MKBHD Checks out the Sapphire Glass for the iPhone 6

BallGum

Here is the link:

Frankly, this is great news for me. While I iOS isn't for me (the iOS 8 version might change that), the sheer durability of the sapphire glass is awesome. Not only did it withstand the bending, it withstood the stabbing.

If someone comes up to me with a knife I'd feel safe knowing I had the iPhone 6 with me. Another thing to consider is the fact that it is larger. That means it's going to protect a larger section of my body against knives, possibly bullets, as well. : P

MKBHD mentions how clear and thin the material was as well. From what I know, they're going to be integrating the touch technology / magic into the sapphire glass itself, which should help with keeping the device thing. What I felt he missed was how slim the bezels seemed to be in comparison to the iPhone 6 dummy model he was looking at earlier. It looks a lot smarter.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Pretty interesting, but I'd like to see the price of a phone with one included.

Damn thats thin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Impressive, Apple are no strangers to leading with quality of exterior materials ironically except the glass on phones, which seems to shatter easily, hopefully this will change that.

I was cringing when he was bending it with his shoe/foot and hand - waiting for it to snap.

Honestly it looks and acts like plastic to me. They should just make scratch resistant plastic. I remember when I had plastic capacitive touchscreens on phones like my old Optimus One, which was, well, unshatterable because it wasn't any sort of glass whatsoever. It was just plastic. We should just go back to that rather then having budget phones having physical but cheap glass that's therefore very easy to scratch and shatter

"Rawr XD"

Honestly it looks and acts like plastic to me. They should just make scratch resistant plastic. I remember when I had plastic capacitive touchscreens on phones like my old Optimus One, which was, well, unshatterable because it wasn't any sort of glass whatsoever. 

I believe the display on the nexus 7 is plastic, and when I put pressure on the device, it does give, and also has some colour distortion. Also, I doubt it's really easy to 'just make scratch resistant plastic'.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Honestly it looks and acts like plastic to me. They should just make scratch resistant plastic. I remember when I had plastic capacitive touchscreens on phones like my old Optimus One, which was, well, unshatterable because it wasn't any sort of glass whatsoever. It was just plastic. We should just go back to that rather then having budget phones having physical but cheap glass that's therefore very easy to scratch and shatter

ಠ_ಠ

I like that peace of glass,.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I love the slim bezel 

Do you have a fat hand?  It might not work out well.  I notice it hard to touch things on my HTC One, and I don't even have a fat hand.

Noice. Very noice.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

It's not plastic it's actually out of sapphire which is the hardest natural materials known.

So it's pretty much impossible to scratch it with anything out of metal,plastic or concrete.

Unless you make a screen out of diamond or graphene it won't get better than this.

RTX2070OC 

I believe the display on the nexus 7 is plastic, and when I put pressure on the device, it does give, and also has some colour distortion. Also, I doubt it's really easy to 'just make scratch resistant plastic'.

No, both generations are Gorilla Glass.

"Rawr XD"

Pretty cool, I've been in favor of sapphire glass screens since Ubuntu tried to crowd fund a phone with it. With any luck this will become the new standard for all smart phones.

A bit off topic, but holy shit that 4K video quality. Even when downsampling on to a 1080P monitor it looks amazing. *drools*

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

If someone comes up to me with a knife I'd feel safe knowing I had the iPhone 6 with me. Another thing to consider is the fact that it is larger. That means it's going to protect a larger section of my body against knives, possibly bullets, as well. : P

wat

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

It's not plastic it's actually out of sapphire which is one of the hardest natural materials known.

Fixed for you, before someone comes and says

DIAMOND

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd still wait for Colorware to come up with custom colour solutions for the iPhone 6.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Still waiting on tests showing how it handles a great force applied to a concentrated point.

That's what I'd like to see improvements in since that's what shatters screens. I doubt many screens have been broken because the phone got bent too much (would destroy other components first).

We have already seen people do things like hammer in a nail, cut with knives etc on Gorilla Glass before. Gorilla Glass is also very very transparent so that won't really make a difference.

I thought the screen size was more interesting. More evidence that Apple will in fact increase the screen size. A much needed upgrade if you ask me.

Fixed for you, before someone comes and says

DIAMOND

Diamond is actually a natural mineral. Not that great for making screens out of though.

I regularly stab my phone of course.

Lol.

But No I didn't watch the video, will tomorrow.

now this is a much better test of durability compared to the other video. now i want to see a rock thrown at it!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I was cringing when he was bending it with his shoe/foot and hand - waiting for it to snap.

Aye I was like "Damn that's gonna snap the fuck out and gash out his hand" but it held out. Really impressive stuff, I'd like a phone made entirely out of this material instead of aluminum.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I will just be charging more when I repair them for people then......

I'm just glad the bezel is much thinner than previously seen on the mock up models that have been floating around.

It isn't a great material. It will alter the colours of the screen slightly when outside and the sun is strong. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard