Windows 9 Preview Expected For End of the Year

GoodBytes

I thought Vista was 07 then 7 in 10.

googled them

Vista - January 07

7 - October 22, 2009

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Going by Microsofts past OS releases W9 is going to be great. But then again they could fuck it up entirely and we get another w8/8.1 and from their it would just be a downward spiral to where Sega is today. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Going by Microsofts past OS releases W9 is going to be great. But then again they could fuck it up entirely and we get another w8/8.1 and from their it would just be a downward spiral to where Sega is today. 

Exactly.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well, hopefully 'Windows 9' will be good, because that's how the cycle goes: Every other Windows OS is good. Although, Windows 8 really wasn't that bad... All they needed to do was give people the option to choose between the Metro UI and the desktop and there would have been far fewer complaints. Either way, they're doing it now, so whatever.

Excited to see what Microsoft is making this time around.

COMIC SANS

Maybe Windows should do this. Customers should decide what version they want. They should create a more touch-oriented Windows 9, and then there could be a more desktop-oriented Windows 9. Customers can then choose what version they want. They can make more money that way, and then you have more satisfied customers. But it may come out stupid, who knows.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well, hopefully 'Windows 9' will be good, because that's how the cycle goes: Every other Windows OS is good. Although, Windows 8 really wasn't that bad... All they needed to do was give people the option to choose between the Metro UI and the desktop and there would have been far fewer complaints. Either way, they're doing it now, so whatever.

This cycle doesn't work.

Of course because I just got Windows 8.1

Every 3 years you have a new Windows, the exception was XP. But stay tune for Windows 9 early special, might be not too bad, if Microsoft offers Windows 9 Pro for 40$. And remember, it is the preview release in end 2015. It will be in Spring 2015 it will be released.. and that is assuming no delay and that the rumors are correct. The worst if buying Windows and the next week the new version of Windows comes out officially.

meh

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Agreed. Hopefully they'll actually give us options this time around.

I know a lot of people won't even touch a Windows 8 machine because it's "Windows 8". I've offered to teach them, but they are so scared or disgusted with the looks and design of the OS.

Oh well. I'm using Windows 8 right now and it's going pretty smooth except for a few hiccups. My hard drive issue has disappeared. I haven't even touched Metro except for once when I had to diagnose a display issue.

This cycle doesn't work.

You've said this a few times, yet offer no explanation. How does this cycle not work?

Windows 3.1     Good

Windows 95      Bad

Windows 98      Good

Windows ME     Bad

Windows XP      Good

Windows Vista  Bad

Windows 7        Good

Windows 8        Bad

Windows 9         -

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

You've said this a few times, yet offer no explanation. How does this cycle not work?

Windows 3.1     Good

Windows 95      Bad

Windows 98      Good

Windows ME     Bad

Windows XP      Good

Windows Vista  Bad

Windows 7        Good

Windows 8        Bad

Windows 9         -

Vista was good if you had a gaming PC, where it had the video memory needed, pixel shader 2.0, true dual core, and RAM.

But regardless.

Windows_Updated_Family_Tree.png

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows)

You are missing Windows 1, 2, NT3.x, NT4.x, Windows 2000.

And you forgot that XP was hated deeply. Vista style.

Vista was good if you had a gaming PC, where it had the video memory needed, pixel shader 2.0, true dual core, and RAM.

But regardless.

Windows_Updated_Family_Tree.png

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows)

You are missing Windows 1, 2, NT3.x, NT4.x, Windows 2000.

And you forgot that XP was hated deeply. Vista style.

Windows NT and 2000 were not mainstream operating systems or intended for home use. They were 'enterprise' operating systems designed for office use. Mobile and server operating systems are excluded for the same reason. XP may have been initially hated, but that hate was greatly subdued over time, unlike Vista which is still hated today. Looking back, I can't think of anything bad about XP, except for the creation of Comic Sans. I stand by the categorizing of Windows XP as a 'good' operating system.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I never hated Vista, or had any problems with it. I've stuck with it from the beginning.

oh Dear Microsoft

Yesterday playing with my HTPC and thinking "oh windows 8.1 looks promising for this enviroment" and guess what? my old AMD Atlhon 64 X2 6000+ 3.5Ghz capable of playing 1080p movies couldnt display proper 1080p (1280x1024ish) due incompatibility with the Microsoft Basic Displaty Adapater... WTF!

I hope you build W9 from zero.

Windows NT and 2000 were not mainstream operating systems or intended for home use. They were 'enterprise' operating systems designed for office use. Mobile and server operating systems are excluded for the same reason. XP may have been initially hated, but that hate was greatly subdued over time, unlike Vista which is still hated today. Looking back, I can't think of anything bad about XP, except for the creation of Comic Sans. I stand by the categorizing of Windows XP as a 'good' operating system.

Windows NT and 2000 were running on company computers. Sorry, but you can't brush it aside. Windows 2000 was also available mainstream.

Windows 1, was bad, so by your logic 3.x was not... but it was.

Windows 95 was ground breaking, Windows 98 was full of bugs and issues. People liked it, because they got the adequate system specification to run it, and you had the most non-DOS games, as Windows got more and more popular, but it wasn't a great OS, nor security wise with IE in folders with ActiveX control, which lead to serious security vulnerability.

Also, based on your system, if we ignore Windows 2000, as you choose then Windows Me would end up being good. If not, then XP would be bad, which is correct, but you are saying it is good.

oh Dear Microsoft

Yesterday playing with my HTPC and thinking "oh windows 8.1 looks promising for this enviroment" and guess what? my old AMD Atlhon 64 X2 6000+ 3.5Ghz capable of playing 1080p movies couldnt display proper 1080p (1280x1024ish) due incompatibility with the Microsoft Basic Displaty Adapater... WTF!

I hope you build W9 from zero.

Windows 8 runs fine on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on Socket 939, with 3GB of RAM DDR1, at full 1920x1200.

Make sure you have a compatible graphic card. You can push in Windows 7 drivers. They work.

Windows NT and 2000 were running on company computers. Sorry, but you can't brush it aside. Windows 2000 was also available mainstream.

Windows 1, was bad, so by your logic 3.x was not... but it was.

Windows 95 was ground breaking, Windows 98 was full of bugs and issues. People liked it, because they got the adequate system specification to run it, and you had the most non-DOS games, as Windows got more and more popular, but it wasn't a great OS, nor security wise with IE in folders with ActiveX control, which lead to serious security vulnerability.

Also, based on your system, if we ignore Windows 2000, as you choose then Windows Me would end up being good. If not, then XP would be bad, which is correct, but you are saying it is good.

"Windows NT and 2000 were running on company computers. Sorry, but you can't brush it aside. Windows 2000 was also available mainstream."

The official successor to Windows 98 was Windows ME. Windows NT running on company computers is the point I'm trying to make, as office use is the intended purpose of the NT line. Regardless of its availability, Windows 2000 was still part of the NT line and designed for commercial and enterprise use in server+client environments just like the rest of them. They are not part of the commonly known Windows lineage.

"Windows 1, was bad, so by your logic 3.x was not... but it was."

I never mentioned Windows 1, as the pattern doesn't go back that far and it doesn't need to. All that is required for it to be a cycle is that from point 'X' onwards there is a noticeable repetition. The cycle starts with 3.1x

"Windows 95 was ground breaking, Windows 98 was full of bugs and issues. People liked it, because they got the adequate system specification to run it, and you had the most non-DOS games, as Windows got more and more popular, but it wasn't a great OS, nor security wise with IE in folders with ActiveX control, which lead to serious security vulnerability."

98 was more stable, had less bugs, and better support than 95 (for obvious reasons) and that's what people like. It doesn't matter that 95 was ground breaking, it was still bad. Guess what else was/is 'ground breaking'? Windows Vista and Windows 8. Time has shown repeatedly that Innovation ≠ good. Like you said, it may be coincidence that people liked 98 due to the hardware and games available at the time, but XP is in the same boat with the dot-com bubble and the rapid adoption of the internet. Being at the right place at the right time makes all the difference, people never remember specifics, just the overall feel of their experience.

"Also, based on your system, if we ignore Windows 2000, as you choose then Windows Me would end up being good. If not, then XP would be bad, which is correct, but you are saying it is good."

You have this idea that it needs to start at the beginning with Windows 1, when it it is not required for there to still be a noticeable pattern.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

Will windows 9 be a free upgrade if you have windows 8.1?

Was it free to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1? If not, then most likely no. This is Microsoft we're talking about...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Windows 8 runs fine on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on Socket 939, with 3GB of RAM DDR1, at full 1920x1200.

Make sure you have a compatible graphic card. You can push in Windows 7 drivers. They work.

Is that the PC you use to astroturf with most of the time and post 3-4 MS related news stories a week, while defending MS in every thread in this forum (without stating who you work for or represent which is a joke) and being obvious as hell as to what you do for a living?

As for Win 9? Hooray. Is DX 12 going to be on it initially? I can't wait until we get DX 12. Devs don't even use DX 11.2 because it is withheld from 7. Can't wait until we get a new API that devs won't use.

Oh wait that is all the consumers fault. We didn't realize that Microsoft has the right to tax us 100 dollars every 3 years (per the statements in this thread you made) to game on the PC, and that until we give in and pay this tax, we don't get games on the newest API. Silly us.  

Seriously can the forum mod put a MS tag by this guys name? If you are going allow an obvious MS astroturfer to sell and protect a company 24/7 on a forum you should have the company logo on his user name. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Is that the PC you use to astroturf with most of the time and post 3-4 MS related news stories a week, while defending MS in every thread in this forum (without stating who you work for or represent which is a joke) and being obvious as hell as to what you do for a living?

As for Win 9? Hooray. Is DX 12 going to be on it initially? I can't wait until we get DX 12. Devs don't even use DX 11.2 because it is withheld from 7. Can't wait until we get a new API that devs won't use.

Oh wait that is all the consumers fault. We didn't realize that Microsoft has the right to tax us 100 dollars every 3 years (per the statements in this thread you made) to game on the PC, and that until we give in and pay this tax, we don't get games on the newest API. Silly us.  

Seriously can the forum mod put a MS tag by this guys name? If you are going allow an obvious MS astroturfer to sell and protect a company 24/7 on a forum you should have the company logo on his user name. 

I couldn't help but laugh while looking at this and then immediately remember the "trusted advisor" tag under his avatar  :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

I've thought he works for MS for a long time, I asked him about it once but he assures me he does not. If that's the case I don't understand the appearances in or OP of the largest percentile of MS threads on this forum.

I can't prove it, so I just take him with a pinch of salt because a bias is to be expected with him, and the reasons for why are kind of irrelevant after the fact.

I've thought he works for MS for a long time, I asked him about it once but he assures me he does not. If that's the case I don't understand the appearances in or OP of the largest percentile of MS threads on this forum.

I can't prove it, so I just take him with a pinch of salt because a bias is to be expected with him, and the reasons for why are kind of irrelevant after the fact.

He doesn't work for MS. He works for an advertising company that is hired by MS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579641

This happens on most tech forums with MS and game forums as well. When they are this blatantly obvious though? It gets tiring. Salesmen do not belong on a tech forum, and if they are here they should have a company logo. I have seen coolermaster salesmen on this forum, but they have a tag and that is fine.

This is nothing new for MS and this has been company policy for a long time.

Comes Vs Microsoft court case where MS documents came out, with the plan to buy out media, reviewers, infiltrate messageboards and manipulate people.  See page 55 under "Mopping up". 
"Ideally use of competing technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as in "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2. Just keep rubbing it in, via the PRESS, analysts, newsgroups, whatever".

This is how MS operates. They also will impersonate dead people to "write in" support for Microsoft and they still continue this practice of astroturfing and it is getting ridiculous at this point.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/01/20/is-microsoft-paying-youtubers-to-promote-xbox-one/

http://techrights.org/2011/12/26/microsoft-and-nokia-astroturf/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

He doesn't work for MS. He works for an advertising company that is hired by MS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579641

This happens on most tech forums with MS and game forums as well. When they are this blatantly obvious though? It gets tiring. Salesmen do not belong on a tech forum, and if they are here they should have a company logo. I have seen coolermaster salesmen on this forum, but they have a tag and that is fine.

This is nothing new for MS and this has been company policy for a long time.

Comes Vs Microsoft court case where MS documents came out, with the plan to buy out media, reviewers, infiltrate messageboards and manipulate people.  See page 55 under "Mopping up". 
"Ideally use of competing technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as in "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2. Just keep rubbing it in, via the PRESS, analysts, newsgroups, whatever".

This is how MS operates. They also will impersonate dead people to "write in" support for Microsoft and they still continue this practice of astroturfing and it is getting ridiculous at this point.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/01/20/is-microsoft-paying-youtubers-to-promote-xbox-one/

http://techrights.org/2011/12/26/microsoft-and-nokia-astroturf/

Interesting, I always assumed that 'astroturfing' was actually directly carried out by the company (hiring people to do it) rather than contracted out.

Of those things you have just shown me, I was aware of the youtuber Xbone promotions because youtuber Boogie2988 basically turned down their offer and decided to tell everyone about it by making a video (props to him for that).

To be honest nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to corporations and the behaviours exhibited to further interest, I have read into the operations of Monsanto for example.

My obvious question is, if indeed it is as you say and he is a Microsoft astroturfer, why do you think that he is allowed to continue about his business on this forum when other affiliates are tagged appropriately? That's kind of important.