Windows 9 Preview Expected For End of the Year

GoodBytes

You've said this a few times, yet offer no explanation. How does this cycle not work?

Windows 3.1     Good

Windows 95      Bad

Windows 98      Good

Windows ME     Bad

Windows XP      Good

Windows Vista  Bad

Windows 7        Good

Windows 8        Bad

Windows 9         -

I think a few influential people started saying this and everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and supports them...

Below are my thoughts on their releases. All the hate on Windows 8 drives me nuts, it takes about 10 minutes to change a few settings and a week of using it and you realize how much better it is, but 90% of people who say they don't like it won't even give it an hour of their time to actually decide if it is good or not, or don't look into seeing if there are ways to make it work better for them. My main issues were the defaulted Modern UI picture/movie/music viewers (that can be set back to Windows Picture Viewer and WMP) and the PITA to get to power button... which they did fix, even though it took them a hell of a lot longer than it should have.

Had Microsoft just re-released Win7 with a few tweaks and slapped Win8 branding on it, I'll bet everyone would have flipped shit about that as well. I'm glad they are trying new things.

Windows 3.1     Didn't use

Windows 95      Don't really remember using it much

Windows 98      Good

Windows ME     Horrible

Windows XP      Decent... lots of issues personally

Windows Vista  Good

Windows 7        Better

Windows 8        Best

Windows 9         Bester?

OMG YOU VISTA HATERS. JUST STOP. JUST STOP HATING THE OS. IT'S A FINE OS THAT IS STILL FINE FOR GAMING. JUST STOP HATING

/rant

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't mind going off topic a little bit specially when it's 4 pages into a topic that won't bother people looking for the news on the first page, you're the one that likes to call out what's against forum rules and what not even when I don't see you as an official moderator and hence should NEVER bring that up.

I do mind. And I am sure many people here do mind as well.

As for me reporting posts and reminding forum rules. That is why there is a report button. Mods can't be everywhere, and I like this forum, I like... most... people in here, and I don't want Linus to get a Cease and Desist letter, interrupting the forum activity during a clean up process, and that is if Microsoft lawyers are being nice that day, or the company being involved in the discussion.

I do mind. And I am sure many people here do mind as well.

As for me reporting posts and reminding forum rules. That is why there is a report button. Mods can't be everywhere, and I like this forum, I like... most... people in here, and I don't want Linus to get a Cease and Desist letter, interrupting the forum activity during a clean up process, and that is if Microsoft lawyers are being nice that day, or the company being involved in the discussion.

Oh I'm sure that if they wanted to they already have a case thanks to you buddy!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Will windows 9 be a free upgrade if you have windows 8.1?

Most likely not (considering Microsoft's habbit), still it hopefully won't be as expensive as Windows is now.  :wacko:

I thought Vista was 07 then 7 in 10.

6 and 9 

i wish it is

Highly doubt it. One can always though.

I will save money for windows 9 copy, but if its not what i want ill just pass.

Directx12 included.

Lots of customizable stuff,and to allow user made content,epecially for themes and menus and such im sick of 3rd party plugins and crappy broken themes.

*Better performance.

Optional i seriously hope they make the desktop and the windows in W9 fluent and gpu accelerated like metro, but with all the options you have on desktop and power user/mouse+keyb user friendly.

The old style windows and such are outdated but metro is a baby,not man enough to take over,thats why i hope for some really crazy stuff in W9,since windows 7 they did nothing great just prototypes released as official versions.

I will save money for windows 9 copy, but if its not what i want ill just pass.

Directx12 included.

Lots of customizable stuff,and to allow user made content,epecially for themes and menus and such im sick of 3rd party plugins and crappy broken themes.

*Better performance.

Optional i seriously hope they make the desktop and the windows in W9 fluent and gpu accelerated like metro, but with all the options you have on desktop and power user/mouse+keyb user friendly.

The old style windows and such are outdated but metro is a baby,not man enough to take over,thats why i hope for some really crazy stuff in W9,since windows 7 they did nothing great just prototypes released as official versions.

Seriously? DX12 is coming out on Windows 9?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I doubt that the Preview will be made available to the public. This could be an OEM Preview for PC Manufacturers/hardware providers to better develop drivers, improvr and update hardware, and to give them a general feel for the OS along with probably sseting up OEM Windows Activation/license files.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I doubt that the Preview will be made available to the public. This could be an OEM Preview for PC Manufacturers/hardware providers to better develop drivers, improvr and update hardware, and to give them a general feel for the OS along with probably sseting up OEM Windows Activation/license files.

What makes you think that? They did a preview for 8, one for 8.1, one for WP 8.1, and one for Server 2012. Probably for 7 too, but I wasn't paying attention to it back then.

To the people that actually think Win8.1 sucks:

You're stupid

And I'll probably buy the upgrade edition just like I did when Windows 8 first came out. I am still not regretting upgrading. Windows 8 was a massive improvement to performance, and general computing

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

The desktop is already GPU accelerated. The content isn't, as this is for the application to decide how it creates it's content.

The mouse cursor is also isn't GPU accelerated, but what won't give you any advantage, you never see the CPU spike, even on super old computers, when you moved the mouse.

You've said this a few times, yet offer no explanation. How does this cycle not work?

Windows 3.1     Good

Windows 95      Bad

Windows 98      Good

Windows ME     Bad

Windows XP      Good

Windows Vista  Bad

Windows 7        Good

Windows 8        Bad

Windows 9         -

Explain to me how Windows 95 is bad.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Also, I don't see Windows 2000 mentioned

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

To the people that actually think Win8.1 sucks:

You're stupid

And I'll probably buy the upgrade edition just like I did when Windows 8 first came out. I am still not regretting upgrading. Windows 8 was a massive improvement to performance, and general computing

Ok and now it's ignore list update time, lets see we've got Phillyphries and while we're at it Goodbytes

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well. What Microsoft was aiming is that instead of having Windows 8, and then wait 3 years for Windows 9. You have upgrades in between for free. They went with this approach to stay competitive with other OSs which get often upgraded on the mobile and desktop space (MacOS, Android, iOS)

Yea i know but i thought they were tryin to extend a full new os to at lest 5 years. I know why it didnt work out but still.

This cycle doesn't work.

agreed, people easily forget things it seems.

Vista was good if you had a gaming PC, where it had the video memory needed, pixel shader 2.0, true dual core, and RAM.

But regardless.

*snip*

And you forgot that XP was hated deeply. Vista style.

As long as you had a decent PC vista was fine. The mimium specs on it were lower at one point otherwise none of intel's integrated GPU's would qualify for compatibility and since those were in lower end systems they lowere the entire spec to match. It was for the most part a resource hog but still had many features that once you got used to going back to XP was kinda hard.

Ok and now it's ignore list update time, lets see we've got Phillyphries and while we're at it Goodbytes

Oh, you're just a cool person ain't cha

Wow I was going to rely to me starting on page 3 but man sis this thread get out of hand quick!

Wow I was going to rely to me starting on page 3 but man sis this thread get out of hand quick!

i was like lost when i came here  :P

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

It sucks. There is no USB support until Windows 98. I couldn't use a USB flash drive with my old IBM laptop.

It sucks. There is no USB support until Windows 98. I couldn't use a USB flash drive with my old IBM laptop.

huh 95 had usb support. you may have needed drivers though, Either way that would have likly been a USB 1.1 port so IDk if yo uwould have wanted to transfer anything with it.

i was like lost when i came here  :P

Well I can see why.

Also, I don't see Windows 2000 mentioned

I just explained this to Goodbytes.

The official successor to Windows 98 was Windows ME. Windows NT running on company computers is the point I'm trying to make, as office use is the intended purpose of the NT line. Regardless of its availability, Windows 2000 was still part of the NT line and designed for commercial and enterprise use in server+client environments just like the rest of them. They are not part of the commonly known Windows lineage.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I just explained this to Goodbytes.

Anyone who was smart got 2000 even for home use. ME just like getting any non pro edition win 7/8 didnt so any real networking stuff so even if you have a small home network it was a pain in that reguard. I know first hand how much of a pain ME was. I actually still have a ME upgrade disc. As for 2000 my meory is hasy on but I do rememver clean installing it to do away with ME and the fact that it became super stable and that well into XP's life many companies choose to use it over XP. That was basically until XP SP2 and definitely SP3.

That reminds me you know what really needs another service pack? WINDOWS 7!