Metric vs the other one

I know both, but being Canadian, I use a mix of both.

I know my height in Ft. I know my weight in pounds. I know temperature, distance, and speed in Celsius and Km respectably.

Also, metric is more awesome, want to know why? Well, what the definition of a pound? Around 0.45359237 Kg.

And what's the definition of a Kg a measure of? Well, it's currently a block of platinum, but it's soon to be the amount/mass of atoms in a 1Kg ball of Silicon 28.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I know both, but being Canadian, I use a mix of both.

I know my height in Ft. I know my weight in pounds. I know temperature, distance, and speed in Celsius and Km respectably.

Also, metric is more awesome, want to know why? Well, what the definition of a pound? Around 0.45359237 Kg.

And what's the definition of a Kg a measure of? Well, it's currently a block of platinum, but it's soon to be the amount/mass of atoms in a 1Kg ball of Silicon 28.

Interesting video.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

They can't even spell 'Metric' correctly lol

Oh my god, that's embarrassing. In my defense, I was at work and quite tired ;P

i massure in both grew up learning both form my dad as he worked in normthern canada for a amarican oil company and they used both so i had to learn to use both he said

Am like you I was brought up using both systems, one system you learned from school the other with the real would use, its kinda handy to use them both but even if you don't know both you can easily find an app or or table to convert from one to the other

Cry Havoc!

Shows like Vsauce already went on and displayed both systems... - sure gets you a lot more people that actually understand what you're talking about. If Linus for example says a cable is 3 feet long, I have no clue how long that is... 

Just an annotation put in by the editing would just be fine :)

3 feet = a yard = almost the same as a meter

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

Oh my god, that's embarrassing. In my defense, I was at work and quite tired ;P

rofl it'll be fine for now :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Canadian here. Not sure if this applies to everyone here like it did to me, but I'm using a complete mashup of things. I think it had something to do with my parents teaching me certain things that they learned when they were young while being also taught metric in school (I think Canada only switched to metric starting in the mid 70s).

For example, I know my own height in feet and inches, but distances (and speeds), little measurements and such in Metric. But then again, I know screen, car wheel and bike sizes in inches...

Air temperature is in Celcius, but water temperature is in Fahrenheit!

Weight in pounds, but volumes in metric units. 

It doesn't make any sense!

Does anyone else use a non-sensical combination of both systems? Also when did your country adopt the metric system?

Same here, I'm guessing almost everyone in Canada uses this strange system.

Imperial is absolutely useless. I am amazed that anyone still uses it.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Imperial is absolutely useless. I am amazed that anyone still uses it.

how tall are you?

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

how tall are you?

1.74m. Why?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

1.74m. Why?

So you're 5"8?

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

So you're 5"8?

Or 1740mm, or 174cm, or .00174km, or 1.74E9nm, etc. See how how metric is better?

Here in Canada we learn and use both.

Corsair 650 D Case  - I7 2700k OC to 4.5  - 16 gb 1866 corsair vengeance ram  - 7970 OC 1200 MHz Clock speed stock memory speed  - Xonar STX  - ASUS Maximus IV EXTREME-Z  - Corsair AX850 PS  - 2TB HardDrive - Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD as the boot disk for windows 7 Pro  - Das Ultimate Silent Keyboard  - Razer Deathadder Mouse  - Sony MDR V6 Studio Monitoring Headphones  - 2Benq G2420HD Monitors

Here in Canada we learn and use both.

Pretty cool in a way, saves a lot of money converting everything from one to another.

Also converting isn't exactly difficult

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Canadian here. Not sure if this applies to everyone here like it did to me, but I'm using a complete mashup of things. I think it had something to do with my parents teaching me certain things that they learned when they were young while being also taught metric in school (I think Canada only switched to metric starting in the mid 70s).

For example, I know my own height in feet and inches, but distances (and speeds), little measurements and such in Metric. But then again, I know screen, car wheel and bike sizes in inches...

Air temperature is in Celcius, but water temperature is in Fahrenheit!

Weight in pounds, but volumes in metric units.

It doesn't make any sense!

Does anyone else use a non-sensical combination of both systems? Also when did your country adopt the metric system?

For some stupid reason we use inches for rim and screen sizes. And for power figures for engines, we use Nm for torque but HP for power in everyday speak and kW for documentation :-$

I'm American... sometimes I feel like we were given this Imperial system by the English, then everyone else in the world changed INCLUDING England and now people think we're crazy for using it. Same as soccer, Soccer is an English term created in England. We took that name and now everybody makes fun of us for saying soccer instead of football!

I don't know what it took to convert other countries, but I don't ever see it happening here.

Imperial because I live in the U.S and at school they POORLY taught us the metric system but I use it sometimes not knowing what I'm talking about.  Seriously they taught us the metric system real bad. 

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I remember when Josh Smith from fractal was a guest in Linus' livestream.  He said that he understands Celsius in temperatures of CPU/GPU, but he also said that he has no grasp of it outside of computers.  Like if someone told him that it was 20ºC outside, he wouldn't know what that meant unless he converted it.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)