Why does everyone in this forum love Windows so much?

Builder

I have had Windows 8 for over 9 months and haven't messed with Modern UI much if at all. Classic Shell makes that possible.

I've yet to hit compatibility issues with Windows 8 that couldn't be fixed by running it in compatiblity mode for Windows 7. Bioshock 1 is an example, the sound wouldn't work until I switched to Windows 7 compatibility mode. Then everything was fine.

It's true, there are workarounds, but it's the principle that bothers me. A commercial os should NOT need a user developed tweak to work correctly. Furthermore I refuse to give them my money and show that I'm ok with the current state of things. Apparently a lot of people agree with me and the message was received by ms which apparently will allow users to deactivate completely modern ui in win9. As for compatibility, I never thought that was a problem, in that case I was comparing win7 to linux.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CrunchBang Linux is amazing! I am using it right now, definitely a good distro.

Ah yeah. It's so beautiful right out of the Box. (pun intended)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I use stardock's start 8 (I think it was $5)

So I'm supposed to pay to properly use a commercial os I already paid a lot for? Do operating systems have dlc too now?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ah yeah. It's so beautiful right out of the Box. (pun intended)

knoppix op

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

knoppix op

Wait are you one of those crazies that does nothing but run live distros?

:)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wait are you one of those crazies that does nothing but run live distros?

:)

nah, but I tried quite a few a couple of years ago out of curiosity ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So I'm supposed to pay to properly use a commercial os I already paid a lot for? Do operating systems have dlc too now?

Oh I'm not saying you should, or believe that I should have, it was just a solution I found once I made the Windows 8 jump (I think I jumped a little too early... but I was upgrading and rebuilding my home computer from a hackintosh with Mountain Lion to a Windows-only machine. I just assumed the latest OS would be the best. The last version of Windows I used as the main OS on my home computer was 2000. I then used XP and 7 in a VM to run Windows applications.

But to be fair, I barely used the dock on OSX, I used spotlight to open an application. CMD-Space to open spotlight. Type "au" to find autocad, hit enter. Open! My dock was bare minimum, mostly browsers, word processing, system preferences, XBMC and torrent app. I find it weird having to use the start menu, navigating through a jungle with my mouse as a machete. And I hate a cluttered desktop... So, yeah, even though start 8 is an improvement, I still find it a drawback.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

I like to play games so windows is the only one that works with majority of the games.

Also, I don't use windows 8 on my main PC. I do however have it on my laptop.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

nah, but I tried quite a few a couple of years ago out of curiosity ^^

Ah, the "distro binge." We've all had at least one. I do it yearly the week before christmas so I know what to install on hardware I get and on hardware I give to people.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Ah, the "distro binge." We've all had at least one. I do it yearly the week before christmas so I know what to install on hardware I get and on hardware I give to people.

haha glad to know I'm not the only one ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

haha glad to know I'm not the only one ^^

By the way I love your sig.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

By the way I love your sig.

:D I found it on the ubuntu forum lol

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

:D I found it on the ubuntu forum lol

It's from xkcd.com you know. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's from xkcd.com you know. 

now I do

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

now I do

He makes a lot of good comics. He also lives around three towns away from me.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Like everyone else said, the game support, and the fact that I have grown up using windows on a PC, so im kinda use to it 

Grew up with windows 95-XP (21yro) so i know it like the back of my hand, cant game on OSX and i dont game on PC anyway but its either Windows or OSX (Linux is great actually enjoy playing around with LinuxMint)

and its safe to say 75% of people on this website built thier PC.

think of where on the net you are asking this question.

I could join a halo forum and paste this Q there, ya know.

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

Those god damn AAA devs are not porting their games to Linux. Oh and also Adobe softwares, if they ported them, Linux could have destroyed M$.

...and Autodesk, Maxon, NewTek etc... productivity software is lacking big time on Linux.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

...and Autodesk, Maxon, NewTek etc... productivity software is lacking big time on Linux.

Those specific pieces of productivity software are, but there is plenty of productivity software for Linux. Blender for example can replace at least one of those as well I believe.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Those specific pieces of productivity software are, but there is plenty of productivity software for Linux. Blender for example can replace at least one of those as well I believe.

I wouldn't say there's plenty of productivity software for Linux. Take 3D as an example. You only have Blender as an somewhat worthy alternative.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Windows is love, windows is life.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W