Why does everyone in this forum love Windows so much?

Builder

It's a yes or no question. Does that offend you? Oops.

Offend me? No, but I reserve the right to my private data. I already told you how old I am.

Oh, no. I don't have the patience or anything to become one. :P I may or may not have watched all of this year's WWDC just to see the part about Yosemite. I have actually used Mavericks (couple of days) and Snow Leopard or Leopard (a week), and even with my limited use of OS X, I rather liked it. Other than the lack of games. <_<

Well you said you use 10.10...either you meant 10.9 or you're a pirate.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This is a hardware and gaming forum and you ask that?

seriously?

WTF IS WITH YOUR AVATAR?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Probably because I have a brain?

Because I dont buy apple's bullshit?

I'm not the type of person that wants to assemble my own car from the factory so I definitely dont want linux?

Why would you use something other than what (just gonna pull this number outta my ass) propably 75% of computer users in the world use? or will at least be forced to use for work

So you want to do what everyone does and not try something new. I got into Linux when my netbook was running like crap on windows and I have to say it is really fun to play around with different distros and you don't need to be a computer science to use Linux, I would say in some cases it is easier than windows.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

This is a hardware and gaming forum and you ask that?

seriously?

What makes it a hardware and gaming forum? It's not a gaming forum at all. There are, however, dedicated sections to software and operating systems, under which this thread is posted.

Yeah just read that someone said something from apple is open source.....I'm still laughing

Open source to me means compatibility with more than just your own software or hardware, not just being able to edit the programming

Well that's not what open source means, I'd assume you'd call Windows "open source" by that standard. "Open source" means exactly what it sounds like.

Nearly all of OS X is open source. The only parts that aren't are the UI, Cocoa application framework, and Quartz compositor.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

My my my, what have we here? Argumentum ad populum? 

I'm not sure how you define having a brain, though I will admit it's a fairly difficult thing to measure non invasively.

You're ridiculous! You feed off people's opinions and argue with them to make yourself feel better. GET OVER YOURSELF!

You're ridiculous! You feed off people's opinions and argue with them to make yourself feel better. GET OVER YOURSELF!

His post was directly attacking my opinions. Am I ridiculous? You're the one going nuts here.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

lol came back and noticed that like 3 pages are just filled with 2 people flaming each other

anyways, you said in the OP that why would we bother learning how to use Windows 8. Well let's see, why would you bother to learn Linux? At least mostly every person I know including myself grew up knowing how to use a Windows machine. Windows 8 is not that much different, and it works perfectly fine, really.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

His post was directly attacking my opinions. Am I ridiculous? You're the one going nuts here.

You're driving me crazy! He can have his own opinions as well! Just like everyone else on planet earth! Just leave everybody alone!

Offend me? No, but I reserve the right to my private data. I already told you how old I am.

Well you said you use 10.10...either you meant 10.9 or you're a pirate.

I do like 10.9 (And I have used it), but from the WWDC demo I kind of came to the conclusion that it's a spiffed up 10.9 with some extra goodies. Therefore, I like it. ^_^

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No, I was attacking the opinions of most apple users, nothing personal meant.

I've used OSX, didn't care for it. Linux I will eventually have to learn for school.

OSX aside, Apple is a terrible company, thusly I refuse to buy their products.

I've used OSX, didn't care for it. Linux I will eventually have to learn for school.

I honestly think Apple's products are overpriced. That's why I don't like them and will never buy from them.

lol came back and noticed that like 3 pages are just filled with 2 people flaming each other

anyways, you said in the OP that why would we bother learning how to use Windows 8. Well let's see, why would you bother to learn Linux? At least mostly every person I know including myself grew up knowing how to use a Windows machine. Windows 8 is not that much different.

Because I don't use Windows to learn new things. I used it for its almost boringly consistent interface, up until 8. I built up workflows that 8 destroyed completely.

I bothered learning Linux because now I understand a ton more about systems than most people here do, it's a great learning experience and on top of that, it allows several unique advantages over Windows including being able to assure my code base is stable, fixing bugs in the OS itself, and implementing new features into the kernel.

You can't do any of that in Windows.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What makes it a hardware and gaming forum? It's not a gaming forum at all. There are, however, dedicated sections to software and operating systems, under which this thread is posted.

The content on this forum is in large part about hardware and gaming, there may be other sections on the forum but the primary focus is gaming and talking about hardware that is good for gaming. For every build about video editing there are ten meant for gaming.

That being said, we as gamers have pretty much no choice when it comes to an OS. Windows is the primary OS and thus has the largest selection of games and that's not going to change any time soon. Sure some people like windows but the reasons vary from just being what their used to, to only using it because of gaming. Personally I don't plan on using any other OS for the foreseeable future.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

WTF IS WITH YOUR AVATAR?

things

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

The content on this forum is in large part about hardware and gaming, there may be other sections on the forum but the primary focus is gaming and talking about hardware that is good for gaming. For every build about video editing there are ten meant for gaming.

That being said, we as gamers have pretty much no choice when it comes to an OS. Windows is the primary OS and thus has the largest selection of games and that's not going to change any time soon. Sure some people like windows but the reasons vary from just being what their used to, to only using it because of gaming. Personally I don't plan on using any other OS for the foreseeable future.

Not for much longer nerd brother, soon GabeN and the other Elders will save us all!

things

Touche!

You're driving me crazy! He can have his own opinions as well! Just like everyone else on planet earth! Just leave everybody alone!

This is a forum. 

fo·rum

ˈfôrəm

noun

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

I do like 10.9 (And I have used it), but from the WWDC demo I kind of came to the conclusion that it's a spiffed up 10.9 with some extra goodies. Therefore, I like it. ^_^

I like new Safari as well. Native DuckDuckGo :D

Why are they a terrible company?

I honestly think Apple's products are overpriced. That's why I don't like them and will never buy from them.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/176532-the-macbook-pro-is-actually-not-overpriced-with-ultrabook-comparison-chart/

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Because I don't use Windows to learn new things. I used it for its almost boringly consistent interface, up until 8. I built up workflows that 8 destroyed completely.

I bothered learning Linux because now I understand a ton more about systems than most people here do, it's a great learning experience and on top of that, it allows several unique advantages over Windows including being able to assure my code base is stable, fixing bugs in the OS itself, and implementing new features into the kernel.

You can't do any of that in Windows.

I suppose you're right, but at the same time you asked your question in a predominantly gaming community. Not everyone here really cares about programing, besides a few.

And the best operating system to game in? Windows. So that's pretty much your answer.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

This is a forum. 

fo·rum

ˈfôrəm

noun

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

I like new Safari as well. Native DuckDuckGo :D

Why are they a terrible company?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/176532-the-macbook-pro-is-actually-not-overpriced-with-ultrabook-comparison-chart/

Personally, I don't care for DuckDuckGo (plain Google for life!), but I do like what they did with all of the UI elements.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well you asked why it is here, it's in the appropriate section. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Not for much longer nerd brother, soon GabeN and the other Elders will save us all!

don't call me a nerd

I suppose you're right, but at the same time you asked your question in a predominantly gaming community. Not everyone here really cares about programing, besides a few.

And the best operating system to game in? Windows. So that's pretty much your answer.

I almost feel as if this is the wrong forum...this is LinusTechTips, right? Not LinusGamingTips...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well you asked why it is here, it's in the appropriate section. 

I was referring as to why you saw fit to even post it as I think the reasons are blatantly obvious.

Builder, on 07 Jul 2014 - 8:44 PM, said:

I almost feel as if this is the wrong forum...this is LinusTechTips, right? Not LinusGamingTips...

Well no, you're in the right forum, just asking the wrong people for the answer you want :P

I was referring as to why you saw fit to even post it as I think the reasons are blatantly obvious.

You're right, the reasons to post it are blatantly obvious.

@Phillyphries these should be the right people...it's the right subforum.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /