Why does everyone in this forum love Windows so much?

Builder

You're right, the reasons to post it are blatantly obvious.

@Phillyphries these should be the right people...it's the right subforum.

Yes it's the right subforum, just dominated with people who use Windows to play video games.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Yes it's the right subforum, just dominated with people who use Windows to play video games.

Unfortunate. There was a time when you actually had to know how your computer worked to play video games.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Why is apple terrible?

They're dishonest. They pretend like anyone who criticizes their products doesn't exist. Not to mention their overpricing, they're close minded user base (one kid earlier today has to make a stealth windows build for gaming because his moronic chattel apple user parents won't let him own a windows computer). Granted they might not be representative of ALL apple users, but they're representative of EVERY apple user I've ever personally met.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Builder, on 07 Jul 2014 - 8:50 PM, said:

Unfortunate. There was a time when you actually had to know how your computer worked to play video games.

You don't have to insult everybody who likes/uses Windows you know.

Just because you happen to know a bit more in the programming side of things, it doesn't make Linux/MacOS better for everyone else.

As for your question, it was pretty vague anyways.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Why is apple terrible?

They're dishonest. They pretend like anyone who criticizes their products doesn't exist. Not to mention their overpricing, they're close minded user base (one kid earlier today has to make a stealth windows build for gaming because his moronic chattel apple user parents won't let him own a windows computer). Granted they might not be representative of ALL apple users, but they're representative of EVERY apple user I've ever personally met.

Just tested this. It's not true.

Also it's not overpriced. There was a thread with a scientific comparison.

It's really unfair for you to base your opinion off of them based on some kid over the internet claiming his parents won't let him build a computer.

Edit: @Trik'Stari it also doesn't make sense, because file not found is returned by the web server, not by the router/in between. He either exceeded his bandwidth limit (it's happened in the past) or there was another issue.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You're right, the reasons to post it are blatantly obvious.

@Phillyphries these should be the right people...it's the right subforum.

You know that's not what I meant

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You know that's not what I meant

:D

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Just tested this. It's not true.

Also it's not overpriced. There was a thread with a scientific comparison.

It's really unfair for you to base your opinion off of them based on some kid over the internet claiming his parents won't let him build a computer.

Edit: @Trik'Stari it also doesn't make sense, because file not found is returned by the web server, not by the router/in between. He either exceeded his bandwidth limit (it's happened in the past) or there was another issue.

Ok, that guy, is a tech guru, he knows what he's talking about. And if you were paying attention, he's banned in apple stores. so only if you go to their store, and attempt to look him up, will you get the 404 error. Not to mention it's an old video, but the point still stands, they're a dishonest company, not the only one, but dishonest none the less. Windows might be shitty in some ways, and microsoft might drag their heels or refuse outright to fix it, but at least they know they have problems.

And it's not just that kids parents. Every single apple user I've ever known, has been unwilling to accept that there could ever be anything bad about any apple product, also unwilling to talk about anything but apple products if you bring up anything even remotely related to computers, which is why I generally avoid apple users.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ok, that guy, is a tech guru, he knows what he's talking about. And if you were paying attention, he's banned in apple stores. so only if you go to their store, and attempt to look him up, will you get the 404 error. Not to mention it's an old video, but the point still stands, they're a dishonest company, not the only one, but dishonest none the less. Windows might be shitty in some ways, and microsoft might drag their heels or refuse outright to fix it, but at least they know they have problems.

And it's not just that kids parents. Every single apple user I've ever known, has been unwilling to accept that there could ever be anything bad about any apple product, also unwilling to talk about anything but apple products if you bring up anything even remotely related to computers, which is why I generally avoid apple users.

I did try it at an Apple store...I'm inside a mall right now. 

He's a biased tech guru, and I doubt he knows what he's talking about to the extent that I do. 404 is a server error, if you understood the internet you would also understand why what he claims does not make sense and on top of that HE VERIFIES THAT IT IS NO LONGER THE CASE IF IT EVER WAS ON HIS WEBSITE. I see a troll who had to make a quick cover up when he realized he had been discovered.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And it is crashing as hell, lots of not responding stuff. I suspect it's because of going from Lion to MT and then to Mavericks. I have had more BSOD than can remember having with XP.

Running mavericks here and have none of these issues, obviously something wrong with your install if its that unstable, just like you'd say if someone was complaining about constant bluescreens in windows. Obviously not normal behavior...

Why is apple terrible?

Fanboys like this exist for just about every product on the face of earth, and yes fanboys are always super annoying. Just because you met some obnoxious fanboys does not say anything about other users. And IMO people that go around posting 'hurrr all apple users are fanboys' are just as annoying as apple fanboys.

And if you think Microsoft isn't also dishonest, that's rather naive ;) Both companies have their share of flaws.

This thread is going nowhere...

You can't just say "hurrrr windows is only for games durrrrrr" or "OSX only for apple fanboys herp derp". All OSes have their uses and I would go almost as far as saying there is not much between them.

Another thing is that Windows has moved on since the unstable 98 version... The only thing caused my machine to restart in the last 6 months were software updates or general maintenance. How is that unstable?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You can't just say "hurrrr windows is only for games durrrrrr" or "OSX only for apple fanboys herp derp". All OSes have their uses and I would go almost as far as saying there is not much between them.

Another thing is that Windows has moved on since the unstable 98 version... The only thing caused my machine to restart in the last 6 months were software updates or general maintenance. How is that unstable?

Agreed, there's been way too many pointless threads like this lately :/

Since ME actually. But I agree we should pretend only 2000 existed and ME never happened. 

But seriously almost every windows machine I've used in recent years were very stable barring hardware problems. Hell, I'd go as far as saying it's more stable than most linux distros I have run. Unless you run a bare Debian or something, usually the combination of different interfaces programs and other crap blah blah on on and on usually cause a lot of issues for the standard user with something like an Ubuntu distro. It's not linux itself but usually other crap on top of it yah know? 

btw If you run windows with an AMD card and you think the drivers are bad install Linux. Thankfully there are generic drivers available. One of the great features of linux. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

All my programs and familiarity really also the other OS's don't do everything I need.

Jack of all trades, master of none (kind of). I generally prefer linux to be honest, but due to work I have to use Windows at home and just dual boot whatever linux distro I currently fancy.

I hate windows. It's locked shit!  You pay 300$ just to have one and play 50-60$ shit games! But you need 200-300$ or 1000$ (oh i see you want i7 5960x but do not know why) CPU 500-700$ (or Titan Z?) GPU 500-600$ MONITOR and shitty stuff like this just to play shitty games!  They make so much money on you, you are like man addicted to drugs. You need games, that are just programs written in C++ like air. You have i7 3770k but when 3-4% faster i7 4770k is out you buy it! when slightly oced 4790k is out you buy it, they just make money on you guys.

I use UBUNTU and i do with OS everything i want! It's open source. It's real freedom :) No one asked me to pay 100-300$ shitty OS. in wich they do whatever they want and no one asks you what you want to get for that money. Metro UI. Anyone asked you did you like it? they just made it. They are making this just to get money from you and you are like DONKEYS. giving them your money for what you could get free. Games? are you little kid? Games are for children under 13-14 years. I do not understand when did this change? mario was for 10 year children but why is BF4 for 25-40-50 year people? becouse of good graphics? Fuck graphics!

I do not understand this. 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I hate windows. It's locked shit!  You pay 300$ just to have one and play 50-60$ shit games! But you need 200-300$ or 1000$ (oh i see you want i7 5960x but do not know why) CPU 500-700$ (or Titan Z?) GPU 500-600$ MONITOR and shitty stuff like this just to play shitty games!  They make so much money on you, you are like man addicted to drugs. You need games, that are just programs written in C++ like air. You have i7 3770k but when 3-4% faster i7 4770k is out you buy it! when slightly oced 4790k is out you buy it, they just make money on you guys.

I use UBUNTU and i do with OS everything i want! It's open source. It's real freedom :) No one asked me to pay 100-300$ shitty OS. in wich they do whatever they want and no one asks you what you want to get for that money. Metro UI. Anyone asked you did you like it? they just made it. They are making this just to get money from you and you are like DONKEYS. giving them your money for what you could get free. Games? are you little kid? Games are for children under 13-14 years. I do not understand when did this change? mario was for 10 year children but why is BF4 for 25-40-50 year people? becouse of good graphics? Fuck graphics!

I do not understand this. 

Windows does not cost 300$? Less than 100 for pro? 

And most users have it because it is included with their machine. 

A huge portion of machine builders bootleg it weather they admit to it or not.

You don't have to use metro. Or windows 8. Well I guess most machines DO ship with it now.  :(

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Ah, a Mac fanboy spotted.

I don't know man, I get way more work done on a Mac...

I don't know man, I get the same amount of work done on Windows, Linux and OS X...

I'm sorry, you're trying to tell someone else which OS he likes more? That's not how that works. OS X doesn't BSOD, it kernel panics, so I don't know what you're talking about. Also, I never get kernel panics, nor does anyone else I know.

I'm not. Just being sarcastic. BSOD is a kernel panic and is just a term used for Windows. I have never got BSOD on Windows 8 and don't know anyone who has mostly because no one uses Win 8. So what now, Win is as stable OS X.

Wait what? Windows not anywhere near as locked down as Mac OS X? Do you realize that around 90% of OS X is completely open source? opensource.apple.com

No way... wait OS X is based on open source FreeBSD and just have a bunch of open source stuff preinstalled. Can't install custom window manager, stuck with graphic drivers provided by Apple, can't uninstall iTunes and a lot of other garbage and so on. It's as locked as Windows.

Edit: almost forgot - it's hardware locked. Yes, there are Hackitoshs but it's still runs on limited set of hardware.

I can only avoid it entirely by adding another piece of software to an already relatively unstable platform to circumvent a "feature" that was poorly implemented and that the majority of users did not like. OS X isn't just for noobs either, I've been doing all of my development work in it for the past year. It's very efficient if you understand emacs and bash.

I can say the same about Finder, "I can only avoid it entirely by adding another piece of software to an already relatively unstable platform to circumvent a "feature"" and it would cost me 50$. Shell is as efficient as on any Linux - there is no difference running bash on OS X or Ubuntu. Anyway I prefer ZSH.

Why is Windows the best for working though? You can get Pages for free with every Mac, and most Linux distros come with LibreOffice.

Honestly, unless you're gaming, I can't imagine anything I can do in my Windows 7/8.1 installs that I can't do in Linux and OS X. I do most things faster actually, but for you I'm sure the answer is different.

Yeah, and you can install Open/Libre office on Windows for as low price as on any other supported OS. MS Office is the best suite out there. And it is available on OSX. 

One of the most powerful Windows ecosystem features is Windows domain and there is no real alternatives for this as far as I know. And I think this is why businesses prefer Windows.

P.S. OS wars FTW

Too many posts to read...

To OP, I have yet to see posts saying how great windows is. I'm not sure that even fanboys are really true fanboys. You see more people praising Apple and Linux than windows.

For me reasons using it are mainly with software compability, and games. But I run 2 linux systems also. OSX is only that I really don't like to run. Its the most incompatinle system I know. Even pdf files made in that system don't work properly on other systems. Besides the fact that you need to specially built or buy system for it. Doesn't make it very user friendly for advanced user.

There isn't really much where to choose from with OS'. Its either Windows, OSX or Linux pretty much. Others have so low user base that even though they might be superior the software side lacks too much. This has been major problem for new mobile OS' aswell where app markets determine which system will gather users more than on what devices it runs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Too many posts to read...

To OP, I have yet to see posts saying how great windows is. I'm not sure that even fanboys are really true fanboys. You see more people praising Apple and Linux than windows.

For me reasons using it are mainly with software compability, and games. But I run 2 linux systems also. OSX is only that I really don't like to run. Its the most incompatinle system I know. Even pdf files made in that system don't work properly on other systems. Besides the fact that you need to specially built or buy system for it. Doesn't make it very user friendly for advanced user.

There isn't really much where to choose from with OS'. Its either Windows, OSX or Linux pretty much. Others have so low user base that even though they might be superior the software side lacks too much. This has been major problem for new mobile OS' aswell where app markets determine which system will gather users more than on what devices it runs.

I think the problem with linux is the lack of mainstream users, and ease of use. Even with distros like Ubuntu and mint, you spend a lot of time in terminal and messing with other things. I hope some distro comes along and changes that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I think the problem with linux is the lack of mainstream users, and ease of use. Even with distros like Ubuntu and mint, you spend a lot of time in terminal and messing with other things. I hope some distro comes along and changes that. 

Thats true also but it isn't really what I understand this thread is wondering. Most users here are advanced ones who will tweak systems anyway. I just got BiTorrent Sync running on my laptop with only minimal terminal stuff and few good (but really badly written) guides.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Because the Windows is ready to use in any HARDWARE configuration. You don't need to worry If it don't run in my build. The other advantage is that it can run any thing, any game, any software.

If you go for Mac OS then you have to make specific MACINTOSH Build. & There is many more cons about mac.

If you go for freeware OS like Linux or others there is gaming & software issues. You don't able to play more games. You don't have million billion software & applications. If you are programmer then you probably go for Linux or other freeware.

& The big reason is that after all it is MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

Thats true also but it isn't really what I understand this thread is wondering. Most users here are advanced ones who will tweak systems anyway. I just got BiTorrent Sync running on my laptop with only minimal terminal stuff and few good (but really badly written) guides.

It took me a week to get it to imitate the way windows renders fonts, and even after all my tweaking and a lil coding it's close I guess, but still not the same as truetype. As a web developer, this annoys the hell out of me. 

OT I mean it's just not user friendly in anyway. We need a distro that's good to go out of the box. No terminal needed, ect. Make it for the mainstream. 

Of course oems would have to support that by including it on new computers. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Because the Windows is ready to use in any HARDWARE configuration. You don't need to worry If it don't run in my build. The other advantage is that it can run any thing, any game, any software.

If you go for Mac OS then you have to make specific MACINTOSH Build. & There is many more cons about mac.

If you go for freeware OS like Linux or others there is gaming & software issues. You don't able to play more games. You don't have million billion software & applications. If you are programmer then you probably go for Linux or other freeware.

& The big reason is that after all it is MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

Lol I love the way windows works and all, but Linux has it beat by miles for supported hardware. Out of the box 95% of the time no drivers are needed. 

muh specs 

All parts black