Heaven Society - Anime Suggestion Submission

Love it when I manage to cross-post by accident.

Anyway, a couple of late-80s anime recommendations, since that's what this thread's for anyway:

City Hunter - about a hired gun/sweeper hired to clean the streets of a city, and a rather sprawling series at that. A good blend of fun stuff if you don't mind a longer action-based series that is episodic/mini-arc based, yet hasn't got much filler/tiresome repetition.

Patlabor - a mecha series for people who hate mecha series; it makes them feel more realistic and useful than you might expect, and it's really about the people and their jobs. Good films, good TV series, still holds up really well by today's standards.

Patlabor so good. I recently picked up Limited Edition releases of the movies at the anime con I went to. Pics hopefully to come soon.

Chobits

Synopsis:
In the future, personal computers have developed into "Persocoms," mobile computers that look like human beings. Hideki Motosuwa, a prep school student, desperately wants to buy a Persocom but cannot afford to. One day, he finds a Persocom that has been thrown away and decides to keep it. When he turns on the Persocom, all she can say is "Chii" so he decides to name her that. After a while, it starts to become apparent that Chii is more than an average Persocom. Having much better performance, it seems that Chii might be a "Chobit," a type of advanced Persocom rumored to have independent thought.

MAL

This sci-fi romance is IMO perhaps the most underrated show from animation studio Madhouse. At times very dramatic, at times comical but all of the time just really endearing. The spiritual predecessor to the more recent Plastic Memories by Doga Kobo. It may handle tonal shifts with all the grace of a pile of falling bricks, but the story, characters and music are all extremely enjoyable, with some conspiracy sillyness thrown in for good effect. A show that has (nearly) everything.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Chobits

Synopsis:
In the future, personal computers have developed into "Persocoms," mobile computers that look like human beings. Hideki Motosuwa, a prep school student, desperately wants to buy a Persocom but cannot afford to. One day, he finds a Persocom that has been thrown away and decides to keep it. When he turns on the Persocom, all she can say is "Chii" so he decides to name her that. After a while, it starts to become apparent that Chii is more than an average Persocom. Having much better performance, it seems that Chii might be a "Chobit," a type of advanced Persocom rumored to have independent thought.

MAL

This sci-fi romance is IMO perhaps the most underrated show from animation studio Madhouse. At times very dramatic, at times comical but all of the time just really endearing. The spiritual predecessor to the more recent Plastic Memories by Doga Kobo. It may handle tonal shifts with all the grace of a pile of falling bricks, but the story, characters and music are all extremely enjoyable, with some conspiracy sillyness thrown in for good effect. A show that has (nearly) everything.

Is there a list of what was nominated the past weeks?

// programmers paradox

try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Is there a list of what was nominated the past weeks?

yes look in chargers post on the first page.

Also just suggest stuff unless its already been chosen itll help.

yes look in chargers post on the first page.

Also just suggest stuff unless its already been chosen itll help.

I dont see a list of the previous 57 weeks nominations. Just a "how to".

// programmers paradox

try { return true; } finally { return false; }

I dont see a list of the previous 57 weeks nominations. Just a "how to".

we do not have a list of what has been in polls but you can get most of that from out spread sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wK9o-vK4VxkvQz5Mtjpes3_VodvqmzQ4eez7mzqvTes

if it has been in a poll it will say the first week that it was in a poll in the I column and if it won it would have a red won listed in the A column but we all so have a list of things that won on a different page in that sheet

Well, I figured that since everyone's gonna recommend the obvious, I might as well start recommending some stuff that tends to get overlooked.

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto.

Take a teenager's action anime, drop most of the obnoxious teenagerisms, give it a detailed story based on an era of Japanese history that isn't well-trodden, and give it good production values. In effect, it's a bit like a blend of Kenshin's Kyoto Arc and Seirei no Moribito. There are a few potential annoyances, but to this day I'm amazed at how few people know it even exists.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes (seasons one and two).

Take the most annoying elements of moe and magical girl type shows, and make fun of them as much as possible... that's basically Milky Holmes' modus operandi for the first two seasons. The heroines are dumb as soap dishes, the antagonists are hilarious exaggerations of anime tropes, and even the fanservice is a mockery of anime fanservice. It starts a bit slow, but when it hits, it hits hard.

Princess Tutu.

This is an anime about a duckling who becomes a ballerina so she can heal the heart of her fairy-tale prince. Really. And it's actually capable of being adorable, whimsical, dark - even moving. Of course it's also capable of being a touch annoying at times, but in return you get a unique anime that takes childish elements and makes a story that adults can appreciate (even if they might never admit they watched something called Princess Tutu).

Tokyo Godfathers (film).

A Christmas comedy film that actually manages to be truly funny and heartwarming, even if you hate Christmas and its related movies (or just find the idea of one boring now). For a story about coincidences, it somehow manages to pull them off without feeling trite or pretentious. It has a great eye for detail, and a colorful cast that manages to evoke both comedy and sentimentality without being too excessive.

Tentai Senshi Sunred.

Evil stirs in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture! The villanous Florsheim Organization is at it again, doing their best to take down their arch-nemesis, Astro Fighter Sunred! But instead of this being your typical Power Rangers-type series, it's a sketch-comedy exploring how things might really be if these sorts of battles took place in our mundane, work-a-day world. Some sketches may be a bit weird, like "Cooking with General Vamp", but if you like ridiculous comedies there's a lot of laughs waiting for you in this one.

Casshern Sins.

The closest thing we might ever get to a tragic opera in anime form. The lead character wakes up, only to learn that he's the one who destroyed the world. He then struggles to figure out how or why he did it, and along the way he learns of who he really is, and that he wants to protect what beauty still remains. It's melodramatic to a fault, with a flimsy narrative, but it's an anime about the heartstring-pulling moments, complete with lovely artwork and music that drowns you in the melancholy of the anime's setting. Not for everyone, but definitely a unique one for those who want to experience it.

Tweeny Witches.

A crap title for a confident anime that almost feels like a North American cartoon - but in a good way. It's about a girl who gets her wish of being whisked away into a magical world, yet it turns out to be a dystopian magical world. Unable to accept that, she sets out on a quest to save this twisted and imaginative world. No cute mascots here, and every shounen cliche is subverted in some way, to the point where even a preachy speech can't save the day. Definitely not your average moe magical girl show, though you may need some patience to see the good within the intentionally-twisted exterior.

Ayakashi and Mononoke.

Ayakashi consists of three different classic Japanese horror stories, and Mononoke continues the third (and most unique) one, Bake Neko. Really, it's Bake Neko and its continuation that are worth the price of admission here for most people. The part in Ayakashi is a bit of a rollercoaster, with a distinctive artstyle and excellent characters. Mononoke switches gears a bit to be more thought-provoking rather than horror, but it does so with good dialogue and class. If you wanted to see what a more adult-themed version of all those kiddie shows about ayakashi and exorcists would be like, this are a good pair of anime to reach for.

Giant Killing.

A sports anime? About soccer? Sounds terrible, right? And the artstyle looks rough and angular, to boot. But take it from me: I generally hate sports and their stories, and yet I found a lot to love in this typical-sounding story about an underdog team trying to rebuild themselves... by hiring the guy who they feel betrayed them and put them in the mess in the first place. It's not about making you love soccer, but getting to know the kinds of people behind it, from the team to their supporters. It really makes the most of the concept, and has a great ongoing manga to back it up.

So question for some people...

Are there any manga that are related to the previous wining anime that you would recommend?

Golden Time

Log Horizon

Steins;Gate

Wolf's Rain

Black Rock Shooter

Mirai Nikki

The Irregular at Magic High School

Hyouka

Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Zetsuen no Tempest

Cowboy Bebop

I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job

No Game No Life

Baccano!

Spice and Wolf

One Week Friends

Samurai Champloo

Desert Punk

Beyond the Boundary

Angel Beats

The Garden of Sinners

Time of Eve

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Watamote

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Clannad

Another

Higurashi

Dream Eater Merry

Bakemonogatari

Kokoro Connect

aldnoah zero

fate/zero

Knights of Sidonia

Bartender

Toradora!

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Date A Live

maoyuu maou yuusha

humanity has declined

Jormungand

White Album 2

Mushi-shi

The Garden of Words

UN-Go

A Lull in the Sea

Trigun

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Love, Election and Chocolate

Jyu-Oh-Sei

Death Parade

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Bakuman

Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Your Lie in April

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Akame ga Kill

Space Dandy

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet

And Yet The Town Moves

Nodame Cantabile

Gin no Saji

Psycho-Pass

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Servant x Service

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Food Wars!

Dragonball Movie 1 and 4

Shirobako

Girls und Panzer

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?

and I will tag that people that have been suggesting manga so far

@CatCloud @Createinator @azurezeed @RedSphyxis @BashZeStampeedo

So question for some people...

Are there any manga that are related to the previous wining anime that you would recommend?

Golden Time

Log Horizon

Steins;Gate

Wolf's Rain

Black Rock Shooter

Mirai Nikki

The Irregular at Magic High School

Hyouka

Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Zetsuen no Tempest

Cowboy Bebop

I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job

No Game No Life

Baccano!

Spice and Wolf

One Week Friends

Samurai Champloo

Desert Punk

Beyond the Boundary

Angel Beats

The Garden of Sinners

Time of Eve

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Watamote

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Clannad

Another

Higurashi

Dream Eater Merry

Bakemonogatari

Kokoro Connect

aldnoah zero

fate/zero

Knights of Sidonia

Bartender

Toradora!

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Date A Live

maoyuu maou yuusha

humanity has declined

Jormungand

White Album 2

Mushi-shi

The Garden of Words

UN-Go

A Lull in the Sea

Trigun

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Love, Election and Chocolate

Jyu-Oh-Sei

Death Parade

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Bakuman

Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Your Lie in April

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Akame ga Kill

Space Dandy

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet

And Yet The Town Moves

Nodame Cantabile

Gin no Saji

Psycho-Pass

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Servant x Service

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Food Wars!

Dragonball Movie 1 and 4

Shirobako

Girls und Panzer

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?

and I will tag that people that have been suggesting manga so far

@CatCloud @Createinator @azurezeed @RedSphyxis @BashZeStampeedo

Yes!, from the top we have

Mirai Nikki - i think the manga concludes better than the anime and there's no corners cut, tho not a lot more than what the anime was.

One Week Friends - a must, the manga does some things a little different from the anime but better and the story continues.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - another very good option, if you want more of Nozaki then read it, more fun ahead.

Bakuman - great, a very good ending and the full experience.

Your Lie in April - another must, but again not much different from the anime,it is still a good read.

Akame ga Kill - waaaay better than the anime, but if you didn't liked the premise then... but the manga gets better as it goes, and the spin-off manga Akame ga Kill Zero is a

great prologue since it adds lots of information about the universe and Akame's past.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - The manga is better than both animes, a little long but it's worth it.

Food Wars! - i think the manga looks better than the anime, the food have more impact and there's some funny moments that the anime doesn't show and the story gets more interesting than what the anime will cover.

Disclaimer: if you didn't like the anime, chances are you won't like the manga either, since those are mangas originally and the anime adapts them, some do it better than others but the core of the story it's still there. Also those are mangas i've read myself and if i didn't mention others is because i haven't read them yet or because i think the original material is better (Light Novel, Visual Novel) than the manga adaptation. :ph34r:

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

[omit huge list]

Here are some notes off the top of my head; hopefully they're not too inaccurate:

The Devil is a Part-Timer!, No Game No Life, Baccano, Bakemonogatari, and Problem Children have light novels, and the only one I know is further than the anime for sure is NGNL, though I think Devil's official translation might have crept past the anime.

Spice and Wolf has a manga and light novel. The light novel's official translation is almost done, and the manga is starting to wind down into its final arc too. The LN is the original, and is probably the best. The manga is good, however... it just skips a bunch of material (though it should at least get to the end of the story, unlike the anime).

Toradora! has the same situation as Spice and Wolf, I think, though perhaps the LN has been fully officially translated by now, and the manga seems (last I checked) to be following it more closely than the anime. I would recommend the LN first.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a weird case with (I think) multiple LNs and manga, but since the anime disappointed me so much I haven't had the will to check any of them out.

One Week Friends has a manga that ended earlier this year, and the scanlations are catching up (currently it's a volume and a half behind the end, but it's still well ahead of the anime). The anime captured the manga well, so I'd definitely recommend it if you like the anime.

Nodame Cantabile has a manga, and if you don't mind reading a manga where you have to trust that the musical performances are great, then it's fine and goes a bit further than the anime did.

Nozaki-kun has an official translation, but I'm unaware of how far it's gotten aside from "quite a bit farther than the anime". I will say that if the translation is good, then it should be as funny as the anime.

And Yet The Town Moves also has a manga that has a lot more material, and I think has fairly recently resumed. I haven't been able to sort out what's new and that I haven't read, so I'm behind on it, but it's as fun as the anime in tone and execution as far as I'm concerned, and worth checking out if you have the patience.

Akame ga Kill has a manga that people generally regard more fondly than the anime (especially with respect to the ending).

Mushi-shi's manga is long over, and the anime has mostly been a faithful adapation, if you include the series-ending film that I haven't seen yet. /inter/ can probably chime in, as I think he's seen it. I really enjoyed the manga and the anime on very similar, but vaguely different wavelengths. Hard to explain, so it's worth checking both out if you're a fan.

Trigun has its own manga that differs substantially from the anime after a while. I did a review on it on the forums somewhere, but let's just say that it's well worth it if you liked the anime and want a more fleshed-out take on the story.

Watamote has a manga that goes much further than the anime, and seems to be more of the same kind of stuff as the anime. Some people like it more than the anime, but I'm not sure why. I've read enough to know that it should be fine if you liked the anime, and want some more.

Angel Beats is getting a VN, though it's been in that state for years now so who know how long it will take or whether it'll be an improvement over the anime or just a cash-grab.

Clannad is based on a highly-regarded VN, so if you're into those then it's highly recommend to give it a try... but be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU has a light novel, and I think /inter/ can give you more info on how it stacks up compared to the anime, but I recall him saying he liked it more.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is based on a light novel, which I enjoyed quite a bit more than the anime (including the film). I read fan translations a long while ago, but I suspect the official translation is done by now, so if you want the full story then I'd recommend it. I have no idea if the manga is worth it or not.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a remake of an older anime; if you want to see a longer version of the story, with an even more retro feel to it, then it's probably worth a shot, but it's a heck of a time investment. Or you can wait for the (alleged) sequel/prequel/whatever that's rumored to be coming out sometime in the next few years.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a close adaptation of the actual manga, unlike the original FMA, which didn't have enough manga to adapt and simply made it's own story out of the rough template. If you like the anime, and ever want to revisit it, I'd say it's worth re-experiencing it via the manga.

Gin no Saji has a manga that's past the anime, but I haven't read it yet so I can't give you much info on how the two compare.

Dream Eater Merry has a manga that's quite different from the anime, since the anime didn't get far before they realized they didn't have material to get very far. The manga's a simplistic style-over-substance affair, but is okay if that's all you want.

Bakuman is based on a manga, I believe, but I have neither read the manga nor watched the anime, and I'm unaware of how the two compare or if the anime ended where the manga did.

Fate/Zero is based on a LN, but I have no idea whether it's better than the anime or how different it is.

Food Wars! is based on a manga, but I'm not sure which is better. I suspect I'd like the manga better, but not enough to justify finding out just yet. I would appreciate being able to go at my own pace compared to the anime dragging along.

Shirobako has an upcoming spin-off manga, but for some godforsaken reason it's about the dumb jet girls anime they made in Shirobako, so it sounds like a waste of time to me.

Also, I think Un-go is based on a novel (not light novel). But I have little info on that. The general rule however is that novel adaptations (as opposed to light novel adaptations) tend to be made into very good anime, but there's no way they can stack up to the novels if you like reading because there's so much more material. I'm not sure if Un-go breaks that trend, as I haven't finished the anime yet and have heard very mixed opinions on it.

Yes!, from the top we have

Here are some notes off the top of my head; hopefully they're not too inaccurate:

Thanks both of you. I'm planning to add a manga poll based off the anime that has won in the past in this weeks thread so that should be helpful in determining what to put in the poll

Alright so @Charger is doing something special this week so I thought I would go the next week. I was thinking Anime Classics. Ones that popped into my head right away are below.

Tenchi (all older variants Myo, Tokyo, Universe)

You're Under Arrest

Outlaw Star

Patlabor

These might count too:

Love Hina

School Rumble

I guess im feeling nostalgic and you guys get to join in on the fun. Do you guys have more ideas of anime that would fit into this list? If so quote this post and go at it!

You're Under Arrest

Outlaw Star

Patlabor

These might count too:

Love Hina

School Rumble

A few jump to mind:

Kenshin

Ranma 1/2

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Astro Boy

Galaxy Express 999

Maison Ikkoku

City Hunter

Space Runaway Ideon

Record of Lodoss War

Slayers

A few jump to mind:

Kenshin

Ranma 1/2

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Astro Boy

Galaxy Express 999

Maison Ikkoku

City Hunter

Space Runaway Ideon

Record of Lodoss War

Slayers

Kenshin is a bit long and too shonen. It fits the time period but id stick it with DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho. More of the "FMA of its time" (kinda).

Ranma I dont know where to go with that really, probably a bit old. Its a good one but not the right feel due to age and style.

Also the gymnastics announcer for the dub its totally the same as the one for the stadium in pokemon i swear.

Astro Boy, Galaxy Express 999, Maison Ikkoku, City Hunter are all a bit old. Those are all 80's anime at the newest If I recall. Were looking for 90's here, maybe early 00's (I think)

Record of Lodoss War and Slayers should fit the bill well, Slayers for sure

Kenshin is a bit long and too shonen. It fits the time period but id stick it with DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho. More of the "FMA of its time" (kinda).

Ranma I dont know where to go with that really, probably a bit old. Its a good one but not the right feel due to age and style.

Also the gymnastics announcer for the dub its totally the same as the one for the stadium in pokemon i swear.

Astro Boy, Galaxy Express 999, Maison Ikkoku, City Hunter are all a bit old. Those are all 80's anime at the newest If I recall. Were looking for 90's here, maybe early 00's (I think)

Record of Lodoss War and Slayers should fit the bill well, Slayers for sure

Oh.. ok. Here's a few random ones I recall being from 1990-2001 or so:

Escaflowne

GTO

Serial Experiments Lain

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Giant Robo

Cardcaptor Sakura

Big O

Crest/Banner of the Stars

Excel Saga

Haibane Renmei

His and Her Circumstances

Hellsing (the first anime)

Hare+Guu

Neo Ranga

Popolocrois Monogatari

Sci-fi Harry

Jin Roh

Outlaw Star

Simoun

-snip-

Oh.. ok. Here's a few random ones I recall being from 1990-2001 or so:

Escaflowne

GTO

Serial Experiments Lain

Giant Robo

Cardcaptor Sakura

Big O

Crest/Banner of the Stars

Excel Saga

Haibane Renmei

Hare+Guu

Neo Ranga

Popolocrois Monogatari

Sci-fi Harry

Jin Roh

Outlaw Star

Simoun

Escaflowne

GTO

Serial Experiments Lain

Big O

Banner of the Stars

Excel Saga

Haibane Renmei

Neo Ranga

Jin Roh

Cardcaptor Sakura - right thing too long kinda wrong genre

Outlaw Star - already suggested my self :P

Simoun - not all that great in my opinion

Are you guys really just going to let @BashZeStampeedo and I pick all the possible choices for the upcoming Anime Classics week? Were looking at 90's or maybe early 00's anime.

TheProfosist:

You're Under Arrest

Outlaw Star

Patlabor

Love Hina

School Rumble

BashZeStampeedo:

Record of Lodoss War

Slayers

Escaflowne

GTO

Serial Experiments Lain

Big O

Banner of the Stars

Excel Saga

Haibane Renmei

Neo Ranga

Jin Roh

Are you guys really just going to let @BashZeStampeedo and I pick all the possible choices for the upcoming Anime Classics week? Were looking at 90's or maybe early 00's anime.

Uhhhh.....

Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Why not?

Uhhhh.....

Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

If you have time for such a long series... it's huge. Plus there's a new adaptation on the way, so it might be worth holding on, given the time investment.

meh

Why not?

cause its not very nice.

Where is suggestion thread? ?_?

its in here now :P

Its one week. Fred doesnt even give us options sometimes.

I said it was starting in a week not that it was one week. So now that I give you options you dont want them? the internet is so fickle.

i like where Prof is going.

Atw1nyW.gif

dont forget Cyborg 009 and Macross.

Those are good but original Macross will be close wont it? Might have to go with a later series

For October why not make it demon, horror, and dark themed?  Devilman, Berserk, Hellsing, Demon Lord Dante, Baoh, Yu Yu Hakusho, and so on?

maybe for one week but not the whole month

Yes.

:)

your saying that after you already suggested something.