What would you guys want to become standard on PC hardware?

theroflcopta

No more on-board video connectors on high-end mobo's, at least not those big stupid connectors for VGA and DVI. I've seen so many high-end mobo's with only 2-4 USB2/3 ports on the rear IO cluster because the video connectors for VGA/DVI take up so much space it makes me cry. 

Ye ole' train

Cases with all the wiring integrated, so you could just slot in the motherboard, PSU, all HDDs, SSDs, optical drives etc. without having to clutter the inside of the case with wires.

Consumer dual cpu motherboards. And consumer cpus that support parallel operation of course, possibly even between somewhat differend chips like amd allows to do crossfire between similar but not perfectly equal gpus.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

theroflcopta   how does your psu cope with all that your running of it 500w for a evga 780?????

WiFi on motherboards. Not everyone needs it, but enough people do that it shouldn't be a special feature.

And general screwless installation.

I wouldn't be so sure. Got a Wifi motherboard from msi and it was a propriatary add on card which literally broke the first time i plugged the antennae in and I can't find a replacement.

Also Wired is the only true solution.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I wouldn't be so sure. Got a Wifi motherboard from msi and it was a propriatary add on card which literally broke the first time i plugged the antennae in and I can't find a replacement.

Also Wired is the only true solution.

I'm certain. Wireless is a well used feature on many PC's these days, and a necessity on mine.

I just want a chip built into the motherboard, it doesn't have to be a mini addon card - the thing just needs to be capable of finding a signal. Asus lost about $150 of my dollars when I went with the cheaper board because the more expensive option didn't have WiFi, so the addition of a wireless card meant I would've have lost the advantage of the extra PCI-E slot.

As for wired, wired is unnecessary for most tasks - latency isn't that important for general use, and for me it's simply not an option. WiFi is barely an option - I have to have a shielded antennae and an internal card, if I use a USB dongle I won't get a signal. And since I move alot for work, I don't often have access to a plug (like now).

That's my point, it just needs to be a thing, I shouldn't have to ask "does this have WiFi"? WiFi is in pretty much every house with an internet connection, so every computer should be able to receive it.  It doesn't even need external antenna that takes up space on the I/O shield. 

I'd like to see every PSU become modular.

For the most part, I agree. However I've worked on smaller systems where there simply isn't room to plug in modular cables, so non-modular still has a place in very specific circumstances, but I agree - modular should be the rule, not the exception.

Different sized Slimmer/Longer yet still powerful PSU's to create a "shelf look" at the bottom of my case

Right-angled Sata ports being "Standard fare"

Bootable USB port directly on Motherboard being "Standard fare"

HD AUDIO pins on Motherboards to be moved/rerouted closer from the left corner above the PSU to the other righthand side headers or next to the Sata ports.

^Mostly cable management.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1. Something like a Steam sale for hardware would be epic. 

Or how about a choice of free games/software with certain parts 

"Black edition" parts (including black sleeved cables)

Modular rear I/O ports

Standardised mounting mechanisms for CPU coolers

Short cable kits 

Option for no stock cooler (especially for unlocked CPUs)

M.2 sockets, at least on ITX boards

Sockets for GPU's with a direct interface to the GPU

another more realistic thing would be memory that the CPU and GPU can both access simultaneously being standard.

This, hands down.

I'd even be ok with PBC upgrades as well, a GPU mobo so to speak, that you have to update every so often. But the ability to swap out coolers, vram and best of all GPU chips in an out would help tremendously.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Cases with all the wiring integrated, so you could just slot in the motherboard, PSU, all HDDs, SSDs, optical drives etc. without having to clutter the inside of the case with wires.

That's a bit problematic: it would invite people to design cases for specific boards. It's why I wouldn't get that new mITX case from EVGA for example: several reviews mentions that if you don't get an EVGA itx mobo (which granted it's pretty good apparently but still) the built can suffer

-------

Current Rig

-------

theroflcopta   how does your psu cope with all that your running of it 500w for a evga 780?????

Perfectly fine the PSU is as silent as the night. The GTX 780 and the 4670k are pretty low on power consumption so I can get away with it. I'd be a little nervous if I went down to anything lower like a 450 watt. But you really don't need that high of wattage PSUs in most builds : /

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

This, hands down.

I'd even be ok with PBC upgrades as well, a GPU mobo so to speak, that you have to update every so often. But the ability to swap out coolers, vram and best of all GPU chips in an out would help tremendously.

Yeah I had this idea awhile ago for a motherboard stile GPU where you can cherry pick and chose what you want on the card. Might be more expensive up front but might save you money in the long run. It was the first topic I ever posted and everyone shot it down haha idk i thought it was a good idea xD

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

No more on-board video connectors on high-end mobo's, at least not those big stupid connectors for VGA and DVI. I've seen so many high-end mobo's with only 2-4 USB2/3 ports on the rear IO cluster because the video connectors for VGA/DVI take up so much space it makes me cry. 

you do know that there is a limit to USB ports, so having 4 usb ports is the limit the mobo can support... 

removing the VGA =/= more USB ports, not how it works

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Here is my wish list for a new standard that replaces ATX

I would like to see a new standard where all cables plug in to the mobo from the back.

Shielded front panel audio cable.

Motherboard audio is on a separate standardized modular pcb. (This could even be on the back side)

Motherboard Ethernet is also modular.

Instead of having three different sizes of mobos make it so there is a base size and then extensions get snapped on as needed.

All cases have a fan control solution built in that can handle every possible fan configuration on said case.

All possible fan intakes have filters.

All power cables come with cases and not the psu so they are the right length.

All LEDs can be dimmed or turned off.

Front panel connections fit in a standardized 5.25" or 3.5" bay so as to be easily replaced.

Memory height is standardized so as not to cause clearance issues.

All colored items on mobo can be swapped for a different color.

CPUs don't come with a paper weight ie stock cooler.  

Display port 1.2a is adopted and nothing else is used.

10 Gb Ethernet is an option.

Backup batteries can be installed inside the case.

1 Timothy 1:15

Black PCB's and black cables

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I wouldn't mind a standardized system for the front I/O connections on motherboards. It baffles me that some manufacturers have to include a little adapter that lets you connect the little power switch and LED wires to it, and then plug THAT adapter into the slot on the mobo.

Why is this not a standardized header yet!?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

For me it's right angle 20+4 pin connectors. It just baffles my mind that so many high end mobo still angle it up when they have use right angled sata connectors it just confuzzles me that some 350 dollar mother boards dont have this feature. *cough* Asus *cough*

attachicon.gif24 pin.jpg

i'm also including right angled USB 3, frick it just right angle all the connectors on the right side of the mobo it makes cabeling look SOOOOO much cleaner :I

Would be worlds cleaner if all the power, jumpers, SATA, USB2.0, Fan Connectors, Power/Reset/HD-LED/etc. were all on the back of the mobo, that way you'd never see that crap. Stopping at just a right angled connector is like accepting half a fail. If you want to be serious about clearing out all the fluff and improving air flow over the hot components moving the connectors to the back side would solve it all. Yes, you'd have to buy a case that would allow you do still have access to these on the back connectors. Aesthetics, cooling and elbow room for water cooling would improve 100%.

Please don't stop at half a fail.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Right angled USB can cause a slight signal loss. (Which was talked about by JJ, I think in the Tek Syndicate video.)

Right angled 24 pin can cause issues with case compatibility. (Talked about in the same video I believe.)

I'd still love to see them, but only if done right.

I would really love to see cases and motherboards made, so that stuff like the 24 pin, 8 pin, and all headers were on the BACK of the motherboard, so that wires would attach from behind the motherboard tray.

Only read you post after eagerly posting mine. Rear for any connector internal to the case for sure.

(didn't mean to ignore/pass-up)

I would want all psu's to be modular. and graphics cards to be just like motherboards I.E a wide choice of boards with different features and prices, the ability to choose and upgrade ram, the ability to choose and upgrade GPU. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Here is my wish list for a new standard that replaces ATX

I would like to see a new standard where all cables plug in to the mobo from the back.

Shielded front panel audio cable.

Motherboard audio is on a separate standardized modular pcb. (This could even be on the back side)

Motherboard Ethernet is also modular.

Instead of having three different sizes of mobos make it so there is a base size and then extensions get snapped on as needed.

All cases have a fan control solution built in that can handle every possible fan configuration on said case.

All possible fan intakes have filters.

All power cables come with cases and not the psu so they are the right length.

All LEDs can be dimmed or turned off.

Front panel connections fit in a standardized 5.25" or 3.5" bay so as to be easily replaced.

Memory height is standardized so as not to cause clearance issues.

All colored items on mobo can be swapped for a different color.

CPUs don't come with a paper weight ie stock cooler.  

Display port 1.2a is adopted and nothing else is used.

10 Gb Ethernet is an option.

Backup batteries can be installed inside the case.

Rear of mobo I'm with but all the separate(ation) is just going to cost more.