Metric vs the other one

Well a bit of both really. The UK is strange like that.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I understand both metric and imperial. I Iearnt the metric system from having spent so much time abroad and I rebel against my American roots by using the metric system at all times.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

What are you trying to say about England :)

Just saying because England invented the system and they have moved on.

Please don't hurt me!

Just saying because England invented the system and they have moved on.

Please don't hurt me!

we still use miles and mph :) but otherwise metric 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

we still use miles and mph :) but otherwise metric 

Yeah i think miles is a good measure of distance unless you go interstellar deep space and use MEGAMETRES! What do you folks use going down? I feel that centimetres and millimetres are much better than the imperial counterparts.

Yeah i think miles is a good measure of distance unless you go interstellar deep space and use MEGAMETRES! What do you folks use going down? I feel that centimetres and millimetres are much better than the imperial counterparts.

It really depends, there are some things which I will always think about in inches but generally I use mm an cm for smaller things.  Luckily "most" people understand you regardless of whether you give a length in centimetres or inches. 

Saying that there was a girl in my AS physics class who was asked to measure something in centimetres but did not know how to do this because her ruler was in millimetres ...

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

It really depends, there are some things which I will always think about in inches but generally I use mm an cm for smaller things.  Luckily "most" people understand you regardless of whether you give a length in centimetres or inches. 

Saying that there was a girl in my AS physics class who was asked to measure something in centimetres but did not know how to do this because her ruler was in millimetres ...

Ha! That was the one thing i didn't understand growing up. Centi- was only used in distances and i couldn't wrap my 6y.o. head around why 1000cm didn't equal a metre.

For the Americans, milli is latin for 1000 and centi for 100.

Ha! That was the one thing i didn't understand growing up. Centi- was only used in distances and i couldn't wrap my 6y.o. head around why 1000cm didn't equal a metre.

For the Americans, milli is latin for 1000 and centi for 100.

That's okay when you are 6 years old, this girl was 18 

I live in Asia where everyone uses the metric system. So yea metric. Besides there are only a few counties left using the imperial units for measurement unfortunately America being one of them so it'll take a long time before they switch over to Metric as well

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Metric ofcourse i only use inches for Monitor & TV measurments.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I have dealt with some kilos before... :P

the only time i use imperial is for tools, aka 3/8ths drive 1/4 inch drive, and height, 6'1' sounds heaps nicer then metric 185 :P 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Metric , except for cars rims and screen size

Interested in Business and Technology

metric is much better for smaller things, or where calculations are key, but imperial is still the best standard for things like height, weight, and all that. more just out of tradition than anything else. you're a lot more likely to hear someone say they're 6 foot other than 1.8m if you get me. 

Yes but at the same time it's better to say that a specific body part is 15 centimetres than 6 inches, if you get me  ;) .

Both, it depends on what you are doing. You should learn both.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

I commonly use metric, but as a machinist, its so much easier using imperial. Any machinist in the house?

The Imperial system should have died ages ago. I know most of the conversions between both off the top of my head, but still. Die Imperial scum!

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I use Imperials, but I was taught in school how to convert to SI.

Australian here. Imperial system seems like a lot of work to me. The metric base 10 system seems so much simpler and more accurate I just don't see why the Yanks are still stuck on the old way. Even England has moved over. I though Canada used metric anyway?

Congress tried for metrication back in the 70s, but most people were either indifferent or disdainful towards their efforts, so the funding for it was cut in the 80s by the Reagan administration. Nothing has really been done since then.

I'm working with the Metric system everyday. But since the Institute I work at, has a partnership with Nasa, I have to use the Imperial system quite a bit too, and honestly ? It sucks balls

HxaIif9.jpg

They can't even spell 'Metric' correctly lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I think one of the only reasons we still have imperial is because America: World Police. - "Nope!, We wont conform to do things your way even though its clearly much simpler, because we are the best so every one else must change to our stupid ass way of measuring".

Congress tried for metrication back in the 70s, but most people were either indifferent or disdainful towards their efforts, so the funding for it was cut in the 80s by the Reagan administration. Nothing has really been done since then.

I would just change it, the next 5 years every label, street sighn, speed indicator, book has imperial and metric on it than the following 10 years imperial is only very small on it. than is just disappears and then nobody will ever miss it again.

it's pure laziness. 1Liter water = 1kg weight = 1dm³ volume. its just so nice...try that with gallon, pound and cup :D

Canadian here. Not sure if this applies to everyone here like it did to me, but I'm using a complete mashup of things. I think it had something to do with my parents teaching me certain things that they learned when they were young while being also taught metric in school (I think Canada only switched to metric starting in the mid 70s).

For example, I know my own height in feet and inches, but distances (and speeds), little measurements and such in Metric. But then again, I know screen, car wheel and bike sizes in inches...

Air temperature is in Celcius, but water temperature is in Fahrenheit!

Weight in pounds, but volumes in metric units. 

It doesn't make any sense!

Does anyone else use a non-sensical combination of both systems? Also when did your country adopt the metric system?

Shows like Vsauce already went on and displayed both systems... - sure gets you a lot more people that actually understand what you're talking about. If Linus for example says a cable is 3 feet long, I have no clue how long that is... 

Just an annotation put in by the editing would just be fine :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.