Windows 9 Preview Expected For End of the Year

GoodBytes

Pretty excited for the Windows 8.1 Update 2 update as it has the windowed metro apps I am looking forward to. Wonder if they will do a UI change for Windows 9 or will just stick with the Windows 8.1 UI and add new features and call it Windows 9. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Interesting, I always assumed that 'astroturfing' was actually directly carried out by the company (hiring people to do it) rather than contracted out.

Of those things you have just shown me, I was aware of the youtuber Xbone promotions because youtuber Boogie2988 basically turned down their offer and decided to tell everyone about it by making a video (props to him for that).

To be honest nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to corporations and the behaviours exhibited to further interest, I have read into the operations of Monsanto for example.

My obvious question is, if indeed it is as you say and he is a Microsoft astroturfer, why do you think that he is allowed to continue about his business on this forum when other affiliates are tagged appropriately? That's kind of important.

As far as why not kicked off? They usually contribute to the site they astroturf, so until it is just blatantly obvious they are not kicked. Goodbytes is obvious because he can be found defending the Xbox One, DirectX, selling Windows 8, defending all things MS on this forum. He is smarter than the average astroturfer though. He will post other tech stories every once in awhile, but mainly MS. 

If this forum had total post history, a glance and his profile would be laughable. 

When you call them out you are usually tag teamed by 3-4 of them, questioning the intellect of the person calling them out etc. 

I don't mind people selling a product but astroturfing isn't exactly "legal". These people should simply have a MS tag on their name. When they officially represent someone, then people take their views and statements and arguments with a grain of salt. When they impersonate a "pc gamer" "pc enthusiast" that is when it crosses the line.  

I mean hell me, you and 3 other guys could post 24/7 on this forum and get people to switch from noctua to some other fan company, and that is without MS's budget and ability to have "independant" articles written that their astroturfers can link to.

Example? DX 12 was said to make the Xbox One 2-3 times more powerful from some "independant" guy. Astroturfers would link to that "independant statement". MS is not responsible for the false, outrageous claim.

So let's say we wanted to sell fans for another company then Noctua. We can then use proxies like this (that update every few minutes), to create multiple identities from all around the world. You don't need all that many people to change perception. Me and 3 other guys with 10 identities, commenting on other articles other than case fans, then say we have some "benchmarks" the company paid for or endorsements. You can see why MS does it. Very effective, very cheap, and works very well.

http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't understand all the hate for Windows 8. At first it doesn't look that good but after a day or 2 you get so used to it, you can't even imagine yourself with Windows 7.

I upgraded to Windows 8 about a year ago and it runs faster on my shitty laptop than the previous Windows 7. Start up time is faster, switching windows is faster and it has a lot of great features. I like to keep my desktop clean so the start menu is very useful for me and you can simply open it with Windows key and start typing whatever you want to open, that you could find in the start button on Winows 7, much faster. 

Saying that Windows releases 1 good and 1 bad OS after isn't always true. I agree with Vista being a failure, even MS admited that, but everything else has been great.

I guess some people can't upgrade just because a matter of principle or they are biased.

He doesn't work for MS. He works for an advertising company that is hired by MS.

I still don't see it: I worked first for xbox support for 2 years and then another year or so doing backoffice for MS (I was a scorecard bitch for all north america and south american numbers) and I still hated their fucking bullshit particularly cause I get to saw a good chunk of it from the inside.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't understand all the hate for Windows 8. At first it doesn't look that good but after a day or 2 you get so used to it, you can't even imagine yourself with Windows 7.

I upgraded to Windows 8 about a year ago and it runs faster on my shitty laptop than the previous Windows 7. Start up time is faster, switching windows is faster and it has a lot of great features. I like to keep my desktop clean so the start menu is very useful for me and you can simply open it with Windows key and start typing whatever you want to open, that you could find in the start button on Winows 7, much faster. 

Saying that Windows releases 1 good and 1 bad OS after isn't always true. I agree with Vista being a failure, even MS admited that, but everything else has been great.

I guess some people can't upgrade just because a matter of principle or they are biased.

There you go :). Like I said it is laughable. Smarter than the average astroturfer and definitely not the 11 dollar an hour variety, but obviously working for team MS. 

Can I re-use a Windows 7 code?

photo-1241.png?_r=0 Posted by GoodBytes on 13 March 2014 - 01:28 PM in Operating Systems and Software

That goes against license agreement of Windows, which you agreed upon when you first started your laptop.

Also, such discussion goes against forum rules.

That is my favorite. Really hard telling the automated man on the windows line "one computer" and putting Win 7 OEM on a new computer. They did away with the OEM crap in Win 8. If it works on 7? Why is he protecting a profit margin? Because he works for/represents that company.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

There you go :). Like I said it is laughable. Smarter than the average astroturfer and definitely not the 11 dollar an hour variety, but obviously working for team MS. 

Can I re-use a Windows 7 code?

photo-1241.png?_r=0 Posted by GoodBytes on 13 March 2014 - 01:28 PM in Operating Systems and Software

That goes against license agreement of Windows, which you agreed upon when you first started your laptop.

Also, such discussion goes against forum rules.

That is my favorite. Really hard telling the automated man on the windows line "one computer" and putting Win 7 OEM on a new computer. They did away with the OEM crap in Win 8. If it works on 7? Why is he protecting a profit margin? Because he works for/represents that company.

the-departed-2006--18.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, if they do a UI redesign, they should bring back Aero. I loved it, until Metro shattered my heart.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

windows incarnation's is completely not working and false. Maybe in your head if you skip versions of Windows. But it has been proven time and time again how it doesn't work.

Um, 98 was good, 2000 sucked, xp was great, vista sucked, windows 7 was pretty good, windows 8 is awful, and let's hope for Windows 9 holding the pattern.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Vista didn't suck. It brought nice new features, like Aero, and better RAM utilization, unlike XP.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Vista didn't suck. It brought nice new features, like Aero, and better RAM utilization, unlike XP.

And more security problems than anyone knew what to do with as well as the most enraging system for enabling good gaming. Vista was awful on user experience and great on features. And Aero seems to be your thing, but most of us could care less.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Windows 8 runs fine on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on Socket 939, with 3GB of RAM DDR1, at full 1920x1200.

Make sure you have a compatible graphic card. You can push in Windows 7 drivers. They work.

Oh yeah but the problems is the integrated video solution Ati Radeon 2100, it's just fine with a graphics card but my Silverstone HTPC is so small for a discrete GPU and i found XMBC being better solution.

I'll be buying it if the manage to increase the performance.

I'll likely pick up the developer RC.

Couldn't give a shit about a mini or micro start menu.  The tiles are fine for all 0.0005% of my time that I spend on that screen.  All the whiners won't like it anyway because it won't be as good as the obviously better Start Menu from 95/98SE/NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7.

Sure it took me a week or two to adjust to not having it, but what is so good about Start?  Win+R and Win+Q removes pretty much all of it's uses if you know what you're doing.

Going back to Win 7 even on these behemoth workstations feels very slow and old and clunky, just as Vista did before 7.  well.. ok that was shite to start with :P...*ahem* Just as XP did before 7, just as 2000 and 98SE did before XP.

Is that the PC you use to astroturf with most of the time

Sooo, because you have a problem, and I suggested a solution, I am astroturfing?! And I apparently automatically work for Microsoft, or contracted by Microsoft in some fashion?

WTF! Do you hear yourself?

DO what you want, I could not care less. If you think I am astroturfing, I would be like "Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to low cost computers, so that you buy another license of Windows, and help push PC sales, in the hope you don't get an Android or Chromebook device".

and post 3-4 MS related news stories a week, while defending MS in every thread in this forum (without stating who you work for or represent which is a joke) and being obvious as hell as to what you do for a living?

As I said, I try to report news that others don't. If you look at the date and time of most news, they were released at the early in the day, or the previous day.

The only time I report asap, is when it is something big, like Windows, new exiting GPU, and such. Something that affect most people here.

As for Win 9? Hooray. Is DX 12 going to be on it initially? I can't wait until we get DX 12. Devs don't even use DX 11.2 because it is withheld from 7. Can't wait until we get a new API that devs won't use.

Form my understanding DirectX 12 will be on Windows 8. So if you want to skip Windows 9, that is fine.

Devs are slowly dropping DX9, as more and more people have DX10 or higher support, and XP is virtually gone in market share, where probably it is being seen as non potential gamers by studios. Similarly for OpenGL, Devs don't use the latest OpenGL version either, as while it is not related to Windows version (which helps), it is related with percentage of gamers with a compatible GPU. It will come, but takes time on both.

Oh wait that is all the consumers fault. We didn't realize that Microsoft has the right to tax us 100 dollars every 3 years (per the statements in this thread you made) to game on the PC, and that until we give in and pay this tax, we don't get games on the newest API. Silly us.

Right. But Buying Photoshop and other significantly simpler software to make, for 300-500 even 600$ is all good and fun.

And buying games that you have at most 80h of play (unless you are the few that can play CS all day, every day, since it's release, and similar situation, and you never buy any DLCs), for 60$ that is also fine. ~70$ if you are on XBox One or PS4 (at least in Canada).

But no. Developers goes with market share of both Windows and GPUs. And games normally give you the option to use older version of DirectX or OpenGL as well. I still drive a GTX 260 in my desktop. Granted its really time to upgrade (Waiting for Maxwell, which keeps never coming out), but regardless, I can still play "DirectX 11" games, 'cause the game allows you to run them with DirectX9 or/and 10.

Seriously can the forum mod put a MS tag by this guys name? If you are going allow an obvious MS astroturfer to sell and protect a company 24/7 on a forum you should have the company logo on his user name. 

You, and Misanthrope specifically, choose to ignore my posts where I complain or criticize on Microsoft or Microsoft products.

I don't own an XBox One, nor care about it, and I always found that paying annually for online play is stupid, and I don't get how people have no problem spending 60$ for it.

And doesn't mean I know I lot about Windows specifically, that I automatically I am a Microsoft employee nor work at "Astroturfing, Solutions, Inc."

The reason why I know a lot of Windows, is because:

a) I like digging around Windows, and poking things, and re-install, when I screw up.

b ) I develop software, and I strongly believe, in order to make high quality software, you need to know how Windows works, and read the most I can form my free time (as I am still a student at university), about Windows, and I think in this day in age were Windows is the OS with the most market share running on desktop, and laptops, and those convertible devices, and starting to penetrate on tablets, that I should know Windows really well. However, I am not closed signed, I also play around and read up on Linux. If I land a job in doing applications for Android, I would like to start by knowing a few things, same if I do custom software solution for Linux or POS system (which can run on Linux based OS), or embed systems. But yes, currently my focus is on Windows

c) IT is my hobby. I like playing around and trying stuff. Like once I tried to run Vista on a Pentium 3 800Mhz with 512MB of RAM (max that the motherboard supported).

Fun experiment. It worked... well.. "worked". If you consider PowerPoint presentation speed as "working". :) I did it to work at a level "I guess it could be OK, if I am really desperate", by disabling absolutely everything, including security level features. But anyway, fun stuff. I can't do test on it anymore. I wanted to try Windows 7 and 8, but the motherboard died eventually due to the system age, and pushing it to hard with aged and weak components. I guess I could start replacing capacitors and such, but meh, I had my fun. Now its on my last old computer that works, which is the one I mentioned. The Athlon 64 X2 on Socket 939, with upgraded GPU (GeForce 6600 GT 128Mb dies, now have a GeForce 630) and RAM (used to be 2GB, I added 1 GB).

I am on 3 forum section the most... in fact, I rarely visit the other sections.

-> News (as I volunteer my time, in reporting news)

-> Operating Systems (I know the most, and can help people)

-> Monitors (I know quiet a bit, I have done extensive research, and help where I can)

I don't pretend to know thing I don't because that is not helpful to anyone, I guess that is why you think I work at Microsoft, or Dell, or Nvidia, or ASUS, or Logitech, or AMD, or where else I was called to work at. Strangely, Linus does more "ad" on Noctua and soft foam manufacture, that maybe he works at one, and Notua, and he seam to get fancy equipment that other YouTube can't afford, but you don't see people doing this, and he does freaking videos on it. Do I? No. I got other things to do. If you are curious to see what I do (y projects), then PM me, as I can't post on this forum, as it would be against forum rules.

Oh yeah but the problems is the integrated video solution Ati Radeon 2100, it's just fine with a graphics card but my Silverstone HTPC is so small for a discrete GPU and i found XMBC being better solution.

Ah ok. I thought you were running on a discrete GPU. The system I mentioned, runs on a GeForce 630, as my dad uses that computer. I don't know if the old GPU (GeForce 6600 GT) would have worked, it dies a few years back.

Yea, XMBS is better than Media Center. I found that Media Center is conveniently easy to setup, but it's never been updated since Vista, and lacks great number of features compared to XMBC. Stay with what you have.

It's the classic Windows Cycle. Win98 was sweet, 2000 sucked butt, XP was sweet, Vista sucked butt, Win7 was sweet, Win8 sucked butt, and now Win9 will be awesome.

Nvious Yet?

Why is it cheaper when first released?

because the kind of customers that are going to buy an OS on release are the kind of customers that are going to wait to ensure that there current software and hardware is compatible.

You, and Misanthrope specifically, choose to ignore my posts where I complain or criticize on Microsoft or Microsoft products.

What about that thread on Wendell's review of the surface 3? You did nothing but harp on very stupidly minor shit to the point that it was blatant nitpicking. It didn't even make any sense at all: they guy liked the product but you kept trying to blame intel for everything and refused to acknowledge that Microsoft released the full product, not just the OS, and it's hence responsible for hardware/software interaction issues like bad drivers and must fix em or be criticized for it.

It doesn't matters if you throw in a minor Microsoft criticism for the sake of appearances once in a while (all smart fanboys do that) when you have such irrational stances at times.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why you all hating on Windows 95? I thought it was good, as well for Windows 98 and Windows 2000

But then again I was just a kid at that time.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Why you all hating on Windows 95? I thought it was good,

It was as unstable as a house of cards. It was also build on top of fucking DOS which at that point was already quite inadequate. It was so bad many of us jumped on NT and windows 2000 because waiting for XP to come out was taking too long and 95 and 98 were damn useless.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What about that thread on Wendell's review of the surface 3? You did nothing but harp on very stupidly minor shit to the point that it was blatant nitpicking. It didn't even make any sense at all: they guy liked the product but you kept trying to blame intel for everything and refused to acknowledge that Microsoft released the full product, not just the OS, and it's hence responsible for hardware/software interaction issues like bad drivers and must fix em or be criticized for it.

It doesn't matters if you throw in a minor Microsoft criticism for the sake of appearances once in a while (all smart fanboys do that) when you have such irrational stances at times.

The majority of the video, he complaint about Intel graphics limitation, which affects ALL ultrabook, and some of the point he said, all Intel integrated graphics, but blamed everything on Microsoft. That was in addition to a bunch of small errors here and there, all piling up one after another. I was pointing out the errors, but you were defending him saying how right he is, and that indeed, it was Microsoft job to work do their own graphic solution with Intel, like if doing something like that, is easier than making bread.

A simple post pointing out the error on his videos, and you guys escalated it to like the end of the world. I was just informing people who might not know.

The majority of the video, he complaint about Intel graphics limitation, which affects ALL ultrabook, and some of the point he said, all Intel integrated graphics, but blamed everything on Microsoft. That was in addition to a bunch of small errors here and there, all piling up one after another. I was pointing out the errors, but you were defending him saying how right he is, and that indeed, it was Microsoft job to work do their own graphic solution with Intel, like if doing something like that, is easier than making bread.

A simple post pointing out the error on his videos, and you guys escalated it to like the end of the world. I was just informing people who might not know.

No, I'm not recapping the entire conversation because by the looks of it you're still yourself ignoring what's being said: Microsoft selling hardware is not the same as Microsoft selling software, they're liable for hardware criticism even if it applies to other vendors. 

And by the way, I wouldn't talk about escalating and derailing since you're pretty damn willing to continue to reply even when off topic like right now, isn't that against the rules Mr. Forum Volunteer Policemen?

-------

Current Rig

-------

It was as unstable as a house of cards. It was also build on top of fucking DOS which at that point was already quite inadequate. It was so bad many of us jumped on NT and windows 2000 because waiting for XP to come out was taking too long and 95 and 98 were damn useless.

Windows 98 was based on DOS as well. Win9x core was like Windows 1 to 3.x, where it was an overlay of sorts over DOS.

Windows 2000 was identical to XP which got released 1 year after, and was criticizes as a fast release to compete again MacOS X. Every update that XP has Windows 2000 had. It separation started, when Windows 2000 supported ended. XP did started faster, including a friendlier help document, and compatibility (which was not good, but was better than nothing, and high-DPI scaling, which was really not good, and needed some serious work)

It's going to be more aimed towards desktops than mobile (windows 9)

WIth Microsoft every other update is bad

win98 good

win2000 terrible

Win Xp GOOD

win vista terrible

win 7 good

win 8 (&8.1) EXTREMELY BAD

Windows 9 = Amazing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

No, I'm not recapping the entire conversation because by the looks of it you're still yourself ignoring what's being said: Microsoft selling hardware is not the same as Microsoft selling software, they're liable for hardware criticism even if it applies to other vendors. 

And by the way, I wouldn't talk about escalating and derailing since you're pretty damn willing to continue to reply even when off topic like right now, isn't that against the rules Mr. Forum Volunteer Policemen?

I am not the one going off topic. You insult and disrespect me on a different topic, and this is something you do often, by the way, and then blame me that I am the one going off topic, when I reply how wrong you are.

I am not the one going off topic. You insult and disrespect me on a different topic, and this is something you do often, by the way, and then blame me that I am the one going off topic, when I reply how wrong you are.

I don't mind going off topic a little bit specially when it's 4 pages into a topic that won't bother people looking for the news on the first page, you're the one that likes to call out what's against forum rules and what not even when I don't see you as an official moderator and hence should NEVER bring that up.

-------

Current Rig

-------