Why does everyone in this forum love Windows so much?

Builder

It took me a week to get it to imitate the way windows renders fonts, and even after all my tweaking and a lil coding it's close I guess, but still not the same as truetype. As a web developer, this annoys the hell out of me. 

OT I mean it's just not user friendly in anyway. We need a distro that's good to go out of the box. No terminal needed, ect. Make it for the mainstream. 

Of course oems would have to support that by including it on new computers. 

I mentioned that all freeware OS like Linux is amazing for programming. It is my personal view. I do programming on CS50 appliance too.

Destro is very nice, too.

I mentioned that all freeware OS like Linux is amazing for programming. It is my personal view. I do programming on CS50 appliance too.

Destro is very nice, too.

I see now that you were referring to the fact that OSX is meant to only work on apple products.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Productivity, gaming, software variety. That's why.  :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Games, and more people in the world use Windows than OSX and Linux.

Not if you only count the most recent versions of those, lol.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

One of the most powerful Windows ecosystem features is Windows domain and there is no real alternatives for this as far as I know. And I think this is why businesses prefer Windows.

The amount of time you spent on that post I'd say a windows fanboy was spotted!

Wouldn't OSX server deliver more security and flexibility than windows domain? https://www.apple.com/ca/osx/server/features/

Personally, I really liked my hackintosh running mavericks with parallels 8 and windows 8, but because I wanted to upgrade my hardware without being limited to hackintosh "certified" stuff, I finally just bit my lip and went for windows 8. I still get a blue screen of death now and then, and it's crashed more in the past month than my hackintosh has in the last 3 years, but I'm resolute in staying with windows and hoping it improves. Parallels also doesn't always see SLI gpus, so gaming and rendering doesn't get any advantage to that extra card thats doing nothing.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

who deleted my post?

bill is that you?

I hate windows. It's locked shit!  You pay 300$ just to have one and play 50-60$ shit games! But you need 200-300$ or 1000$ (oh i see you want i7 5960x but do not know why) CPU 500-700$ (or Titan Z?) GPU 500-600$ MONITOR and shitty stuff like this just to play shitty games!  They make so much money on you, you are like man addicted to drugs. You need games, that are just programs written in C++ like air. You have i7 3770k but when 3-4% faster i7 4770k is out you buy it! when slightly oced 4790k is out you buy it, they just make money on you guys.

I use UBUNTU and i do with OS everything i want! It's open source. It's real freedom  :) No one asked me to pay 100-300$ shitty OS. in wich they do whatever they want and no one asks you what you want to get for that money. Metro UI. Anyone asked you did you like it? they just made it. They are making this just to get money from you and you are like DONKEYS. giving them your money for what you could get free. Games? are you little kid? Games are for children under 13-14 years. I do not understand when did this change? mario was for 10 year children but why is BF4 for 25-40-50 year people? becouse of good graphics? Fuck graphics!

I do not understand this. 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

"Installing update 23 of 168, don't turn off your PC"

"Updates failed, reverting changes"

Every. Single. Time.

Have you tried disabling update 23? It install updates in the order it presents in the list.

If I had one issue with Linux, I wouldn't stop trying to use it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Have you tried disabling update 23? It install updates in the order it presents in the list.

If I had one issue with Linux, I wouldn't stop trying to use it

95% of supercomputers are on linux because it's just better!!!

if ubuntu/linux was gaming platform it would fuck windows in every aspect!

look at FPS  LOL  

WINDOWS SUCKS!!!

those that do backups

I don't think we love Windows. We're just forced to use it. That's all.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I hate Windows... But I cant play my games on OS X and Linux is a server OS (come at me).

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

I use it because of work for the most part.  The business world, at least in North America, is very Windows-centric.  I work from home so I need to be able to do what I need to do without issue, and that means using Windows.  I think this is going to change going forward, but it'll be slow and Windows will always have a stake.  I don't think I've been in an office in the past 15 years that didn't have a Windows domain controller/Active Directory server.  It's just part of the necessary infrastructure these days.

Also gaming, I like to game so Windows.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I hate windows. It's locked shit! You pay 300$ just to have one and play 50-60$ shit games! But you need 200-300$ or 1000$ (oh i see you want i7 5960x but do not know why) CPU 500-700$ (or Titan Z?) GPU 500-600$ MONITOR and shitty stuff like this just to play shitty games! They make so much money on you, you are like man addicted to drugs. You need games, that are just programs written in C++ like air. You have i7 3770k but when 3-4% faster i7 4770k is out you buy it! when slightly oced 4790k is out you buy it, they just make money on you guys.

I use UBUNTU and i do with OS everything i want! It's open source. It's real freedom :) No one asked me to pay 100-300$ shitty OS. in wich they do whatever they want and no one asks you what you want to get for that money. Metro UI. Anyone asked you did you like it? they just made it. They are making this just to get money from you and you are like DONKEYS. giving them your money for what you could get free. Games? are you little kid? Games are for children under 13-14 years. I do not understand when did this change? mario was for 10 year children but why is BF4 for 25-40-50 year people? becouse of good graphics? Fuck graphics!

There are so many things wrong with your post, I'm just going to assume you're trolling.

Not if you only count the most recent versions of those, lol.

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say m8. Explain?

Windows is great for productivity. Picture/video editing works great, I can upgrade most of my system without any problems. And games works great.

OS X is in Apple products and they are expensive, especially outside US. And still mostly with Apple people are stuck with what they have purchased - no upgrades.

Linux is ok for light things. But no productivity apps, that would appeal to professionals or mid-heavy users.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

It's on. :D

Ah, a Mac fanboy spotted. No, you spotted a platform polyglot UNIX hacker.

I don't know man, I get the same amount of work done on Windows, Linux and OS X... We probably don't do the same work.

I'm not. Just being sarcastic. BSOD is a kernel panic No it's not. BSOD is any crash that can be caused by memory leaks, driver failures and other issues. Kernel panics are a UNIX thing. and is just a term used for Windows. I have never got BSOD on Windows 8 and don't know anyone who has mostly because no one uses Win 8. So what now, Win is as stable OS X. Which explains why every time I use Windows Update I have to spend three days rolling back updates until it works. BSODs are simply a fact of Windows usage after a certain point, I get them all the time because my graphics driver crashes. (no, it's not a beta, it's the right driver) 

No way... wait OS X is based on open source FreeBSD and just have a bunch of open source stuff preinstalled. Can't install custom window manager, Yes you can. Let me Google that for you. stuck with graphic drivers provided by Apple, can't uninstall iTunes What? Are you just making this up now? and a lot of other garbage and so on. It's as locked as Windows. No. Windows does not have ANY open source components, and OS X is 90% open source components. Open source has nothing to do with what hardware it runs on. If you wanted to you could port all of their stuff from http://opensource.apple.com, add a window manager and X and you'd be off to the races.

Edit: almost forgot - it's hardware locked. Yes, there are Hackitoshs but it's still runs on limited set of hardware. Well that way Apple can insure a certain experience. They regulate the hardware so they can insure their OS runs well. Part of why Windows runs into problems is because they can't do that.

I can say the same about Finder, "I can only avoid it entirely by adding another piece of software to an already relatively unstable platform to circumvent a "feature""Yeah, except Finder has been in OS X for 15 years now and Metro UI was only added to Windows two years ago. and it would cost me 50$. Shell is as efficient as on any Linux - there is no difference running bash on OS X or Ubuntu. Yup, that's kind of what UNIX certification means. Anyway I prefer ZSH. Okay.

Yeah, and you can install Open/Libre office on Windows for as low price as on any other supported OS. MS Office is the best suite out there. And it is available on OSX. More subjective opinion? Pages is better than LibreOffice, though somehow I doubt you've tried all of them. In fact, I prefer pages over Office for work any day, it's just that everyone else uses office so I install it too.

One of the most powerful Windows ecosystem features is Windows domain and there is no real alternatives for this as far as I know. And I think this is why businesses prefer Windows. There are Linux and UNIX domains too...

P.S. OS wars FTW This isn't even a war though. This is unsupported claims and subjective opinion.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I use it because of work for the most part.  The business world, at least in North America, is very Windows-centric.  I work from home so I need to be able to do what I need to do without issue, and that means using Windows. 

WTF?

I work from home too on my UBUNTU machine!!!  

Windows is great for productivity. Picture/video editing works great, I can upgrade most of my system without any problems. And games works great.

OS X is in Apple products and they are expensive, especially outside US. And still mostly with Apple people are stuck with what they have purchased - no upgrades.

Linux is ok for light things. But no productivity apps, that would appeal to professionals or mid-heavy users.

OS X is best in Picture/video editing!

but i hate OS X too  because of APPLE itself!

windows? who loves windows? 90% have windows only for games! they are not real consumers. they are forced to do so. but now when games like metro, witcher, left 4 dead 2 are on linux nativelly soon i assume others will be too.

on steam there are more then 500 titles that support linux nativelly. And also Steam OS thing :) maybe in 3 years if developers will do we could have 2 main gaming platform. and as you know competition is good for us.

remember what intel does it's because they does not have competitor. also microsoft does really bad things. Does not even ask consumers what they want. 

remember when mantle was out, nvidia made super driver for cpu overhead. why did not they do this until that time. because they saw their competitor in mantle.

oh right, if mantle will be on linux/ubuntu that will be great.

those that do backups

WTF?

I work from home too on my UBUNTU machine!!!  

WTF is clients send me laptops with Windows installed along with a VPN so I can access their networks.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I wouldn't say I love it but, it works well and I enjoy using it

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

It seems to me that the main reason is games. I thought this was more of a technical forum, I didn't realize people were so into gaming. Because from a technical standpoint, Linux is much better, and from a usability standpoint, Linux is sometimes better and OS X is way better.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

who deleted my post?

bill is that you?

I hate windows. It's locked shit!  You pay 300$ just to have one and play 50-60$ shit games! But you need 200-300$ or 1000$ (oh i see you want i7 5960x but do not know why) CPU 500-700$ (or Titan Z?) GPU 500-600$ MONITOR and shitty stuff like this just to play shitty games!  They make so much money on you, you are like man addicted to drugs. You need games, that are just programs written in C++ like air. You have i7 3770k but when 3-4% faster i7 4770k is out you buy it! when slightly oced 4790k is out you buy it, they just make money on you guys.

I use UBUNTU and i do with OS everything i want! It's open source. It's real freedom  :) No one asked me to pay 100-300$ shitty OS. in wich they do whatever they want and no one asks you what you want to get for that money. Metro UI. Anyone asked you did you like it? they just made it. They are making this just to get money from you and you are like DONKEYS. giving them your money for what you could get free. Games? are you little kid? Games are for children under 13-14 years. I do not understand when did this change? mario was for 10 year children but why is BF4 for 25-40-50 year people? becouse of good graphics? Fuck graphics!

the original post is still there. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i like OSX more than Windows:(

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Gaming, but don't mistake obligation for love.

10000000000000000000000000000% this

I really am not a fan of windows I just use it out of necessity. It runs the programs and tasks I need it to and that is as far as it goes with me.

Sure its not the worst thing in the world but given a choice it would not be my first

I would probably pick OSX if any of you were wondering

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the original post is still there. 

i do not know why but i couldnot see it. 6 page did not appear in my browser. thanks :)

those that do backups

What does Windows do that the other operating systems can't? Why did you put up with having to learn how to use Windows 8? What keeps you coming back to Windows? I want to know.

1. Driver Support

2. Game support

3. Easy as hell to set up

4. I don't like Linux and don't want the hassle of making a Hackintosh.

I'm curious, is it that people don't like Windows because it is not free?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I've got a dualboot of windows and linux to be able to do my schoolwork and open more then 10 tabs while browsing. The unlucky fact appeared everything works so much faster now that I'm working in linux that I forget to reboot and I've to wait a couple of hours for all the updates if I boot in windows to try playing a game at 1-10 fps -,-

If I'm finally able to have a faster pc I'll buy windows because I kinda like it if the computer which runs it is fast enough for the fancy graphics. So the fact that it's not free will not make me decide this. The massive amount of users and support is the reason I'm not using linux becaus you definitely can game on a linux machine even though not all games are fully supported.

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }