How much do you care about the sound level of your pc?

Mao_Zedong

Silent or GTFO

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

I really don't like sound. My HDD is current the loudest thing and it still annoys me. Especially when the vibrations come through my desk and up to my hand.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Ive only really recently started caring about the noise of my PC, with having loud poor quality fans and fans on Intel heat sinks just plainly not working (LGA 1366 I'm looking at you :ph34r: ) it does annoy me when the GPU does ramp up. I do current have a pretty much stock 750D and Im fairly happy with the noise it makes, but any louder and I would be unsatisfied.

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

With 9 fans running at 70% and a 290 trying to summon Satan himself into my room

Who needs silence anyway

Well depends on what I'm doing, deadsilent if I'm typing much or for a longer time cause I love my green cherry switches clickediclackedi sound xD, and when gaming it doesn't really matter if it sounds a lot or not cause I'm usually blasting some kind of sweet "HardRocking" music anyways =D

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

As long as I can't hear it from where I sit, I am fine. #2 for me. :)

4, for the times when I'm not wearing headphones or watching videos, I would love my computer to be silent. Just makes everything better and you'll feel more relaxed when you're tired without the noise bugging you.

I think this poll isn't quite true to the question. When reading this, I would pick the option that was synonymous with "I don't really care about the sound level, it just can't be distracting",

not so much a level of sound that I prefer, obviously I'd want it to be completely silent. 

Interesting poll though.

I am obsessed with silence and if it wasn't for a dying HDD my pc would be 100% silent with my custom loop installed.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I'm a 3.

It must be so silent that, while idle it cannot be heard and while under load be silent enough that someone 5 metres away doesn't hear it. However, no self-respecting gamer can ever game with a 100% silent pc.

Wut? elaborate pls.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Non whatsoever it doesn't bother me if it can hear it and it's not clanging shit around its working :) lol jk but I honestly don't really care as long as a plane isn't taking off in my living room or if it's louder than a game installing off of a dvd

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

It annoys the shit out of me if I'm using a loud machine at idle, for browsing, productivity and such.

When gaming tho, I think it is fine. I wear IEMs, so I hear nothing from my outside world anyways.

That said, I use a MacBook Pro, which is not audible at idle (not joking, since the fan is the only moving part, which is extremely quiet at idle speeds, it is dead silent), that first point is fine. When gaming tho, the laptop sounds like the the stock R9 290X in Uber mode (maybe not quite as bad).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Constant sound just ends up being background noise to me.  So, I really don't care if my fans are spinning at a moderately high level (1600+ RPM)  if it is constant.  I also run an AC unit about 3 feet from my desk, so that drowns out my PC completely unless I am running my fans at full blast, which I only do for benching because I don't care about sound at that point. 

I also normally wear headphones, so the noise honestly doesn't bother me unless I'm running my headphones at a low volume.  

My sound tolerance levels over the past year have slowly decreased though. I used to not care at all.  All in the pursuit of performance! Now it is starting to bug me a bit.  Eventually I'll just get a caselabs so I can run a massive amount of radiators and have a bunch of fans that spin at 300RPM. :P

You can see all of my reviews posted in the Member Reviews Section! 

I used to build a PC with tons of fans, the noise level is... well... I didn't realize the PC is actually so loud and I rarely turn it off when I'm at home... once I turned it off one day, it felt so quiet... peaceful quiet...  :lol:

I guess wind noise doesn't bother me much but vibration noise does annoy me... the sound of the fan of my Seidon 240M at 60% is enough to kill me (though 60% doesn't really make the cpu cooler than running at 35% which is dead silent :D ) and the sound of the fan of my GTX680 at 50% is enough to make me stop playing any games.... ;)

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I'm deaf with Cochlear implants and when it's plugged into my PCs audio I can't hear the fans so I really don't care most of the time. I don't like it to be too loud but most of the time I run the fans on max speed.

My old computer had a blower fan on the heatsink which was like a jet engine. I didn't care.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

In the summer, it doesn't bother me. Sweating like a pig, I have a large fan running right next to me which creates far more noise than my computer at max fan level.

But in the winter, the noise drives my inner OCD-self crazy.

I have an itx system which just makes noise more of an issue. But I got it ok quiet and I don't notice it much through my open-design headphones. I used to have a super quiet atx rig. That was easier to pull off.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

I voted 5, though it could be 3-4 also. The thing is that when I have headphones and I'm gaming or watching videos it doesn't matter so much. CPU&GPU coolers have been tuned so I can't hear fan noise over game audio (CPU 70%, GPU 45%). At idle I'd really liked if it would be bit quieter. But because I upgrade system so slowly it means that when I get loudest part toned down, next one get my attention. So cwhile idle, I'd like it to be db or two quieter.

Btw. Should topics get mark like "Featured by @LinusTech" ;)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It really bothers me if theres like a prominent sound like clicking or any sort of distinct, annoying (even if subtle) sound. Otherwise, like fans running and humming noises and what not im alright with those. I voted for a 5, am wearing headsets anyway. 

What?

1 while idle and lite loads. 4 or 5 while gaming. Noctua all the way for me, all ten of them.

The loudest thing in my system are the HDDs (i don't hear them often). Noctua NH-D14 and Nvidia Graphics other then that I have put no effort into keeping my system "silent" I love it.

i usually wear headphone but i tend to just wear one side of them so i can hear my surrounding. i know that defeats the purpose but if i wear them full on i feel to isolated and get yelled at alot so yeah basicly i like my pc to shut the hell up cause i my mind noise is its way of complaining about the load im putting on it. ill get a bunch of radiators soon and make her shut up :P

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Hard to really judge.  I put money into silence (fans, case) but I definitely prioritize other things above it.  So I guess I put a 4.  I just don't want it to be omnipresent in my ears whenever I'm in the room.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU