Android L improves battery life by 36%

dizmo

Looks like Project Volta actually had quite a significant impact! I think it's great seeing some improvements to battery life, even if it's not the doubling that can be had by using new technologies and designs that already exist.

That one week battery life really wouldn't be overly hard to achieve if we stuck to smaller 1080p displays and OEM's actually put the 5000+ mah batteries we see in some overseas phones into their flagships.

Google discovered waking the device for a second takes away about 2 minutes of standby time. And this doesn’t necessarily involve turning the screen on, this happens every time an app wants to perform a background action and wakes the processor. The new JobScheduler API allows these tasks to be grouped together, instead of having them act individually.

battery-life.jpg

Hopefully we only see future increases in battery life through optimizations like this.

Starting to be more and more happy with my Nexus purchase.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/android-l-battery-life-399706/

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

And to those of us running the developer release we are seeing a 2x decrease in battery life!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Is this like Nvidia saying '60% performance increases!'?

About, yeah.

Slightly off the topic but what's up with the name Android L? Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat......L. Is it for Lime or something?

And to those of us running the developer release we are seeing a 2x decrease in battery life!

serious ?

btw what is missing for the final release vs developer build ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hope so, because the battery on my Nexus 5 isn't the greatest I've ever seen. I could use the extra 30%.

However I don't believe that we will see an increase of 36%, more like 10, but anything is a positive so I can't really complain.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Sounds wonderful. By the time I upgrade, Android 5.0 should be out with the new flagship Nexus device - hopefully by the end of the year. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Looks like Project Volta actually had quite a significant impact! I think it's great seeing some improvements to battery life, even if it's not the doubling that can be had by using new technologies and designs that already exist.

That one week battery life really wouldn't be overly hard to achieve if we stuck to smaller 1080p displays and OEM's actually put the 5000+ mah batteries we see in some overseas phones into their flagships.

-snip-

Hopefully we only see future increases in battery life through optimizations like this.

I call BS. I too have the L preview installed and in full power mode you're lucky to get 6 hours.

The first day I had to recharge within hours. Second day I turned battery saver mode on and got through a full day with no trouble but with crippled performance.

Although Today I turned on low power mode in developer options and its been 11 hours and I'm at 60% still. moderate use today.

This is however nothing compared to Kitkat. After 16 hours I was still at 70% with moderate use so defiantly not as good.

Tomorrow I intend trying with Low power mode and battery saver to see what happens.

This is the kind of thing I might be likely to believe if it was the final / stable build.

serious ?

btw what is missing for the final release vs developer build ?

There is quite a lot missing. Some menus still contain the old interface, I'm not sure but I have a feeling the app drawer will see some sort of overhaul. Its probably easier to mention what has changed.

- New Lock screen

- New Notification draw and quick settings (panel/draw)

- New Dialer

- New settings interface (mostly)

- New Calc

- New-er Camera App

- New back, Home and multitasking icons

- Forced ART Runtime

- some slightly tweaked interfaces... e.g. extra google now settings.

But remember this is a developer preview. Its full of bugs. I wouldn't remember using it as a daily driver.

I Really wish they would fix the initial setup. When you have 2 step authentication on your google account and it asks you for the code they SMS you, You can't receive messages until setup is complete. So you have to cancel the Google account setup finalise the settings then go back and add your account afterwards. This has been a problem since they added 2 step authentication.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I Really wish they would fix the initial setup. When you have 2 step authentication on your google account and it asks you for the code they SMS you, You can't receive messages until setup is complete. So you have to cancel the Google account setup finalise the settings then go back and add your account afterwards. This has been a problem since they added 2 step authentication.

Every single time i forget about this and just end up going onto my desktop to disable 2-step, logging into the phone/tablet, and then re-enabling. Horrible way to do it but because of the shitty format they have its the fastest for me.

Not great that their security needs to get disabled any time i want to do something productive.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

If they can really improve battery life by that much, I would be amazed.

Slightly off the topic but what's up with the name Android L? Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat......L. Is it for Lime or something?

keylime pie is what most people assume

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

keylime pie is what most people assume

they wouldn't use the codename of an already existing version (KitKat) and use it as a name for a new one.

Lime, Lollipop, or something that doesn't even start with L at all since it is just a codename.

they wouldn't use the codename of an already existing version (KitKat) and use it as a name for a new one.

Lime, Lollipop, or something that doesn't even start with L at all since it is just a codename.

what

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

what

I'm hoping for Lamington. although I don't know how well that would translate globally.

Android versions have been names alphabetically after deserts.

cupcake, doughnut, eclair, Frozen Yoghurt (Froyo), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly bean, KitKat .... And next is android L (Rumor is Lollipop)

(If you're wondering why it starts from C, version 1 and 1.1 never had desert names, so they implied they would've been a and b if they had them)

edit: So what he was getting at, is that the rumoured code name for KitKat was Key Lime Pie being a K. It turned out to be KitKat instead.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Do you believe google to this sh**? I don't. Still Android works laggy and crash, like project butter year ago...

really? I'm running it, and actually do feel like there is a better battery life on my nexus 5

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Is this like Nvidia saying '60% performance increases!'? 

Eh I feel like it's probably not impossible for 36% when it comes to battery. Wait and findout i guess.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you believe google to this sh**? I don't. Still Android works laggy and crash, like project butter year ago...

I disagree. Project Butter did a significant improvement between Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. I am running a quite old Nexus S and I can tell you that Project Butter worked quite well for me.

Yes, Android is more buggy/laggy than IOS most of the time. The difference is that Android supports tons and tons of devices while IOS supports only iPhones/iPads. It is much like comparing Apple and Microsoft. Apple allows its OS to run only on the devices/systems that it supports/sell while Microsoft supports pretty much every component on the market. Windows is more flexible, but more buggy than IOS. It is the same thing for Android.

There is also the fact that Apple reviews pretty much all apps before releasing on the Apple Store while Google don't do as much. So someone can release an app which work perfectly for the Nexus 5, but is quite buggy and resource intensive for another phone.

Android is no where near perfect, but I wouldn't replace my Nexus S with anything else yet.

can i get Android L On My LG G2 ???

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

really? I'm running it, and actually do feel like there is a better battery life on my nexus 5

Man I really wish I could say the same.  When I went in to it I was expecting a dev preview though so it didn't really surprise me. But I think this has gotten so much more attention that a lot of casual users are switching and then having a fit when it doesn't work properly.

I can still get a day with the assistance of low power mode so I am stoked. It also runs significantly hotter than it did with KitKat.

Spoiler

Keep in mind this is a developer preview!  I'm sure in the fall it will be smooth. :)