about 10ft away.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Well, it's not entirely wrong. At a certain distance you can't really tell 720p and 1080p apart (quality wise).

Except for those moments when telephone lines or chain-link fences are rendered at a far in-game distance while the camera is moving, causing a fluttery mess of aliasing.

That's right sir, resolution really does matter a lot more than judging whether or not a single pixel from 10 feet is either a 720p sized pixel or 1080p sized pixel on a screen that's the same size.

Ok fine Microsoft, just send my the free test units to my home address and I'll make a video about it I'll also compare the two with my 7850k if that's alright with you.

microsofts right from a mile away the both look like crap

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

Meanwhile on pc....

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

ITT people thinking the difference on a monitor is the same as a difference on a TV

If it's not an issue when why are they talking about it?