How much do you care about the sound level of your pc?

Mao_Zedong

I actually liked it when i turned on my desktop and it would wind up like a turbine then start quieting down. But after dealing  with hydraulic presses, shears the sound of a comp fan is a walk in the park. And if its too bad i just set the rpm lower or use a headset.

I fall into a really odd rut with this.

My Main Desktop and Secondary are very quiet (Main is watercooled and second air) and they are both nearly inaudible.

However, as I am a server nut I also have lots of REALLY REALLY LOUD servers hanging around and they don't bother me that much (except when the fans are at 100%) and I can sleep in the same room (fell asleep in a server room once).

I have however modded my 24 port gigabit switch to lower its fan levels (just because they were really whiny)

Other than the servers though everything else is also pretty quiet, not by design just coincidence. (Eg. NAS, Custom Router)

TL:DR = All is quiet, but the servers.

I have corsair sp fans at %60 its about a 5 or 6 but I've gotten used to it...I actually have to go to sleep with it on or I can't go to sleep xD

On my desktop a regularly have my fan curves set to 90% on any component that hits more than 64 C. I care far more about temps than fan noise not to mention my gaming area is near my home's air conditioning unit anyway sound is the least of my problem.

I would be at level 2 on this, for me personally the slight sounds from fans pumps is very annoying. I love my rig being near silent, but I would rather the noise be properly audible then having near silence but it being ruined by a slight hum,

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

I don't like it extremely loud, but the noise typically doesn't bother me unless I'm trying to be quieter with other people around or with my room door open. I can't do silent though, it has to make some kind of noise. Mainly because I panic and think something is wrong if it's dead silent, and also I have tinnitus at an exremely high pitch, so silence drives me insane because then I focus on the ringing. Fans and humming of electronics don't bother me in the slightest, and I find them rather soothing because they allow me a distraction.

Also I hate power outages because then the house becomes 100% silent and my tinnitus is the only thing I can focus on D: Thankfully they don't happen often.

If I have a choice between a cool PC and a silent PC, with fans being the determining factor, I will choose a cool PC every time, even if that means running all fans at 100%, some of which run 3000-5000RPM (depending on the machine).

Not that important to me, I barely notice the fans; It's just rushing air. I usually have some sort of media on anyways (music, youtube etc.) Either through speakers or headphones. Or when the fans turn up, I'm too busy gaming to notice anything. I rather have a cool running PC than a silent PC.

I hate a noisy computer, as it's always on... I don't like to hear it when I'm watching a movie with speakers for example. It's quite silent now (hdd on rubber bands, ax860i, noctua CPU fan.. All fans are spinning low, so I keep everything under 80°C. Don't care if it's at 40 or 80°C as long as it performs the same (OCed 3770k and GTX 780).

The most noisy part in my PC is the gtx 780 acx, maybe due to the cheap case (elite 430).

My hdds stop spinning after 10mn of inactivity, so I can listen to music on internet with a near silent PC..

And it's very quiet under load too... Can't hear the ax860i, the 780 is really quiet too compared to my old 570, and the CPU fan doesn't ramp up...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4260182476

CPU - Intel 3770k @ 4.5GHz + CM 212 EVO + Noctua NF-F12/ GPU - EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX / PSU - Corsair AX860i / Motherboard - Z77A-GD55 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM / HDD - 1.5TB WDC Black - 3.0TB WDC Red - 120GB Sandisk Extreme - 500GB Samsung 850 / Display - Asus PB287Q 4K and Asus VG248 + 3D Vision 2 glasses / Mouse - G500s 

Since I sit right next to my tower and I don't like using headphones for extended periods, sound is very important but not extreme so I chose 2. I primarily custom watercool for this reason, overclocking ability is second.

Custom watercooled PC specs in profile.

My GTX 660 is basically quiet, so the rest of my pc is 0%fans until 50-55 degrees, then it's pretty much hard to hear. Also, i didn't spend anything trying to make it silent, just turned the fans down using the speedfan setup guide.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

If playing games, I usually use headphones, so PC noise is not an issue.

At all other times; when working, web browsing or streaming WAN show for example; I use speakers. As I live in a flat they can't be turned up very loud, hence quietness of my PC is very important; I voted 1.

Im almost always wearing headphones and my rig is pretty quiet to begin with to noise is never a problem for me. Though if my graphics card is getting kinda hot ill turn up the fans and then it gets kinda noisy.

I'm around a 2 or 3. Little noise is fine since my surround sound covers it up easily :)

I'm a 2....

Hence All the Noctua fans n Cooler and Corsair 550D i used for my Build.. :)

i leave my pc on 24/7 for some VM hosting, during the day i'd say i'm at 5 or 6, but when I sleep I'd like it to be atmost 3

I do have a Noctua NH-L12 in my ITX build but unfortuntly I cant squeeze the 120mm fan in it :( the 92mm fan gets a bit loud during 100% cpu load in my VM,

Importance and reality are two very different things.....I would really, REALLY love a quiet build but im still saving up.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

at least it can silent when not in full load it'll be fine, because if it isn't it'll disturb my enjoyment of watching movies or listening musics. in game it doesn't bother me too much since i most use a headset for gaming

CPU i5 4670k @4.5GHz | Motherboard MSI Z87M Gaming | RAM 2x4GB Patriot Viper 3 | GPU MSI GTX 760 Hawk | CPU Cooler CM Nepton 140XL | PSU Corsair RM550 | Case BitFenix Prodigy M

I usually wear headphones but on the off chance that i'm not wearing headphones it is usually when i am playing borderlands 2, in which case the gunshot sounds drown out the fans anyway, or when I am watching anime, in which case I just use my fan controller to turn down the rpm's a little.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

3. Because I place my PC in the living room of an apartment and there are people sleeping in the morning due to night shift. It must be quiet enough that it is not irritating and at the same time not sacrificing performance.

A decent amount is fine. I dont use headphones so whenever I game, I usually crank up the volume high enough not to notice anything coming from the case/GPU.

I need a silent computer for recording purpsoses. I have a fairly quite PC atm and it still comes through my mic.

I'm at a 2ish 3 as I have my pc right next to me and can't stand it being loud even when my headphones are on.  Only time I can live with it being loud is when I play games as long as it doesnt sound like a jet engine.  Currently have the stock cooler on and it is too loud for my liking because my h220 died again and was denied RMA (long story).  So I'm currently debating between the Dark Rock Pro 3 and Dark Rock 3.  

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

I'd prefer a 70 dba pc over an ambient of zero decibels. Everyone would though.

As long as it isn't jet engine levels (or a whiny sound) I don't mind at all. I actually enjoy my fans/computer making sound, kind of soothing. :)

Actually...I wouldn't mind jet engine sounds either if it wasn't for the fact that it bothers the others around me. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |