Why does everyone in this forum love Windows so much?

Builder

The amount of time you spent on that post I'd say a windows fanboy was spotted!

Wouldn't OSX server deliver more security and flexibility than windows domain? https://www.apple.com/ca/osx/server/features/

Personally, I really liked my hackintosh running mavericks with parallels 8 and windows 8, but because I wanted to upgrade my hardware without being limited to hackintosh "certified" stuff, I finally just bit my lip and went for windows 8. I still get a blue screen of death now and then, and it's crashed more in the past month than my hackintosh has in the last 3 years, but I'm resolute in staying with windows and hoping it improves. Parallels also doesn't always see SLI gpus, so gaming and rendering doesn't get any advantage to that extra card thats doing nothing.

You can hate MS as much as one like, but Windows is great OS. Same goes for OS X. It basically gets down to what is preferred and what job needs to be done.  I'm on OS X 90% of time for about 2 years now. Was on OpenSuse for about year before that. Running home server on Ubuntu for 3 years. Deploying to web applications RHEL servers. Of course Android on phone. Currently I don't even own a PC with Windows. I guess a am a Windows guy.

I was thinking of making my old Dell 6400 laptop into hackintosh as I think only wireless adapter needed replacement with supported one just to make fun of some guys with macs. The mac os strength and weakness in same time is limited supported hardware - less hardware more stable system.

What Windows server domain provides is centralized way of managing lots of windows workstations. As far as I know there is no real replacement for Active Directory. Samba and some other projects are trying to get there but never seen it used in production. There's Chef for installation/configuration but I don't think you can do something similar to Group Policy on *nix. 

It honestly surprises me how many people say that they would switch over to linux if it supported a ton of games. I honestly doubt 1/10th of the people saying that would even switch and use it as a dedicated destop OS. To me Linux is good for a few things 1. Running on servers, 2. For computers that are to slow to run windows, 3. Getting files off of a drive, 4. Recovering a windows password or other things... But in no way would I ever switch to Linux as a main desktop OS solution. At least not at its current standpoint. 

Also I know of some schools that are instead of buying new computers they are just switching them over to Linux so they will run faster... That really annoys me...

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

It honestly surprises me how many people say that they would switch over to linux if it supported a ton of games. I honestly doubt 1/10th of the people saying that would even switch and use it as a dedicated destop OS. To me Linux is good for a few things 1. Running on servers, 2. For computers that are to slow to run windows, 3. Getting files off of a drive, 4. Recovering a windows password or other things... But in no way would I ever switch to Linux as a main desktop OS solution. At least not at its current standpoint. 

Also I know of some schools that are instead of buying new computers they are just switching them over to Linux so they will run faster... That really annoys me...

I would. I would sitll use windows though. That said linux, no matter what the distro, take a lot of work to get it how i want it. . 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I would. I would sitll use windows though. That said linux, no matter what the distro, take a lot of work to get it how i want it. . 

Yeah, but I gotta say, Ubuntu is nearly perfect for newbs out of the box if you disable the goddamn advertising and search logging.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

No it's not. BSOD is any crash that can be caused by memory leaks, driver failures and other issues. Kernel panics are a UNIX thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic - first paragraph

can't uninstall iTunes What? Are you just making this up now?

You can't safely remove Safari, iTunes and others as they are basically part of OS. They are installed back with next update.

Open source has nothing to do with what hardware it runs on. If you wanted to you could port all of their stuff from , add a window manager and X and you'd be off to the races.

It doesn't make OS X not being locked down OS. Finder, Docker, Spotlight, Notification Center etc. makes it locked OS. Not completely but locked.

Yeah, except Finder has been in OS X for 15 years now and Metro UI was only added to Windows two years ago

Yup, 15 years and still quite unusable file browser at least for power users. File preview with space is nice feature though. So you are just ranting about Metro UI.

Shell is as efficient as on any Linux - there is no difference running bash on OS X or Ubuntu. Yup, that's kind of what UNIX certification means.

What I meant is Windows must be as efficient as OS X - emacs bash http://win-bash.sourceforge.net

And what I meant with this - being more efficient just because OS X is utter BS

More subjective opinion? Pages is better than LibreOffice, though somehow I doubt you've tried all of them. In fact, I prefer pages over Office for work any day, it's just that everyone else uses office so I install it too.

You are aware that MS Office and LibreOffice are software suits... With LibreOffice I can do shell document conversions and thats what I'm using it for. As for iWorks - I don't see any benefit for switching to it.

You are as subjective as any other person in this tread or oven more subjective as you basically started a trolling thread.

One of the most powerful Windows ecosystem features is Windows domain and there is no real alternatives for this as far as I know. And I think this is why businesses prefer Windows. There are Linux and UNIX domains too...

There is no such thing as Group Policy for *nix so there is no way of managing *nix boxes the same way as Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic - first paragraph But it's not the only thing they indicate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

You can't safely remove Safari, iTunes and others as they are basically part of OS. They are installed back with next update. You can. Use sudo rm -rf.

It doesn't make OS X not being locked down OS. Finder, Docker, Spotlight, Notification Center etc. makes it locked OS. Not completely but locked. You of all people should realize that those are minuscule parts of an operating system. All the stuff that matters is open source.

Yup, 15 years and still quite unusable file browser at least for power users. File preview with space is nice feature though. So you are just ranting about Metro UI. I can't stand anything but column view in Finder, it's way better than File Explorer and it's nearly identical with the other views. I normally just use pwd, ls, cd, vi, etc so it doesn't really matter as much to me.

What I meant is Windows must be as efficient as OS X - emacs bash http://win-bash.sourceforge.net

And what I meant with this - being more efficient just because OS X is utter BS I realize emacs runs on Windows. Windows is not, however, UNIX compliant so I am not guaranteed vi at the minimum when I use a Windows machine. OS X also uses far fewer system resources and conserves battery much better than Windows does.

You are aware that MS Office and LibreOffice are software suits... With LibreOffice I can do shell document conversions and thats what I'm using it for. As for iWorks - I don't see any benefit for switching to it. I do realize they are software suites. MS Office is bloated, they haven't added anything of use since the ribbon way back in '07.

You are as subjective as any other person in this tread or oven more subjective as you basically started a trolling thread. I was genuinely interested why. If you have been reading, at least 40% of the replies have been saying that if given the choice, they would use OS X however their games are not available on it.

There is no such thing as Group Policy for *nix so there is no way of managing *nix boxes the same way as Windows. Try LDAP and NIS.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Those god damn AAA devs are not porting their games to Linux. Oh and also Adobe softwares, if they ported them, Linux could have destroyed M$.

Gaming, but don't mistake obligation for love.

^. However, I have Linux Mint dual booted and usually run that, unless I'm planning on playing games.

Yeah, but I gotta say, Ubuntu is nearly perfect for newbs out of the box if you disable the goddamn advertising and search logging.

I always recommend mint cinnamon for the interface. I run ubuntu with cinnamon myself. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I always recommend mint cinnamon for the interface. I run ubuntu with cinnamon myself. 

Cinnamon is decent. Better than GNOME and Unity, but I prefer window managers in general. Xfce is my choice for desktop environments. Linus Torvalds uses it too.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Cinnamon is decent. Better than GNOME and Unity, but I prefer window managers in general. Xfce is my choice for desktop environments. Linus Torvalds uses it too.

Don't shoot me, but I like cinnamon more than xfce

muh specs 

All parts black

Don't shoot me, but I like cinnamon more than xfce

That's what I like about Linux, and to a lesser extent OS X. Linux doesn't do "one size fits all."

Windows takes its UI, and tells you, "This is what you want, this is what you get," whether or not it's good.

OS X takes its UI, and tells you, "This is generally what you need, but you can change your window manager if you want to," and it's generally good, better than Windows at least.

Linux takes its UI, and says, "Hey man, I don't have a UI. I'm just your kernel, make your own decision," and you get to do whatever you want.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hold on a sec, I'm going to reboot into OS 10.10.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Back.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

i like windows because that all i have used in my life so going into a linux os is literally new grounds for me since i never had the need to use it or bother to do a dual boot just for curiosity, it just never called my attention, also windows massive application library is another incentive, and for osx, i don't like apple software at all, zero, i rather go back to stone age that use a mac or hackintosh, i feel the user experience is terrible, imo, plus i don't use products of companies i don't support 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

You can hate MS as much as one like, but Windows is great OS. Same goes for OS X. It basically gets down to what is preferred and what job needs to be done.  I'm on OS X 90% of time for about 2 years now. Was on OpenSuse for about year before that. Running home server on Ubuntu for 3 years. Deploying to web applications RHEL servers. Of course Android on phone. Currently I don't even own a PC with Windows. I guess a am a Windows guy.

I was thinking of making my old Dell 6400 laptop into hackintosh as I think only wireless adapter needed replacement with supported one just to make fun of some guys with macs. The mac os strength and weakness in same time is limited supported hardware - less hardware more stable system.

What Windows server domain provides is centralized way of managing lots of windows workstations. As far as I know there is no real replacement for Active Directory. Samba and some other projects are trying to get there but never seen it used in production. There's Chef for installation/configuration but I don't think you can do something similar to Group Policy on *nix. 

Sorry if my statement came off wrong, I never said I hated microsoft or windows. I tried clarifying that by saying I'm sticking with windows 8, and hoping for better development in the future. The benefits OSX provided to me are no longer a concern, and with my vm's lack of SLI support was the tipping point. I believe all environments have their merits and fallbacks. I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of calling a guy a fan boy and then refuting everything he said line by line.... kettle.pot/black

Apple has open directory, so osx server can authenticate via the following directories (I don't believe it was a right out of the box ready to go solution, but what is on servers?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Open_Directory

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Sorry if my statement came off wrong, I never said I hated microsoft or windows. I tried clarifying that by saying I'm sticking with windows 8, and hoping for better development in the future. The benefits OSX provided to me are no longer a concern, and with my vm's lack of SLI support was the tipping point. I believe all environments have their merits and fallbacks.

I was referring more to general hate of MS just because it's M$. And I'm all for using best tool for the job too. 

I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of calling a guy a fan boy and then refuting everything he said line by line.... kettle.pot/black

Tsss, don't expose my trolling efforts. Anyway saying that one OS is so much better than other when it comes to Windows/OS X/big linux distros is just starting flame war and attacking any of them in community where most users are on specific one will cause it right away.

Apple has open directory, so osx server can authenticate via the following directories (I don't believe it was a right out of the box ready to go solution, but what is on servers?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Open_Directory

The authentication part is the easiest I guess but MS ecosystem (AD, WSUS, Exchange etc.) as an integrated solution I think is better as open source can offer. Just found that there is even something like Centrify that can add *nix managment support to this. The downside of course is $$$.

I never got windows 8, I refuse to put up with the "modern ui" bs. I use windows 7 primarily for games, it's a good system but if it supported all of my games properly I would switch to ubuntu or another linux distro. I still prefer win7 to osx though, osx is too closed and limited for my taste.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You should try #! (CrunchBang) Linux. It's Debian optimized for this gorgeous and wicked flexible WM called OpenBox.

CrunchBang Linux is amazing! I am using it right now, definitely a good distro.

Learning

Personally, I don't care for DuckDuckGo (plain Google for life!), but I do like what they did with all of the UI elements.

You can use DuckDuckGo to search on google aswell! Just type in something like "!g" or "google" and after that your search query and it will display the google search results using an encrypted connection. I am not sure how well the encrypted connection is, but it seems better than "plain Google".

Learning

You can use DuckDuckGo to search on google aswell! Just type in something like "!g" or "google" and after that your search query and it will display the google search results using an encrypted connection. I am not sure how well the encrypted connection is, but it seems better than "plain Google".

I know. Just Google is my buddy, man. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I never got windows 8, I refuse to put up with the "modern ui" bs. I use windows 7 primarily for games, it's a good system but if it supported all of my games properly I would switch to ubuntu or another linux distro. I still prefer win7 to osx though, osx is too closed and limited for my taste.

I have had Windows 8 for over 9 months and haven't messed with Modern UI much if at all. Classic Shell makes that possible.

I've yet to hit compatibility issues with Windows 8 that couldn't be fixed by running it in compatiblity mode for Windows 7. Bioshock 1 is an example, the sound wouldn't work until I switched to Windows 7 compatibility mode. Then everything was fine.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't love, nor do I hate windows.

I'm efficient at using windows, so I'm perfectly happy using it.

I've dabbled with linux and I'm not good at it so it drives me insane occasionally (still no working WLAN on my laptop).

I think that if I was good at linux I'd like it, pretty simple for me.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I have had Windows 8 for over 9 months and haven't messed with Modern UI much if at all. Classic Shell makes that possible.

I've yet to hit compatibility issues with Windows 8 that couldn't be fixed by running it in compatiblity mode for Windows 7. Bioshock 1 is an example, the sound wouldn't work until I switched to Windows 7 compatibility mode. Then everything was fine.

I use stardock's start 8 (I think it was $5) and I never even see the modern ui. I have windows set up to boot into desktop. There is a button (optionally) in start 8 to be able to bring it up, the only time it's useful is I have all the programs I use for work (autodesk stuff, filezilla, some pdf converters) all in the first column. I set this up before I had stardock though.

I don't know if stardock is the best solution (its not free, I'm sure there are free solutions) but I found it when I wanted to see if the mod program for windows 2000 I used to use was still around (windowblinds) and it was, made by stardock. But it's $50 now... wasn't sure if it's worth it with all the downloadable themepacks.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.