What would you guys want to become standard on PC hardware?

theroflcopta

Rear of mobo I'm with but all the separate(ation) is just going to cost more.

It shouldn't cost too much more as it would reduce the number of skews a given manufacturer would have to make per chip set.  Asus is already putting audio on a separate PCB why not standardize it.  The same with front panel connectors.  They should have a standardized plug and be in a standardized form so as to be upgradeable. 

If there was a standard for plugs on the psu they all could be fully modular and just slide into the case which would be prewired.

1 Timothy 1:15

I know that it wouldn't happen but i would like much better stock heatsinks for CPUs that were better for cooling and were silent. :(

Yeah this ^^^ just give you a few options maybe or something idk. I'd like to have a 120MM down draft cooler option or something : /

Huh. I wish they wouldn't include them at all and cut down on costs, then we can get whatever heatsink we want.

Imagine if we had the 4790K instead of the 4770K from the beginning because they saved money on the lack of heatsink and used better TPU. Almost everyone with a K processor uses a different heatsink regardless...

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I want cases with Qi wireless charging docks. Whether they put these on top or the side of the case idc. I think this is a no brainer imo considering most phones have wireless charging capability.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

you do know that there is a limit to USB ports, so having 4 usb ports is the limit the mobo can support... 

removing the VGA =/= more USB ports, not how it works

Intel can fix that in the next chipset, therefore this comment is stupid.

RAM comb "heatsinks" to die a horrible death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats wrong with that ? it looks alot better then without 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Intel can fix that in the next chipset, therefore this comment is stupid.

what?? he said that because the VGA took to much space intel couldnt place any more USB ports... i corrected him saying that the chipset / media controller can only so much USB ports so that they probably used all of them... How is my comment is 'stupid' then? 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I'd like to see every PSU become modular.

Oh, and Wifi on every motherboard. It kind of seems like a necessity nowadays.

I think on it boards where you have hardly any expansion this should be more of a thing. But on full size boards I really don't care for wi-fi seeing as my 45m Ethernet cable is a thing

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Headphone hooks on cases. I modded one onto my R4, but then couldn't get it off to put it on my new case today. Kinda dampened the experience of getting a new case.

A second bank of I/O on the back of the motherboard. Use 5.25 inch size so user have the option to move in front if they desire. Support brace for GPU. The rest already mentioned by others such as:

-Right angled 24 pin

-Unified case connector

-Wifi/bluetooth built-in on all motherboards

-QI charging on cases/monitor stands

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

what I really, really really want to see is an intermediary device, between your headphones/mic and your computer, where you can dock your phone, and answer phone calls using your headset without pausing your game, or awkwardly holding your phone against your shoulder while playing the game half arsed...

Heck it can even charge your phone and act as a connection between phone and PC for file transfer.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Let's see, it isn't much.

• Right angled connectors
  • No brown PCB if the rest of the build is black, blue, yellow etc etc
  • Better stock coolers
  • No more ugly rainbow colored wiring showing. PLEASE SLEEVE THEM!
  • More front USB 3.0 ports
  • Less expensive ;)
  • Dust filters for the fan positions
  • Purple theme mobos :)

I can't really think of much else at the moment.

I have no idea on right angle connectors, or Brown pcbs existance...

Stock coolers must suck It'd basically ruin the market if they didn't it'd be better if they just like didn't include them and gave you a coupon for a better cooler xD And Rainbow colored cables I read an article recently apperently some companies bought tons of the rainbow colored cables years ago and are still using them to this day (it's what happens when copper prices hit a new low I guess)

YES MORE 3.0... Now your just being cheap.... meh I hate dust filters they ruin airflow for fans... and Purple mobos would be cool but Like Asus's mobos should just have 2 tones and you choose from various colors for say their whole ROG line up, not everyone likes black and red or gold...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Huh. I wish they wouldn't include them at all and cut down on costs, then we can get whatever heatsink we want.

Imagine if we had the 4790K instead of the 4770K from the beginning because they saved money on the lack of heatsink and used better TPU. Almost everyone with a K processor uses a different heatsink regardless...

Yeah but those heatsinks are so crap and mass produced they are probably not that big of a factor into the additional cost so you wouldn't be saving much and a lot of people on budget builds would be left out to dry : /

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Yeah but those heatsinks are so crap and mass produced they are probably not that big of a factor into the additional cost so you wouldn't be saving much and a lot of people on budget builds would be left out to dry : /

Note that I said K versions. Who the heck buys a 4670K or 4770K on a budget?

EDIT: Low budget, that is.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Black PCBs and dust filters are a plus. Another good idea would be to have all the drivers in a package for download instead of downloading individually.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

On modular psu's use standard connectors. It would be nice to be able to replace the cables with your choice without having to go the extensions route.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Case HD and power LEDs and reset switches motherboard pin-outs so we could use a standard "case connector" plug.

OH MY GOD IT'S SUCH A GOOD IDEA.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Case HD and power LEDs and reset switches motherboard pin-outs so we could use a standard "case connector" plug.

Do you mean hard-wiring the front panel connectors into something resembling Asus's Q-Connector, and having that be suited to whichever motherboard you could ever want in the case?

For me it's right angle 20+4 pin connectors. It just baffles my mind that so many high end mobo still angle it up when they have use right angled sata connectors it just confuzzles me that some 350 dollar mother boards dont have this feature. *cough* Asus *cough*

attachicon.gif24 pin.jpg

i'm also including right angled USB 3, frick it just right angle all the connectors on the right side of the mobo it makes cabeling look SOOOOO much cleaner :I

nah its a bad idea because not all cases will have back door cable management think about it. if i bought a prebuild dell computer and i have to cahnge the motherboard it would be way harder for me to fit the 24 pin

Headphone hooks on cases. I modded one onto my R4, but then couldn't get it off to put it on my new case today. Kinda dampened the experience of getting a new case.

One million times this! I am so sick of messing around with headset stands I just want one on my case

Note that I said K versions. Who the heck buys a 4670K or 4770K on a budget?

EDIT: Low budget, that is.

Oh right right sorry haha

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

nah its a bad idea because not all cases will have back door cable management think about it. if i bought a prebuild dell computer and i have to cahnge the motherboard it would be way harder for me to fit the 24 pin

Well I'd say most computer towers have enough room to have the 20+4 pin coming at it from an angle but yeah I could see how that can be an issue. But again I'm meaning this from like premium MOBO perspective. Like 170ish+ in price. Where you are probably investing in a case that has decent cable management.

Do you mean hard-wiring the front panel connectors into something resembling Asus's Q-Connector, and having that be suited to whichever motherboard you could ever want in the case?

Yeah just one single plug. Similar looking to a USB 3 connector but for your front IO