Metric vs the other one

Imperial but it sucks... I use Celcius for computer temperatures though ;P

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

Weight: I honestly have no firm  grasp of the weight of a pound or a kilogram.

A kilogram is the weight of one litre of water.

A pound is one and a half cups of human male adult incisor teeth.*

*I actually have no bloody clue, but it's something like that.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I was watching Linus' video about the Razer Edge and noticed that when talking about the weight of the device he use pounds instead of grams.

So my question to the forum users, which of the two measurement systems do you use?

Also no matter the result of the poll, I would like it if Linus added metric system readings to his videos, because frankly pounds inches and the likes mean absolutely nothing to me, and probably to other viewers as well.

Very good idea, but personally I'd like him to remove all Imperial measurements entirely.

Australian here. Imperial system seems like a lot of work to me. The metric base 10 system seems so much simpler and more accurate I just don't see why the Yanks are still stuck on the old way. Even England has moved over. I though Canada used metric anyway?

Our products require there to be metric labeling, but often times Imperial will be included as well. In speech, people tend to use Imperial except when referring to many scientific quantities.

Everything in my country is metric. Only screen sizes are inches.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

90% of measurements, I would use the metric system. The only imperial I use would be for speed (mph) and distance (miles) when referring to travelling. Ireland only swapped to the metric system for road signs a few years ago so we are still used to it. Britain still has imperial road signs. Actually I would also still say weight using stone but only really for body weight. Anything much smaller or bigger than body weight, I would use kilos/grams or tonnes (metric tonne that is).  

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

well that's not physics at all that is systems of reference and units because on metric system force is not kg is Pa as main unit; and the fact of considering two different kinds of "weight" make thinks quite different

I'm sorry but aren't kg and Pa two different type of units? as far as I know Kg is for mass and Pa for pressure, with Pa being equal to N/m2 and N (unit for force) being kg * m/s2.

so Pa is equal to kg/(m*s2).

To summarize so it's easier to read what I mean:

• Mass is measured in kg
  • Force is measured in N and it's mass (kg) * acceleration (m/s2)
  • Pressure is measured in Pa and it's Force (N) / surface (m2)

Am I missing something?

edit: you said that the gravity acceleration you are doing is not constant (9.81). This is normal, the force of gravity is equal to (G*m1*m2)/r2 and it's measured in newton.

To calculate the gravity force over the Earth you use Fg = m*9.81 because if you take the equation above and you insert the values for G (gravitational constant, 6.67384*10-11 N*(m/kg)2), m2 (Earth's Mass, 5.9736*1024 kg) and r (Earth's radius, 6,371 *106) and solve it you will end with Fg = m1 * 9.81.

I also changed all "^2" into "2"

use imp because i live in 'merica. but i hate it

I wish we would start the transition to metric already (America). It would simplify a lot of problems/inconveniences. Since metric is Base 10, it would be a lot easier to learn than whatever random intervals Imperial is measured at. 

I mostly use metric now because college science classes are brainwashing me

Canada's measurement systems are messed up.

Basically, most people over 60 still use imperial.

Everyone else uses this:

Speed: Metric  (Speedometers have secondary markings for miles.)

Length/Height/Weight: Imperial

Liquids: Metric(Excluding cooking)

Temperature: Metric

Anything 'official': Metric

The schools are required to teach imperial and metric, I'm assuming this is because of Canada and the US being big trade partners.

Even England has moved over.

What are you trying to say about England :) 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I generally use metric because the decimal system makes more sense, and I've always used SI units. Although there are some cases where I'm more used to using imperial because that's how they're usually measured (such as display sizes, pints of beer, wheel sizes etc.)

People that use metric for speed just want to feel like they are going fast when they aren't.  

People that use kilograms instead of pounds just want to feel like they are not big fatties

People that use metric for speed just want to feel like they are going fast when they aren't.  

People that use kilograms instead of pounds just want to feel like they are not big fatties

This assumes that anyone that has ever used metric knows imperial measurements so they can compare the two...good job?

This assumes that anyone that has ever used metric knows imperial measurements so they can compare the two...good job?

Its called jokes son,  don't be so defensive :P

Its called jokes son,  don't be so defensive :P

Never know, some people can be that ignorant. :P

Kilograms are universally used for measuring drug weight holmes.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

At school we was taught both but I much prefer metric and since Australia is metric that is OK by me :)

10mm = 1cm
1,000mm/100cm = 1m
1,000m = 1km
1,000g = 1kg
1,000kg = 1 tonne
1,000ml/100cl = 1l

it's just a far superior measuring system

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

metric is much better for smaller things, or where calculations are key, but imperial is still the best standard for things like height, weight, and all that. more just out of tradition than anything else. you're a lot more likely to hear someone say they're 6 foot other than 1.8m if you get me. 

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

you should add on option to the poll of both, many of the people in here say they use both.

I'm sorry but aren't kg and Pa two different type of units? as far as I know Kg is for mass and Pa for pressure, with Pa being equal to N/m2 and N (unit for force) being kg * m/s2.

so Pa is equal to kg/(m*s2).

To summarize so it's easier to read what I mean:

• Mass is measured in kg
  • Force is measured in N and it's mass (kg) * acceleration (m/s2)
  • Pressure is measured in Pa and it's Force (N) / surface (m2)

Am I missing something?

edit: you said that the gravity acceleration you are doing is not constant (9.81). This is normal, the force of gravity is equal to (G*m1*m2)/r2 and it's measured in newton.

To calculate the gravity force over the Earth you use Fg = m*9.81 because if you take the equation above and you insert the values for G (gravitational constant, 6.67384*10-11 N*(m/kg)2), m2 (Earth's Mass, 5.9736*1024 kg) and r (Earth's radius, 6,371 *106) and solve it you will end with Fg = m1 * 9.81.

I also changed all "^2" into "2"

As i said that thing only works in a very weird units system which only engeneers use

every system has 3 main dimensions, both imperial and metric use as dimensions Lenght; Mass andTime

but the engeneering system uses one more dimension which is Force

so metric & imperial. M, L, T

engeneering system: M,L,T,F

so Pa cannot be used in that weird system because it's dimensions are [M]*[L]*[T](-2) which as everybody can see is a combination of the rest-------units: Kg*m*(s^-2)=N/m^2=Pa

so in the engeneering system any force measure must have only one dimension [F] because is considered a main dimensionunit:

so, how are they gonna call it?

unit of force: Kgf    (force kilograms )                                            unit of mass in engeneering system :Kgm (mass kilograms)

because that unit stuff is not confusing enough they decided to call it just like it's mass brother, just for the lolz i guess, because i think we can agree that is pretty retarded to call same (except for the tiny m or f depending on the case,

which also uses to be omited because you are suposed to be an engeneer and you have to know what your reading/talking about) two thing that for almost aaaaall time were one dependant of the other.

just to add a bit more of light

E.G:

F=m*a 

Engeneering system

F=m*a is not dimensionally consistant; why?  Because Force (F) is considered a fundamental dimension so that means that it also has to appear in the other side of the ecuation

(dimensions of a= [L]*[T]^-2      units of a= m*s^-2

[F]=[M]* [L]*[T]^-2   the units of the ecuacion right now are :    Kgf=Kgm*m*s^-2

so they fixed that fokin mess that they fokin created just for fokin fok the fokin students this way

gc=9.81[(m*Kgm)/(s^2*kgf)

so now if we solve  gc*F=m*a  is dimensionally correct because in both sides we have m*kgm/s^-2

for more info check 

Basic Principles and Calculations in Chemical Engineering:International Edition (page 8 - 10 in the spanish edition) which actually was my first engeneering book

Well use both so can't vote as that is not an option and mad because the U System is also not an option, as in 1U, 2U, 3U, 4U, etc. I use it as much these days B)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I prefer metric, but I have to use both.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

I don't mind using inches etc for TV measurements

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

But i prefer Linus as a unit of measurement

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review